E2 visa and marriage

Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Kathy27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa and marriage

Hi all,

New to the forum and just seeking a little advice.

I am a British citizen, and I am moving to the US for a job with my company on a E2 visa. All very exciting but I have a French boyfriend (we have been together just under a year) and am looking to get him over as well!

He will be looking for a visa /job of his own but failing this we have planned to get married (we were planning this in the future anyway!). I have searched endlessly and it seems if we were married when I applied for my E2 visa, there would be no problem obtaining one for him. However I can't find any information on if it happens the other way round!

Thanks for any help - I'm just trying to get ahead of any issues we may encounter, Thanks!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 visa and marriage

Originally Posted by Kathy27
I have searched endlessly and it seems if we were married when I applied for my E2 visa, there would be no problem obtaining one for him. However I can't find any information on if it happens the other way round!
There's really no problem either way. His E-2 visa (as a spouse) will be a derivative of yours - so all he'll need is a copy of your valid visa and a copy of the marriage certificate. Once he has both, he can make an appointment at a US Consulate abroad to get a visa in his passport. He can't move to the US until he has a visa - but if he has a visa prior to you moving, you can go together... otherwise, he can "follow to join".

Ian
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Kathy27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ian!

However I thought 'follow to join' only applied if we were married before I got E2 status?

Thanks,

Kathy :-)
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathy27
Thanks Ian!

However I thought 'follow to join' only applied if we were married before I got E2 status?

Thanks,

Kathy :-)
OP is conflating the immigrant and the non-immigrant side of the equations. On the non-immigrant side, a marriage after admission in the particular status will support the concomitant "accompanying" status.

[BTW, there is a difference between "accompanying" and "following to join" -- one which is not relevant here. That said, I think that accompanying might be a more useful term for analytical purposes.]