E2 visa help re: fees

Old Oct 28th 2016, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Tuckster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 visa help re: fees

Thanks for the above, apology accepted, no hard feelings.

We won't be staying in Manhattan. We've looked at very affordable places in Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens. My current commute (including walking to the train station) is an hour and a half, so if I cut that down to 45 minutes, I'm laughing!

Does anyone know... based on an E-2 visa, whether she has to pay anything towards this, or is it just automatic based on my primary visa? Basically, if we can avoid these lawyers fees, we should be okay. The money we're going to save will help us through the "waiting for an EAD" period.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuckster
Does anyone know... based on an E-2 visa, whether she has to pay anything towards this, or is it just automatic based on my primary visa?
To my knowledge, there are no fees associated with a derivative visa... regardless of visa type.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2016, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
To my knowledge, there are no fees associated with a derivative visa... regardless of visa type.

Ian
I agree.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2016, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, good to know.

Although it turns out from a meeting I had today that the lawyers are working on something that would enable my wife to work immediately. If that pans out, then I'll keep everyone informed. I think if that is indeed the case, it's worth paying the lawyers. If it's not the case, then we shall be eschewing them when it comes to her visa!

Thanks all!
Old Oct 28th 2016, 3:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, good to know.

Although it turns out from a meeting I had today that the lawyers are working on something that would enable my wife to work immediately. If that pans out, then I'll keep everyone informed. I think if that is indeed the case, it's worth paying the lawyers. If it's not the case, then we shall be eschewing them when it comes to her visa!

Thanks all!
Sounds interesting....maybe they are getting her her own E2, not a dependant? But that's only good if she's going to be working for your company. Otherwise, there's no work visa they can get for her without a sponsoring employer. Please do keep us posted!

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2016, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Call me cynical...
Old Oct 28th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the above, apology accepted, no hard feelings.

We won't be staying in Manhattan. We've looked at very affordable places in Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens. My current commute (including walking to the train station) is an hour and a half, so if I cut that down to 45 minutes, I'm laughing!

Does anyone know... based on an E-2 visa, whether she has to pay anything towards this, or is it just automatic based on my primary visa? Basically, if we can avoid these lawyers fees, we should be okay. The money we're going to save will help us through the "waiting for an EAD" period.
She'll have to apply for the visa to be put in her passport - so the DS-160 fee whatever that is now and then the fee when she applies for the EAD when on the ground. But the lawyers don't need to do any of this - you both can do these parts.
Old Oct 28th 2016, 7:01 pm

London: E visa is $205 (payment by debit card only)
EAD is $380. No biometrics fee.

So $585 that you guys have to pay is nowhere near the $3,000 the lawyers are quoting. And there's nothing for the lawyers to even do for her dependent visa, so all kind of odd.

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2016, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

OP as someone else mentioned, your wife could simply stay in the UK working up until her EAD comes through (take a few days off to accompany you to the US and apply for it and then leave and continue her job until necessary).

I have no idea what your lawyers would be working on that would allow her to work immediately: they probably think that an EAD is issued on the spot perhaps? Although a friend of mine received her EAD within two weeks so the 90 day thing is merely a worst case scenario.

Re moving to NYC: no one mentioned all of the massive up front costs that you have to fork out for when moving to the US from abroad. You'll need a large chunk of money to tide you over for at least the following things:

- At least 3 months worth of rent up front (first, last and security deposit). With no credit history or list of previous landlords, your landlord will want security and may demand a large security deposit. first/last is normal in the US.

- Money for essential furnishings: most houses are rented unfurnished. They do have Ikea here but it's not as cheap as you'll be used to.

- Utilities deposits: with no credit history the cable company will ask for up front payment of several months of service to guarantee that you will pay and it's pricey. We pay well over $120 a month for an internet connection (no TV or phone). Same with mobile phone contracts ($100/month t-mobile global for 2 people).

- The cost of fresh food in the US is shocking: a trip to the local supermarket will have you longing for the aisles of Tesco within in days.

Not trying to put you off at all but just making sure you factor in these very real expenses.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
I have no idea what your lawyers would be working on that would allow her to work immediately: they probably think that an EAD is issued on the spot perhaps?
In early 1998, I was one of the last people who got an actual EAD card at the POE. For a year or two after, you could still get an EAD stamp from JFK, but by 2001 they had completely discontinued that practice.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2016, 10:21 pm

In early 1998, I was one of the last people who got an actual EAD card at the POE. For a year or two after, you could still get an EAD stamp from JFK, but by 2001 they had completely discontinued that practice.

Ian
Sadegh got the EAD stamp at JFK in 2004.. it is definitely discontinued now, though.

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2016, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sadegh got the EAD stamp at JFK in 2004.. it is definitely discontinued now, though.
Ah, I hadn't realized they continued the program that long! Thanks for the update. Yah... it was a great service while it lasted.

Ian
Old Nov 7th 2016, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sherbert
OP as someone else mentioned, your wife could simply stay in the UK working up until her EAD comes through (take a few days off to accompany you to the US and apply for it and then leave and continue her job until necessary).

I have no idea what your lawyers would be working on that would allow her to work immediately: they probably think that an EAD is issued on the spot perhaps? Although a friend of mine received her EAD within two weeks so the 90 day thing is merely a worst case scenario.

Re moving to NYC: no one mentioned all of the massive up front costs that you have to fork out for when moving to the US from abroad. You'll need a large chunk of money to tide you over for at least the following things:

- At least 3 months worth of rent up front (first, last and security deposit). With no credit history or list of previous landlords, your landlord will want security and may demand a large security deposit. first/last is normal in the US.

- Money for essential furnishings: most houses are rented unfurnished. They do have Ikea here but it's not as cheap as you'll be used to.

- Utilities deposits: with no credit history the cable company will ask for up front payment of several months of service to guarantee that you will pay and it's pricey. We pay well over $120 a month for an internet connection (no TV or phone). Same with mobile phone contracts ($100/month t-mobile global for 2 people).

- The cost of fresh food in the US is shocking: a trip to the local supermarket will have you longing for the aisles of Tesco within in days.

Not trying to put you off at all but just making sure you factor in these very real expenses.
Yeah... all good. As I mentioned before, I've got colleagues already over there who have given me the lowdown. As such, my company is going to act as a guarantor re: the rental/no credit history situation. I've already put together a list of Ikea furnishings, and we're shipping beds with a few other items. I have prices for all this. We're only really looking at No Fee apartments too.

Very interesting news re: the EAD coming in two weeks though! Thanks!

Basically, the situation we're in comes down to this: We're going to have enough money to either get us through 90 days on just my salary OR pay these lawyers fees... but not both. And from what folks are saying it looks like we could easily avoid paying her fees and just apply direct.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 1:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I hadn't realized they continued the program that long! Thanks for the update. Yah... it was a great service while it lasted.

Ian
It was. Jim got his at Calais when he entered the US back in 1998.

Also a great pilot program and bit the dust was the immediate AOS of K-1 beneficiaries the day they applied in person in certain areas of the country. I recall Dallas being one of them as was the upper peninsula of Minnesota.
Old Nov 7th 2016, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
Jim got his at Calais when he entered the US back in 1998.
Yup - Calais is where I got mine also.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.