Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:46 pm   #61
Yamoo 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Yamoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegrad View Post
Hi Yamoo,

I'm going through this process for the 4th time now and Australia is probably the easiest to get it done. My first two E-3s were processed in Frankfurt and my last one was done in Sydney.

I've read a couple of your posts and my current situation is somewhat similar. I went through 3 interviews with my soon to be new employer and was offered the position on January 26th.

Since then it's been slow moving and my case has been tossed around from one person to the next in their HR Dept before I got an email from them on Feb 2nd they were seeking legal advice from their attorney about the whole "specialty occupation" definition. Anyway, the following day they emailed me saying they would completing the process and prepare to file for the LCA on the 4th and then forward me the certified copy and the job offer letter once it was all done.

Well, since then I haven't heard back from them and it's been over a week now since their presumed date they submitted the LCA. I know it takes about 7 business days for it to be turned around so hopefully I'll hear from them by mid week.

I personally haven't signed up for an appointment time yet as I don't want to leave for Australia until I have the LCA physically in my hand. I am also still working for my current employer until this happens so I don't fall between the crack of quitting my existing job and not having my new one all sorted.

I'd be interested to hear how your situation is going. All the best for both of us!
Hi,

I heard from my prospective employer yesterday and they asked me to come in with my transcripts and passport. Their legal team said that they require it. I'm going in today to hand all that over and find out more about where they are at. I'm sure they haven't filed for the LCA yet but hopefully that's the next step.

I've already booked to fly to Sydney early next week so there's no way I'll have the LCA in my hand when I go. I'm going to ask them to send it to me in Australia or I'll have my boyfriend here in NY pick it up and send it to me.

I was under the impression that I couldn't get an appointment with the Sydney visa office until I had a completed LCA so I haven't tried to make an appointment yet.

All the best to you too!
Yamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:30 pm   #62
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
aussiegrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

It's amazing how laboriously slow these companies work through this process. My last E-3 Visa I did everything completely by myself. I even walked the HR person through the LCA application process. I dont know about you but after knowing how simple the process really is, its frustrating that it gets stalled by legal teams and attorneys who probably know far less than someone who has actually gone through the process multiple times.

Sorry, that was my vent for the day. Still haven't heard anything back from my prospective employer. No idea if they were even able to submit the LCA or not.

Anyway, if you go to the Visapoint website, you are able to schedule an appointment time even without the LCA (Form 9035) in your hand. There's just a question on there asking if you have it, if you answer no, it wont let you see their calendar or schedule, if you answer yes, then it will let you view what days are available to schedule. Your registration PIN is good for 3 months, so after you register, you dont necessarily have to schedule an appointment right away, but at least it will give you an idea of what days are available and how far out they are.

Keep us updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamoo View Post
Hi,

I heard from my prospective employer yesterday and they asked me to come in with my transcripts and passport. Their legal team said that they require it. I'm going in today to hand all that over and find out more about where they are at. I'm sure they haven't filed for the LCA yet but hopefully that's the next step.

I've already booked to fly to Sydney early next week so there's no way I'll have the LCA in my hand when I go. I'm going to ask them to send it to me in Australia or I'll have my boyfriend here in NY pick it up and send it to me.

I was under the impression that I couldn't get an appointment with the Sydney visa office until I had a completed LCA so I haven't tried to make an appointment yet.

All the best to you too!
aussiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:59 pm   #63
Yamoo 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Yamoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegrad View Post
It's amazing how laboriously slow these companies work through this process. My last E-3 Visa I did everything completely by myself. I even walked the HR person through the LCA application process. I dont know about you but after knowing how simple the process really is, its frustrating that it gets stalled by legal teams and attorneys who probably know far less than someone who has actually gone through the process multiple times.

Sorry, that was my vent for the day. Still haven't heard anything back from my prospective employer. No idea if they were even able to submit the LCA or not.

Anyway, if you go to the Visapoint website, you are able to schedule an appointment time even without the LCA (Form 9035) in your hand. There's just a question on there asking if you have it, if you answer no, it wont let you see their calendar or schedule, if you answer yes, then it will let you view what days are available to schedule. Your registration PIN is good for 3 months, so after you register, you dont necessarily have to schedule an appointment right away, but at least it will give you an idea of what days are available and how far out they are.

Keep us updated!
Oh I totally understand your vent. I hope they submitted your LCA. It's been months since my process started so I've had my share of venting.

I met with my prospective employers and handed over my documents. They seemed positive about the process and were even hoping that they would have a completed LCA to give me before I left for Australia.

Thank you for your tip about the VisaPoint website. I had been holding off trying to see availability as I obviously didn't want to commit to an interview date yet but it was great to be able to check it out without needing to book. Thankfully there are dates in early March still available.

Here's a question that makes me sound a bit naive: at what point of the process do they let you know the complete package - health insurance/401k etc? I already know the salary of this position but as the approval process has been so drawn out I haven't had a 'talk' about the terms of the contract yet because they are busy figuring out if they can do the visa paperwork. I'm not imagining I'll turn the job down, not at all, but I feel that I should know this stuff! However is this something that I would find out once I get the formal job offer - the written one I take to the interview?

Speaking of that, I know at the interview the LCA needs to be the original form, however it is ok if the job offer is a scanned and printed document?

Thanks!
Yamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:12 pm   #64
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
aussiegrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamoo View Post
Oh I totally understand your vent. I hope they submitted your LCA. It's been months since my process started so I've had my share of venting.

I met with my prospective employers and handed over my documents. They seemed positive about the process and were even hoping that they would have a completed LCA to give me before I left for Australia.

Thank you for your tip about the VisaPoint website. I had been holding off trying to see availability as I obviously didn't want to commit to an interview date yet but it was great to be able to check it out without needing to book. Thankfully there are dates in early March still available.

Here's a question that makes me sound a bit naive: at what point of the process do they let you know the complete package - health insurance/401k etc? I already know the salary of this position but as the approval process has been so drawn out I haven't had a 'talk' about the terms of the contract yet because they are busy figuring out if they can do the visa paperwork. I'm not imagining I'll turn the job down, not at all, but I feel that I should know this stuff! However is this something that I would find out once I get the formal job offer - the written one I take to the interview?

Speaking of that, I know at the interview the LCA needs to be the original form, however it is ok if the job offer is a scanned and printed document?

Thanks!
It is my understanding that you take the original copy of every document you can. I have always taken the original signed copy of the LCA and the original signed copy of the job offer as well. It just looks better and it's one less thing the Consular official can pick at, if they are really picky as it is.

As for the complete compensation package, they should have mentioned the "benefits" to you during your interview process. So when they told you what the salary was, you could have asked them what other benefits does the job include, such as health insurance, 401k, paid vacation days, sick days, and so on. You could still email them and ask them about it.

What you will find though, is that the majority of US employers don't offer nearly as many perks and benefits as Australian companies would do. The biggest one that comes to mind is the 4 weeks annual leave in Australia. Typically US companies only offer about 2 weeks off a year.

Hope that clarifies some things. I still haven't heard anything back on my end and unfortunately I cant actually just go in there in person as they are in another state.
aussiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st 2011, 11:40 pm   #65
nani 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 87
nani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Has anyone renewed their E3 for the 3rd or 4th time within the US i.e. USCIS? Have you had any problems getting the renewal and how much time did USCIS take to adjudicate your application? Thanks.

Is there anyone who has lost a job, filed for a B visa (or other type) within the 10 day period (that you have to leave the country) to keep you 'in legal status', got a new job within few weeks (after filing B visa) and a new E3, then went overseas for a visit and got the visa stamped while returning to US despite all that happened?
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 1:42 am   #66
E3only Male
BE Forum Addict
 
E3only's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: East Bay Area
Posts: 2,184
E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
Has anyone renewed their E3 for the 3rd or 4th time within the US i.e. USCIS? Have you had any problems getting the renewal and how much time did USCIS take to adjudicate your application? Thanks.

Is there anyone who has lost a job, filed for a B visa (or other type) within the 10 day period (that you have to leave the country) to keep you 'in legal status', got a new job within few weeks (after filing B visa) and a new E3, then went overseas for a visit and got the visa stamped while returning to US despite all that happened?
Why would you file a B visa when you can get a VWP?
__________________
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. - Mohandas Gandhi
E3only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 2:06 am   #67
Busy at Work
 
lifehouse51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 888
lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3only View Post
Why would you file a B visa when you can get a VWP?
I think he/she meant that when one's still within the U.S. and will be out of E-3 status, then I think you can only change status to B status instead of VWP.

Nani, I think what you propose is theoretically fine, but remember that change of status from E-3 to B status is something that takes time, so you may not be able to complete the change in time before you go out of status. I vaguely remember that for some status change, as long as you FILE the request to change status without 10 days, you'll be fine, I'm not sure if E-3 -> B is one of them.
__________________
Former F-1 Student, currently on E-3 Working Visa
Go Bulldogs!
lifehouse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:08 pm   #68
E3only Male
BE Forum Addict
 
E3only's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: East Bay Area
Posts: 2,184
E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifehouse51 View Post
I think he/she meant that when one's still within the U.S. and will be out of E-3 status, then I think you can only change status to B status instead of VWP.

Nani, I think what you propose is theoretically fine, but remember that change of status from E-3 to B status is something that takes time, so you may not be able to complete the change in time before you go out of status. I vaguely remember that for some status change, as long as you FILE the request to change status without 10 days, you'll be fine, I'm not sure if E-3 -> B is one of them.
My point is, they are eligible for VWP so a grant of B visa will be challenging......
__________________
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. - Mohandas Gandhi
E3only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm   #69
Busy at Work
 
lifehouse51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 888
lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by E3only View Post
My point is, they are eligible for VWP so a grant of B visa will be challenging......
I believe change to B status is not treated the same way as getting a B visa. Plus you cannot change status within the US to VWP
__________________
Former F-1 Student, currently on E-3 Working Visa
Go Bulldogs!
lifehouse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:09 pm   #70
Premium Member
 
meauxna's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 35,089
meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifehouse51 View Post
I believe change to B status is not treated the same way as getting a B visa. Plus you cannot change status within the US to VWP
+1. The Change of Status is to B visitor.
__________________
It's because of the cloudy.
meauxna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:04 pm   #71
nani 
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 87
nani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

The change is within US if you lose a job on E3. It is practically impossible for many to sell your car, etc in just 10 days especially in this economy and leave the US within 10 days.

So in order to keep you in status while you sort out selling the car etc you can file for change of status which gives you some more time until the COS is adjudicated. You can leave the US in the meantime or if you find a new job you can apply for E3 again going to Canada, etc It is possible to file for change of status to B visitor even though you have VWP.

Anyway I want to know if anyone was in this situation and got E3 again when you applied in Aus or Canada? Thanks.
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th 2011, 8:02 pm   #72
Yamoo 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Yamoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegrad View Post
It is my understanding that you take the original copy of every document you can. I have always taken the original signed copy of the LCA and the original signed copy of the job offer as well. It just looks better and it's one less thing the Consular official can pick at, if they are really picky as it is.

As for the complete compensation package, they should have mentioned the "benefits" to you during your interview process. So when they told you what the salary was, you could have asked them what other benefits does the job include, such as health insurance, 401k, paid vacation days, sick days, and so on. You could still email them and ask them about it.

What you will find though, is that the majority of US employers don't offer nearly as many perks and benefits as Australian companies would do. The biggest one that comes to mind is the 4 weeks annual leave in Australia. Typically US companies only offer about 2 weeks off a year.

Hope that clarifies some things. I still haven't heard anything back on my end and unfortunately I cant actually just go in there in person as they are in another state.
Hi,

Thank you for this clarification. I'm in Australia now and have just received my completed LCA through email - they are mailing the originals to me now. I've made a visa appointment for next week - thanks for your earlier advice about Visapoint, it has been good to keep track of what appointments are available.

I'll let you know how the interview goes! Hope your situation is getting resolved.
Yamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:31 pm   #73
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 13
sban009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hello All,

It’s really nice everybody sharing their experiences on E3 and renewals.
My Current E3 visa is also expiring soon, I have applied to attend the interview in Toronto, Canada on March 7 2011 for my second E3 Renewal. I have book the hotel for 4 days, based on the information provided while applying for VISA (on the safer side)
I have the following ready
1) New LCA for another 2 years, ready signed by my employer
2) My Employer extension letters,
3) Have my Vendor letter, but unfortunately, I am not able to get my Client letter, since they stop providing the employment letter, assuming should be fine.
4) Have my payslips, my bank statements, my educational documents.

Please let me know if I am missing anything with respect to documentation.

Will definitely get back and update the status once I attend the Visa interview on Match 7th 2011.
sban009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:41 am   #74
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
alliesv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi guys,

I have few questions as 1st time E-3 visa applicant...

1) Is Accounting Clerk an "Specialty Occupation"???
2) My wife is US Green Card holder will that affect my E-3 visa??
3) What kind of proof I have to show for "I'll return back to Australia once my job ends in the US"???

I have Indian Bachelor and Australian Master in Accounting. Wanting to apply for E-3 visa thru Sydney Consulate. Please if somebody can help me...

Thanks...
alliesv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:57 pm   #75
Closed Account
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,867
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliesv View Post
1) Is Accounting Clerk an "Specialty Occupation"?
No, unless "accounting clerk" is the same as "accountant"... and even then I'm not too sure!


Quote:
2) My wife is US Green Card holder will that affect my E-3 visa?
No... but I hope she's also sponsored you for an immigrant visa!


Quote:
3) What kind of proof I have to show for "I'll return back to Australia once my job ends in the US"?
You don't need to prove you'll return to Oz... you need to prove only that you'll leave the US - which may be difficult if your wife has a GC and is a US permanent resident.

Ian
ian-mstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com