Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

maulajatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi Ian, Can you please tell what is TPNs?

Also one more thing, If there is no US/Canadian educational/work experience, but the First time E3 is presently in USA on H4, is it good idea to book first time E3 appointment in Canada? any suggestions to save a trip back home?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maulajatt
Can you please tell what is TPNs?
Sorry, TPN = third party national. In this case, someone who is neither normally resident in the country giving the visa (Canada) nor in the destination country (US). You, for example, would normally be resident in Oz.

If there is no US/Canadian educational/work experience, but the First time E3 is presently in USA on H4, is it good idea to book first time E3 appointment in Canada?
Canada will either process it or not - but you'll never know for sure unless you try. All else being equal, there's nothing to lose except the cost of a trip to Canada and some time. That's got to be less expensive than a trip back to Oz.

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

So I received my LCA, now looking forward to E3 visa interview.

Guys, since I am now seriously looking forward to packing up and leaving, I need to know what is the best way to transfer some money into US from Australia. Can I open a bank account from here and put some funds into it?

How about a credit card? How hard would that be?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immaad
I need to know what is the best way to transfer some money into US from Australia.
For good rates on international transfers, there are several options. I recommend xe.com.

Can I open a bank account from here and put some funds into it?
It's very difficult to open a US bank account from outside the US - but I've heard it can be done.

How about a credit card?
If you already have an AmEx card/account... quite easy!

Ian
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

merryfool86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, since I am now seriously looking forward to packing up and leaving, I need to know what is the best way to transfer some money into US from Australia. Can I open a bank account from here and put some funds into it?

If you're still in Aus and you have a bit of time, think about signing up for a 28 Degrees credit card. They have awesome exchange rates with no fees, so you can top up the card with additional cash, then withdraw it at any ATM over in the US for a transaction fee (keep in mind ATM's will still have a $800 withdraw daily limit)

Note: 28 degrees will only do the top-up-then-withdraw without fees until Jan next year, after Jan it'll get pretty expensive with a percentage based fee
Old Oct 24th 2013, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.

I would give xe.com a go, also.

If you have Amex account in Australia, you are set. When you arrive, you just call them here and they will issue you US card.

Ping me if you have any questions. Happy to help. Which city are you going to, btw?

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

sydtom is an unknown quantity at this point

immaad, how long did it take for you to get your LCA? I'm hoping to get an employer to lodge one soon, were you affected by the government shut down? Where are you getting your E3?

Also, once you are in the US it's super easy to open a bank account. You can walk into any Bank of America or Chase bank with your passport and driver's licence (or any other ID that shows an Australian address), and in 15 minutes you have a bank account, a temporary Visa debit card (which acts like a credit card), and some cheques, or "checks". No need for social security or tax numbers. Then you can wire transfer money from your AU account to your US account, send money via Paypal, or any other method.

I've anecdotally heard that Bank of America will give you a proper credit card to foreign nationals, though with a small limit of $800. This should be enough to start a credit history, but always be super careful about late payments etc. Credit checks here are rife.

These are the two banks that I know will allow foreign nationals, others might allow you as well, though those two banks are big here (I'm in NY). Chase has the largest ATM network in NY. Be aware that ATM fees are charged by both the bank and the ATM machine itself, so it could be up to $5 in some cases for withdrawls at ATMs not owned by your bank. There are a few banks around that refund ATM fees, but you'll need a social security number to open it (eg Charles Schwab), unless anyone knows of others? Anyway, the BoA or Chase options are good to get money into the US, get a debit/credit card, and then you can go from there.

Last edited by sydtom; Oct 24th 2013 at 9:22 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you already have an AmEx card/account... quite easy!
What is the procedure?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sydtom
immaad, how long did it take for you to get your LCA? I'm hoping to get an employer to lodge one soon, were you affected by the government shut down? Where are you getting your E3?

Also, once you are in the US it's super easy to open a bank account. You can walk into any Bank of America or Chase bank with your passport and driver's licence (or any other ID that shows an Australian address), and in 15 minutes you have a bank account, a temporary Visa debit card (which acts like a credit card), and some cheques, or "checks". No need for social security or tax numbers. Then you can wire transfer money from your AU account to your US account, send money via Paypal, or any other method.

I've anecdotally heard that Bank of America will give you a proper credit card to foreign nationals, though with a small limit of $800. This should be enough to start a credit history, but always be super careful about late payments etc. Credit checks here are rife.

These are the two banks that I know will allow foreign nationals, others might allow you as well, though those two banks are big here (I'm in NY). Chase has the largest ATM network in NY. Be aware that ATM fees are charged by both the bank and the ATM machine itself, so it could be up to $5 in some cases for withdrawls at ATMs not owned by your bank. There are a few banks around that refund ATM fees, but you'll need a social security number to open it (eg Charles Schwab), unless anyone knows of others? Anyway, the BoA or Chase options are good to get money into the US, get a debit/credit card, and then you can go from there.
Thanks guys,

I am going to Chicago. My LCA was delayed for 16 days because of Govt shutdown.

Seems like opening a bank account is actually not as difficult as it sounds. But will see. I have an Amex card in Australia so would try to convert that in the US. The 28degrees credit card also seems like a good option provided they give a good exchange rate.

I am looking forward to rent a 1 bed apartment in Chicago, any pointers on that? How difficult would that be without a credit history? And I have a unit here in Sydney which I will be renting out so need opinions about managing property from overseas as well and tax and stuff. I am thinking too much hahaha...
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

What is the procedure?
How long have you had Aussie Amex for?

Call the U.S. Global Card Transfer team at 877-621-2639. You will need your U.S. home address, U.S. home phone number, U.S. bank details, passport details, employment details, and Social Security Number or ITIN available along with the Aussie credit card number/info.

If you have a good Aussie history, they will convert you to Amex USA. Huge leg up if you ask me from personal experience.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by E3only
How long have you had Aussie Amex for?

Call the U.S. Global Card Transfer team at 877-621-2639. You will need your U.S. home address, U.S. home phone number, U.S. bank details, passport details, employment details, and Social Security Number or ITIN available along with the Aussie credit card number/info.

If you have a good Aussie history, they will convert you to Amex USA. Huge leg up if you ask me from personal experience.
I have that for over a year... not used at all though. It was given to me as part of a deal as a package with another Visa Card. I am using just the visa card.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I have that for over a year... not used at all though. It was given to me as part of a deal as a package with another Visa Card. I am using just the visa card.
OK, worth calling them.

Other banks do secured credit cards also
Old Oct 25th 2013, 12:08 am
Just Joined

merryfool86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting a credit card in the USA can be a huge pain in the a**e since they need credit history to approve you a credit card, and you need a credit card to get a credit card...nice little catch 22 ay? Alternatively you can pay bills to build it up, but I found myself here with shared accommodation and no bills to pay

When you get here, and you find yourself needing a credit card, capitalone360 will provide foreign nationals with a credit card ($2000 limit), even those with no credit history, which will help a lot with building credit

As for finding a place to live, if you don't have US history, be prepared to have cash or cash checks (think MoneyGram) for the deposit + first month rent + last month rent. I'm not sure what the rental market is like in Chicago, but if it's anything like NY or SF, you'll need to be fast
Old Oct 25th 2013, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

sydtom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to Chicago. My LCA was delayed for 16 days because of Govt shutdown.
Thanks immaad. Was that 16 working days?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sydtom
Thanks immaad. Was that 16 working days?
No, calendar days I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.