SEVIS “NO SHOW” Status

Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:07 am
Just Joined

GG306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SEVIS “NO SHOW” Status

I posted on here the other day about being sent to secondary on my last trip to the U.S. I assumed this was due to my departure from my previous visit, however, I have dug a little deeper and found out my SEVIS status is “NO SHOW”.

To recap, I was due to study in the U.S. for the 2016/17 academic year, however, due to personal issues I had to return home. I had flown out to the U.S. and returned the following day. As I had entered the U.S., my host university had to put my status as a “NO SHOW”. This has apparently put a flag on my record.

I was wondering how bad this actually is? If it means going to secondary every time that is a pain but I can live with it. However, if it could potentially mean I am denied entry then I will never be able to visit the U.S. again as paying for a holiday to gamble getting accepted would be irresponsible.

I understand that “NO SHOW” means I have, in the DHS’ eyes, misrepresented myself to gain a J-1 visa, however, surely as I only stayed in the U.S. for one night (which could have been covered by ESTA if visiting for a short period was my intention) and paid £6k for the first semester, I was actually intending on doing my year abroad.

I was granted entry in the summer despite this, however, I am concerned other officials could be stricter.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:22 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SEVIS “NO SHOW” Status

Why start a second thread about the same issue? You've already received advice regarding your situation in your original thread.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did you contact your host University and explain you family emergency which meant you could not fulfill your academic year? Did you get a refund of your fees?

In most Universities there is a Withdrawal Procedure and for International students this takes into consideration their immigration status for F-1 or J-1's.

Google "Withdrawal and Refunds US University procedures" or something similar.

There's nothing "surely as I only stayed in the US for one night" about it - you have/had a J-1 visa and was then entering the US on the VWP?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 31st 2017 at 1:32 am.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Did you contact your host University and explain you family emergency which meant you could not fulfill your academic year? Did you get a refund of your fees?

In most Universities there is a Withdrawal Procedure and for International students this takes into consideration their immigration status for F-1 or J-1's.

Google "Withdrawal and Refunds US University procedures" or something similar.
Yes, I did inform them and was given a refund. They put my status as something else but the State Department contacted them and forced them to put me down as “NO SHOW” as a result of entering the country.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There's nothing "surely as I only stayed in the US for one night" about it - you have/had a J-1 visa and was then entering the US on the VWP?
What do you mean?

2016 - Entered the U.S. on J-1 visa. Returned following day.
2017 - Entered the U.S. on ESTA.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GG306
What do you mean?

2016 - Entered the U.S. on J-1 visa. Returned following day.
2017 - Entered the U.S. on ESTA.
Not knowing exactly when the J-1 ran from and to (I presumed it went from start of course sometime in 2016 to late summer 2017), you had a valid J-1 and re-entered the US on a VWP.

In any case that is now by the by - you have "No show" on your record for a J-1 visa.

Have no idea how you would expunge that.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just came across this very interesting document issued by Homeland Security concerning descriptions of termination reasons:

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/sev...nation-reasons

Yours is there: No show based on the fact you entered the US but failed to report to your school.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:41 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

And I mentioned this before.... anyone can be denied entry into the USA except USCs. You have no automatic right to be here. You request permission to enter as everyone else does. You seem to be concerned about potentially being denied entry and having wasted money on a holiday you cannot take and enjoy. That's the risk everyone runs when they travel overseas.

You had a J-1 to study. You used this to enter but failed to report to classes. In order for you to get a flight to go back 24 hours after arriving it must have been a huge family problem (death of a parent or similar) so being taken to secondary every time you come here (and how often is that? You make it sound like you're here every two weeks or something) is the least of your problems. If it bothers you that much, go to Disneyland Paris instead. What's such an ordeal with secondary? They ask questions and sometimes look through your belongings. They don't torture and starve you to death.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
And I mentioned this before.... anyone can be denied entry into the USA except USCs. You have no automatic right to be here. You request permission to enter as everyone else does. You seem to be concerned about potentially being denied entry and having wasted money on a holiday you cannot take and enjoy. That's the risk everyone runs when they travel overseas.

You had a J-1 to study. You used this to enter but failed to report to classes. In order for you to get a flight to go back 24 hours after arriving it must have been a huge family problem (death of a parent or similar) so being taken to secondary every time you come here (and how often is that? You make it sound like you're here every two weeks or something) is the least of your problems. If it bothers you that much, go to Disneyland Paris instead. What's such an ordeal with secondary? They ask questions and sometimes look through your belongings. They don't torture and starve you to death.
I know anyone can be denied entry but it is pretty obvious that I am at higher risk of this than the average tourist.

There's no "ordeal". It's just that every flight to the U.S. is long, so that means at the end of a long flight I am faced with a few hours waiting in secondary every time which adds to general travel stress. It's not really that hard to decipher why I am panicked.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 9:53 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I know anyone can be denied entry but it is pretty obvious that I am at higher risk of this than the average tourist.

There's no "ordeal". It's just that every flight to the U.S. is long, so that means at the end of a long flight I am faced with a few hours waiting in secondary every time which adds to general travel stress. It's not really that hard to decipher why I am panicked.
If you find it all so stressful, why don't you just avoid travelling to the USA altogether?

You've opened up two identical threads on here and consequently that is why you are are now receiving identical advice. The answers won't change just because you ask the question in a slightly different way.

Take some personal responsibility and make an informed adult choice - either travel to the USA in the knowledge that you could be denied entry at any time, or don't bother going at all.

What's it to be?
Old Oct 31st 2017, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, perhaps you should consider flying to the USA via Dublin.

In Dublin you can clear US immigration and have that serve as your POE.

That way in the rare (and it really is rare if you look at the figures) circumstance that you are denied you only have the flight from Ireland.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

tom169 perhaps has the best solution.

OP has never stated what the family emergency was. I brought this up in the other thread - very unusual to have a situation where, 24 hours after arriving, one has a "family emergency" that results in a no show rather than just a deferral. If it was a death in the family I would expect a student to go back for a few weeks and then the student to come back and report.

So I believe there is more to OP's story than is being shared here. OP if you want better advice then you need to be more forthcoming.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 11:13 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I was also at a very high risk of being turned away under "suspected immigration intent"
because I'm a spouse of a USC. In over 40 visits I went to secondary once and was grilled quite intensively at the main desk once to the point where he asked for the name of my manager and phone number to check that I really was going back to work the following week.

You have been in secondary once and you are planning to come back in 2019 or something. As I said, it's not like you have to go through this every week or month. Yes, the flight is long but it is what is. You pays your money and you makes your choices.

First world problems!

If it's such an issue, choose another holiday destination. Florida isn't the only place with Disney and fast food.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is you've already successfully entered the country after the 'no show' issue anyway. Yes each officer is different, but that's the case whether you have this issue or not. Since you've already come in and left as you said you would, I'm hoping that would at least show your intent is not to be in disagreement with the terms of your ESTA. Try not to overthink things. Being questioned in secondary is really not that huge in the grand scheme of things. I know it can be tiring, especially after such a long flight.
Old Oct 31st 2017, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fbf2006
The thing is you've already successfully entered the country after the 'no show' issue anyway. Yes each officer is different, but that's the case whether you have this issue or not. Since you've already come in and left as you said you would, I'm hoping that would at least show your intent is not to be in disagreement with the terms of your ESTA. Try not to overthink things. Being questioned in secondary is really not that huge in the grand scheme of things. I know it can be tiring, especially after such a long flight.
Thanks for your reply. I think your rationale is the most sensible and at least having been accepted since the status may mitigate it in the future.