Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by saran
Hello MSGD,

Just saw your post regarding getting your E3 visa and your wife's E3D visa stamped in Jamaica.

I have some questions and hope you can help me out.

1. Did you have to get a Jamaica Visa to travel to Jamaica? I am an Australian Citizen, but my Wife is an Indian Citizen, does she needs a visa to visit Jamaica for US visa stamping?

2. What is the appointment wait times for US consulate in Jamaica? Could you send me web links to book an appointment?

3. Did you book a return ticket to the US before going to Jamaica or did you book the ticket to US after you received your stamped visa? If so how many days did you give yourself for the Visa process?

4. How many days did you have to stay in Jamaica in total and did you stay at a Hotel nearby?

Appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks!
Hi saran,

1. neither you nor your Indian wife need a visa to travel to Jamaica. just tell the immigration guy the reason why you are visiting Jamaica.

2. wait time when i booked the appointment in Kingston was about 30 days but you would only know the next available dates once you create the account and fill out the details.you would need a submitted DS160 to book an appointment.
following is the link to DS160

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

here is the link to jamaican conusulate

https://usvisa-info.com/en-JM/selfse...ountry_welcome.

3. Yes i had booked a return ticket and you would need to give yourself at east 2 days from the day of interview to pick up your passport. you would usually get it back in 2 days if not the next day. I was lucky and the interviewer was a nice bloke and told me to pick up on the same day but it wasn't ready when i went there so ended up collecting it on the following day.

4. as far as hotel goes it depends on the individual. Spanish court hotel was very good and not too far away from consulate.

hope that answers your questions
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

MSGD....Here is the checklist for applying EAD for your spouse.

For EAD: (For Spouse/Wife)

1. Form I-765 (Use Category A17 for a question)
2. Application Fee
3. Current EAD Card Copy.
4. Color Photos - 2
5. Employee Passport Copy, old Visa copy, I-94 front and back copy.
6. Wife/Spouse Passport Copy, old Visa copy, old and new I-94 front and back copy, I-797 copy.
7. Marriage Certificate Copy.

Where to File: (For East Coast)

USCIS
Vermont Service Center
ATTN: I-129, I-539, I-765
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001
Thank you saran for providing detailed info about EAD application process.
one question though, how do I pay the application fee for I-765? and since they made I-94 online we would have to print out and attach it to the application supporting documents. wouldn't we?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

saran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msgd
Hi saran,

1. neither you nor your Indian wife need a visa to travel to Jamaica. just tell the immigration guy the reason why you are visiting Jamaica.

2. wait time when i booked the appointment in Kingston was about 30 days but you would only know the next available dates once you create the account and fill out the details.you would need a submitted DS160 to book an appointment.
following is the link to DS160

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

here is the link to jamaican conusulate

https://usvisa-info.com/en-JM/selfse...ountry_welcome.

3. Yes i had booked a return ticket and you would need to give yourself at east 2 days from the day of interview to pick up your passport. you would usually get it back in 2 days if not the next day. I was lucky and the interviewer was a nice bloke and told me to pick up on the same day but it wasn't ready when i went there so ended up collecting it on the following day.

4. as far as hotel goes it depends on the individual. Spanish court hotel was very good and not too far away from consulate.

hope that answers your questions
Hello MSGD,

Thanks for your prompt response. The instructions says passport can be picked up at one of the two DHL locations, Kingston (19 Haining Road) or in Montego Bay (14 Sunset Blvd).

1) Did you pick up your stamped passport from DHL office or from the Consulate itself on the second day? Which DHL office is near to the consulate?

2) What was your port of entry in the US when returning from Jamaica. Was it Miami Intl Airport in Florida?

Thanks...saran
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hello MSGD,

Thanks for your prompt response. The instructions says passport can be picked up at one of the two DHL locations, Kingston (19 Haining Road) or in Montego Bay (14 Sunset Blvd).

1) Did you pick up your stamped passport from DHL office or from the Consulate itself on the second day? Which DHL office is near to the consulate?

2) What was your port of entry in the US when returning from Jamaica. Was it Miami Intl Airport in Florida?

Thanks...saran
no worries and yes i went to the consulate to collect the passport and for DHL office i don't think you would need it but if have to pick one it would be the one in Kingston.

my port of entry was Atlanta and you shouldn't have any problem at the port of entry
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

saran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msgd
Thank you saran for providing detailed info about EAD application process.
one question though, how do I pay the application fee for I-765? and since they made I-94 online we would have to print out and attach it to the application supporting documents. wouldn't we?
My employer said that he included normal CHECK (not a certified or cashier check -- but I personally think certified/cashiers check is good) for the application fee along with I-765. In fact he included THREE different CHECKS since he applied for E3/E3D/EAD together as one bundle.
I did not travel outside since my last visa stamping, but my employer said if you fill your passport/last US entry date online, it will generate an I-94 for you/spouse and you have to include a copy of that and copy of your previous I-94 if you have it along with I-765.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

bm1789 is an unknown quantity at this point

I completed my DS160 for the E3D. Do I now make my own account to apply for it on the payment/appointment booking website? Or must it be done through my spouse's? My spouse is Australian but I am not and I see no option for E3 or E3D if I try through my own citizenship.

Edit: After some research I should clarify that I am a Canadian citizen. I discovered this information in multiple places:

"FIRST, dependents must apply for E-3D visas at a U.S. embassy or consulate. (Canadian passport-holders can skip this step and go to the second step, below.) "

"SECOND, dependents should apply for admission at a U.S. port of entry. E-3D dependents may apply for entry at the same time as or after the E-3 principal, but they may not enter the U.S. before the E-3 employee's intial entry. Each E-3D dependent should bring the following items with him/her to the port of entry:

A copy of the E-3 worker's entry visa or E-3 approval notice
Valid E-3D entry visa in passport (N/A for Canadian passport-holders)"

Source: http://www.hawaii.edu/fsis/e-3/e3d.html

So what are Canadians supposed to do?

Last edited by bm1789; Jun 4th 2014 at 7:43 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:45 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bm1789
So what are Canadians supposed to do?
You show up at the border with your Australian wife! She will have her visa processed first. Then, because you're Canadian and don't need a visa, you will be processed after her at the border. Assuming no issues, your wife will be admitted in E-3 status, and you will be admitted in E-3D status. Bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you.

Ian
Old Jun 5th 2014, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You show up at the border with your Australian wife! She will have her visa processed first. Then, because you're Canadian and don't need a visa, you will be processed after her at the border. Assuming no issues, your wife will be admitted in E-3 status, and you will be admitted in E-3D status. Bring a copy of your marriage certificate with you.

Ian
Wow... we really did this backward then. Wish I had known.

She's already working there. Am I able to cross alone?

And to be clear: I don't need to pay the $380 E3D fee then? Or, if I do, do I just pay at the border?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She's already working there. Am I able to cross alone?
Since she's already in the US, yes... simply show up at the border. You'll need proof of her valid E-3 visa and a copy of your marriage certificate.

And to be clear: I don't need to pay the $380 E3D fee then? Or, if I do, do I just pay at the border?
This I don't know, but perhaps someone else will know. Best to bring sufficient US$ funds with you just in case. Either way, you'll do it all at the border.

Ian
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

E3_Applicant is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I have been recently offered a job in the US and I am going to apply for E3 visa pretty soon.

My visa application was denied once for a Student visa (F1) in 2007 and once for a visitor visa in 2009. (Back then I was not an Australian citizen, and they were rejected due to lack of social tie to return back home). Having said that I am a bit concerned that my history of having visa applications been rejected twice in the past would impact my E3 visa application. Has anyone had similar experience before to share with me please ?

Except this which has made me quite worried, I am confident I will meet the other requirements.

Any comments or ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited by E3_Applicant; Jun 6th 2014 at 5:47 am.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since she's already in the US, yes... simply show up at the border. You'll need proof of her valid E-3 visa and a copy of your marriage certificate.

This I don't know, but perhaps someone else will know. Best to bring sufficient US$ funds with you just in case. Either way, you'll do it all at the border.

Ian
thanks again, Ian. Do you know if the DS-160 was even necessary then?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 11:44 am
Just Joined

marie12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the US on a J-1 currently and need to transition to an E-3 to start a new job, ideally in July. Have it on good authority that Canada is not going to be processing any new Third-Country National visas this summer - any suggestions for where I could apply for a (first time) E-3 without having to go all the way back to Australia?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Do you know if the DS-160 was even necessary then?
It probably wasn't necessary but, as Mr. Folinsky is fond of saying, it's a "no harm, no foul" sort of thing.

Ian
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by marie12
Have it on good authority that Canada is not going to be processing any new Third-Country National visas this summer...
Really? Generally, it's never been an issue! What is your "good authority"?

... any suggestions for where I could apply for a (first time) E-3 without having to go all the way back to Australia?
Any US Consulate is capable of processing your E-3 visa, although whether they will or not is debatable... but there's certainly no harm in asking them!

Ian
Old Jun 6th 2014, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by E3_Applicant
Having said that I am a bit concerned that my history of having visa applications been rejected twice in the past would impact my E3 visa application.
Can it impact your E-3? Yes. Will it? There's really no way to know. You must declare both visa denials on your E-3 application... but my gut feeling is that neither will be a major issue.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.