Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E2 visa - immigrating to USA - personal story

E2 visa - immigrating to USA - personal story

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Srack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 visa - immigrating to USA - personal story

When I wanted to get an e2 visa by investment, all I red are some lawyers speaking about it. So I said I'll share my experience over the forums. Originally I got a Lithuanian passport but I used to live in Leeds.
I came across a restaurant owner in Ohio while I traveled there for 4th of July events 4 years ago. Since the guy had an accent I decided I'll ask him how he got there. He told me he got e2 investor visa with only 40,000 invested.
After talking to my wife we decided to do the same.
We basically made a franchise agreement with the restaurant he did, and we chose for a location that is cheaper to open in Ohio. The process was easy. We went to see the area. Traveled to find a location with the owner, and they walked with us for the entire process. We signed a franchise agreement and paid only 5,000 dollars. The rest was to paid after we arrive to USA on an e2 visa. That's because you don't actually have to invest the money before you arrive, but show "intentions" to invest !
The franchise agreement was for 45,000 and it includes the owner helping us for half a year. Supply the equipment. Supply. Food. Training. Help with design and staff. All we had to do separately is sign a lease agreement on the property.
With the contract we filed for e2 visa. We did pay extra 1250 dollars I believe to have an e2 expedited service. In that matter they have to reply to you with something (the uscis for that matter) within 15 calendaric days (not business days) or your money back!
They gave us ROI asking to prove we have the whole sum of money to invest (45,000) plus another 20,000 dollars for living. They also asked to see we have ties to our homeland.
After we emailed them the documents (the embassy actually emailed us the roi) they scheduled us an interview. The process from filling to interview was 34 days sharp.
We were asked basic questions. With important questions - do you have intentions to immigrant to USA. Which we said no.
We got approved on the spot for 1 year e2 visa. When we landed in USA we got 2 years staying permit on the passport. That is being renewed every time we enter.
A month before the expiration of the e2 we went to Canada and back. And poof. 2 more years.
When they came to expire we filed for i129 locally in USA. Again. Expedited. And we got a new visa for 2 years within 10 days. No interview. No questions. As long as the business is working and operating. 3 years from the time we started we already bought another franchise for the same restaurant in another city. We also bought trucks and a lot for storage which is considered in the total invested. And now we even check an option to convert the investment e2 visa into green card by investment as we are in a rural area that requires much less investment and more important about how many employees and revenue you got.
So. E2 isn't a myth. It can actually happens.
I can answer any questions you got on the process as we basically did it ourselves without any lawyers !
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 visa - immigrating to USA - personal story

Hey and welcome to the forum.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Srack
E2 isn't a myth.
No one has ever said that the E-2 is a myth. However, there is no direct path to a green card - which is why many people choose not to pursue the visa.

Ian
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Srack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No one has ever said that the E-2 is a myth. However, there is no direct path to a green card - which is why many people choose not to pursue the visa.

Ian
Well. Actually if your investment pass 500k and / or hires certain amount of people, you can file for green card while on e2 visa.
And it's easier to get to it as the investment sum combines together. Everything you buy, equipment, machines, anything besides payrolls - is considered. So theoretically it's just a matter of time. Right now on our last renewal we were at 385,000 after buying the buildings our restaurant sits on. So we are probably 8 months away from 500k on rural area :-)
Old Aug 5th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

JOK1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to the forum but I am also looking to do the same as you and buy a business and move to the USA, I currently own a business in the UK which I intend to sell and use this money to invest in a new business in the USA.

You may call me and my family mad but we have been working in the same industry since 1986 and are looking for a change of lifestyle and a change in direction.

Can I ask did you apply from the UK or from Lithuanian?

Did you use any lawyers to assist you?

Sorry for the questions but any assistance from people who have gone through the process is a great assistance to me and my family.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Your heading is misleading as E2 is a non immigrant visa. There are thousands of us on E2 visas, it certainly is no myth, but so far no path to green card and kids age out at 21. I think I heard the thresholds are going up for EB5.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JOK1;12309932]I am new to the forum but I am also looking to do the same as you and buy a business and move to the USA, I currently own a business in the UK which I intend to sell and use this money to invest in a new business in the USA.

You may call me and my family mad but we have been working in the same industry since 1986 and are looking for a change of lifestyle and a change in direction.

Could you keep your existing business and start a branch up here under a L1 visa? Currently that does lead to a greencard.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

brpatel83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am interested E2 visa but i already have immigration application in F4 category from my sister. Does that affect my chances of getting E2 visa?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brpatel83
... i already have immigration application in F4 category from my sister. Does that affect my chances of getting E2 visa?
No.

Ian
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

brpatel83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Old May 16th 2018, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

lman is an unknown quantity at this point

They gave us ROI asking to prove we have the whole sum of money to invest (45,000) plus another 20,000 dollars for living. They also asked to see we have ties to our homeland.
After we emailed them the documents
Thanks for posting your case. What documents did you send a proof that you have ties to your home country?
Old May 16th 2018, 9:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Iman ... please note that Srack has not been back to the forums since July 2017 ... 10 months ago. It is doubtful that he will be reading and/or responding to your question.
Old May 21st 2018, 10:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Well. Actually if your investment pass 500k and / or hires certain amount of people, you can file for green card while on e2 visa.
This bit is the myth, you can't use your existing investment and people you've hired in E-2 towards your EB-5, USCIS has spent ages on rules in this regard, it has to be an extra $500,000 and most importantly ten new jobs in addition to any existing jobs. Mr Folinsky has pointed out on here many times the only exception to this rule is if the E-2 business is a distressed business thus the EB-5 investment saves the existing jobs in the E-2 business. E-2 and EB-5 officially have zero relationship to each other, they are completely separate sections of US immigration law.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

nffcbasford is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my invitation letter today, which is approximately 33 business days!

However, after reading all of the posts on here, I rescheduled the appointment I had for mid oct, to one late oct so it wasn't within the 45 days (and there was only 3 dates available in oct when i checked, so didn't want to lose one of those).

Super happy we've now got an appointment date... super pissed off I got my invite 2 hour after I changed it!

Question: Does anyone know how to arrange collection of Passports after the interview?

I currently have them scheduled to be delivered to my parents address, the issue is, I don't want to go back up north, they will be at my house in the US (because they found it appropriate to schedule a visit to see me, whilst i'm in England! SMH) and I want them back sooner.

I can't see an option online to select this, is this something we can arrange on the day?

Thanks

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 27th 2018 at 7:41 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Courier instructions probably can't be changed on the day (any more).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.