E2 visa help re: fees

Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Tuckster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E2 visa help re: fees

I'm told I've got my head in the clouds, not thinking clearly, that I'm half-assing it, and *I've* got the attitude?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuckster
I'm told I've got my head in the clouds, not thinking clearly, that I'm half-assing it, and *I've* got the attitude?
Cool it! You have said you doubt if it can happen and others have said the same, especially those with specific knowledge of living and working in NYC.

Leaving aside the EAD issue for your wife, it is most unusual to be kept on the same UK salary and be paid in the UK while working here. It speaks of an employer who does not understand the implications of international moves or who does, in which case beware. To move to NYC you should be paid in USD at the NYC city rate for the job.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

I'm perfectly cool, I don't really understand what the panic was about.

To clarify, I would be paid in $ but they would set that salary based on the current exchange rate, I hope I'm making sense. And the pound to dollar rate is obviously shocking at the moment.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife doesn't need to wait the whole time in the USA for her EAD. She just has to be in the USA before she can apply for it. So it's possible for you both to come to the USA together, she applies for EAD, gets biometrics done (if needed), then she can return to the UK to continue working there until her EAD shows up in the mail in the USA. During that time, maybe she can get close to being hired at your sister's company, and then come to the USA to start working after her EAD arrives.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify, I would be paid in $ but they would set that salary based on the current exchange rate, I hope I'm making sense. And the pound to dollar rate is obviously shocking at the moment.
No, it doesn't really make sense to me. They need to pay you in USD using a figure that is typical for someone who is in your position in the USA. Your UK salary shouldn't factor in.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rene, re: your first post. That is certainly a glimmer of hope!

Re: your second post, I entirely agree with you, but unfortunately they don't see it that way. Trouble is, they don't *need* me to work in the US. I'd be doing the same job as over here. If it was a case of me being needed over there, then I'd certainly expect the appropriate salary and other help with the move. Unfortunately, this is a case of it being merely "handy" for them and mega exciting for us (until we got to this point anyway).
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well you know the deal, up to you to take it or leave it.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, it doesn't really make sense to me. They need to pay you in USD using a figure that is typical for someone who is in your position in the USA. Your UK salary shouldn't factor in.

Rene
I don't think they "need to" at all. If it was H1-B - then they would be required to offer a salary reflective of 'the going rate', but not so on an E - or an L1-A/B for that matter. I know this to be true in my case. When I was transferred here (L1-A), my employer paid me what my then UK salary converted to in $$$ at the prevailing exchange rate.

Everything in the OP's posts makes sense to me - I think he's quite clearly explained his position - and arrived at the conclusion that it doesn't add up, if his wife isn't able to work from day one.

I think that calling his questions about his circumstances "half-assed" and then accusing him of having an attitude, is arrogant, a bit rude and singularly unhelpful.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Awesome Welles. I did feel rather put upon to be honest, which was rather rubbing salt in the wound!

But regardless, we're still waiting to get the ins and outs from my company's lawyers. It's not completely dead in the water just yet. If we can get enough savings behind us before we go, we may well be able to weather the time it takes for my wife's EAD to come through.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

But regardless, we're still waiting to get the ins and outs from my company's lawyers. It's not completely dead in the water just yet. If we can get enough savings behind us before we go, we may well be able to weather the time it takes for my wife's EAD to come through.
I'd suggest that the other important thing for her to look into is whether the possible job that you mentioned is definite or not. Otherwise, it could take a few months after obtaining the EAD for her to actually secure employment and it would make sense for you to take that into consideration in your financial estimates.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, fully taken into consideration. She has a few options. The dream would be for her to waltz straight into my sister's US office of course, but we'll see!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Awesome Welles. I did feel rather put upon to be honest, which was rather rubbing salt in the wound!
You may have done, but Rete did raise some very valid points (she's just a straight talking Noo Yawker - get used to them if you do move ). You mention your research in to the cost of living in New York and think that you will be better off there if your wife can work, but can I suggest that you start a new thread about the cost of living and expenditures you can expect in the main US forums? There may be things that you haven't thought about, or just to get an idea from those that live there what they pay in terms of taxes, healthcare, bills etc and if they think you will be better off or not.

I know nothing about living near NYC, but everything I've read on the forum says that you would need quite a bit more than the UK equivalent to live a similar lifestyle, so it might be worth checking with those in the know by asking on a new thread. Or searching old threads, for instance this one has just popped up in my search - http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...salary-861277/ You should find others from professional couples without kids to give you an idea of what you'd ideally earn.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 27th 2016 at 3:34 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hopefully this comes across attitude-free, believe me, I'm perfectly calm.

I have about 10 colleagues who've already made the move, and they've told me to expect re: take home pay, cost of living, healthcare, the whole bit. I know about the annual federal tax return too.

However, none of my colleagues were married and went over on I visas (journalists) or they were married to a US citizen, which is why the visa question was an unknown quantity.

Despite Rete thinking I was born yesterday, I'd already done all this stuff months ago. It's only as we've gotten to the business end that this visa question has come up (both the surprise of us having to pay £3,000 AND the fact that my wife couldn't work straight off the bat).

Thanks for the good luck wishes, it's certainly better than being told I'll be seen in the soup kitchen!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Despite Rete thinking I was born yesterday, I'd already done all this stuff months ago.
Fair enough, but in Rete's defence how was she to know that? It was clear that you hadn't researched visas, so I'm sure you can understand why she didn't think you'd researched everything else. She may have jumped to a conclusion, but that's hardly a crime, and if you hadn't done that research her points would have been valid and given you some valuable info that you may not have thought of.

Not saying you were wrong (or that she was), but just pointing out another point of view - her words could well have saved somebody else from making a huge mistake and trying to survive in NYC on £50k (I've no idea what your salary will be, just using it as an example of somebody that would be struggling with the move and cost of living). So whilst it wasn't helpful to you, it may have been incredibly helpful to somebody that had done less research, or even others that read this thread in the future. Different strokes for different folks and all.

HTH.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In your original post, you were far from forthcoming with information on the scope of your future immigration and whatever research you had done in living expenses for New York City proper and on your wife's ability to work. You were concerned primarily with the lowered exchange rate of pounds to dollars and how it would effect you ability to live in a very expensive city and the fact that your employer wanted you to pay for your wife's visa.

Frankly, you did not give out information that you had researched anything about your move to the US and we and I were negligent in not drawing the information out of you before commenting.

You continually stated that without your wife's salary you could not live here and that you were going to be paid in the UK. You did not say until later that the company was converting your present salary to US dollars and paying you that salary in the US. You will be taxed on that salary in the US.

I was fortunate to be able to live across the street from what foreigners call NYC which was actually the Bronx and not considered by New Yorkers to be NYC or to some called Manhattan. I earned just under a six figure income and lived in a rent stabilized 900 sq. ft. one bedroom apartment with a rent of less than $700 per month. My monthly commuter rail ticket was $90 a month from my pocket as my company gave us prepaid vouchers to pay for the rest of the ticket at their expense. Since I was in the suburbs and owned a vehicle, I had the ability to shop for groceries, produce, clothing, etc. at some of the more major stores that offered great prices. For you, I have broken this down for a person living in Manhattan. BTW I have several friends who do live in Manhattan, one in the Village and another in the Yorkville section of Manhattan (around 96th street, eastside). So my numbers are fairly accurate.

Rent: Studio apartment on West End Avenue, 519 sq. ft., $3,260 per month
Utilities: Cooking gas and electricity a/k/a Con Ed $100 per month rising to $250 - $300 per month during June, July, August, September for Air Conditioning.
Metrocard: $2.75 per ride on either the subway or bus. 2.75 X 10 = 27.50 per week to get back and forth to work or $110 a month. There is a slight discount if you put $20 or more on a metrocard at one time.
Groceries: Only 2 major supermarkets in Manhattan (one around Harlem - 125th Street Westside and one at 34th Street Westside). You will end up using the Korean grocery store for fruit and veggies or in season farmer's markets either in lower Manhattan or at Lincoln Center on Saturday's midtown around 62th street.
Lunch during Business Hours: On the average figure $10 to $15 a day for a sandwich and beverage. You can always brown bag it or have something from a sidewalk food vendor (which isn't cheap either) or a slice of pizza. At $10 a day this would be $50 a week or $200 a month.
Taxes: Federal, New York State and New York City
Other withholding: Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, Disability Insurance, perhaps Healthcare Insurance
Other Insurance: Renter's insurance perhaps $100 - $200 per year depending on where you live and what you are insuring, i.e. furs, jewelry, etc.

Your wife's EAD application at the moment would cost $380. The fee is going up in December to $410. Even if she gets a job with the company the sister works for, your wife cannot work until she has the EAD in hand. She can apply for the job, she can be offered it, and she can accept it to start when she is authorized to work but not one moment before.

Yes, the visa is up to the company but I still think it is not very worthy of them to offer you a position, at a salary, that will not allow you to continue the lifestyle you are currently enjoying to live in a city where you will require two salaries and have no guarantee that your wife will be able to work more than a menial job. Are her skills transferable to the US employment market? At the very least, their offer should include a salary that would allow you to live comfortably without facing hardship if your spouse does not work from day one or ever.

I'm sorry you considered my remarks rude. They were not meant to be. They were honest based on your posting without full disclosure. I quite often find that the way Brits write and speak to be quite offensive and condescending to Americans. So, guess we are even in our misconceptions.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 27th 2016 at 4:59 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.