E2 - Advice please :)

Old Mar 19th 2018, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

FindingOurWay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E2 - Advice please :)

Hello all,

I hope you’re all well.

I wanted to ask some questions relating to an E2 visa.

A bit of backstory:

My parents purchased a business and moved to Florida over 10 years ago. At the time, I was under 21 so I also went over for a short time. Obviously my E2 visa expired and I returned to the UK.

Fast forward 10 years - I am engaged to be married, and both of us (my fiancé and I) absolutely love Florida. We have spent a lot of time over there with my parents in the last 10 years and we feel like we would also like to relocate.

I had a couple of (perhaps stupid) questions:

- Does the fact that my parents have been in Florida on an E2 visa for a decade help me in any way?
- Does the fact that I used to have an E2 visa help (or harm) me in any way?
- What is, realistically speaking, the easiest way to get over there? I’m assuming it’s simply an E2 visa in our names?
- Is this easier to accomplish once you are married? Are there any advantages / disadvantages of trying to do this before / after marriage?

If my parents were to eventually obtain a conditional green card, I assume they can petition to have me join them (only if I am not married at the time?) and I can then petition to have my fiancé / wife over also? I’m assuming this is the lengthiest process and will take years.

Any help / advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E2 - Advice please :)

Your old visa...nor your parent’s visa will not help you gain a US visa. Only US citizens can sponsor children...not GC holders. Even then you are looking at approx 10/15 years...maybe longer or not at all by that time.

You will need to be able to secure a visa yourself...please read the following....

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

FindingOurWay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your old visa...nor your parent’s visa will not help you gain a US visa. Only US citizens can sponsor children...not GC holders. Even then you are looking at approx 10/15 years...maybe longer or not at all by that time.

You will need to be able to secure a visa yourself...please read the following....
Jerseygirl,

Thank you - much appreciated. I will have a thorough read!
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FindingOurWay

- What is, realistically speaking, the easiest way to get over there? I’m assuming it’s simply an E2 visa in our names?
- Is this easier to accomplish once you are married? Are there any advantages / disadvantages of trying to do this before / after marriage?

Kind regards
It isn't really that simple. Do you have the funds to purchase a business? And additional funds to set up your life in the US? Do you have experience running a business that would stand you in good stead when applying for an E2 visa?

If you are married, your wife can come with you as a dependent, and then apply for an EAD to work outside the business -- better than applying for the E2 50/50, in case her employer is able to sponsor her for a green card. If you are not married, she would need her own visa.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:42 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Only US citizens can sponsor children...not GC holders.
GC holders can petition unmarried adult children. Amazing how many of them suddenly marry after they arrive and send off the spouse petition before the ink's dry on the passport stamp. But I digress...

Unlikely that the E-2 parents will ever become green card holders anyway so probably a moot point.