Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Jul 19th 2014, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
So, you've got a new job in the US and you're leaving your current employer... do I have that right? Why should you care if you give 4 weeks notice? You're leaving the country! What are they going to do... fire you?
Because New Zealand isn't an "at will" country.

I don't know how NZ works, but in Australia the notice period is stated in the employment contract and/or award. If you work less than the notice period, then the employer can legally withhold monies from your final payment to make up for the time you didn't work (in addition to not paying you for working that time).

Add to that, NZ is a relatively small place. If he ever intends to return there (or even if he's just looking for a reference for a new job somewhere else), having failed to give notice will likely count against him in trying to find a new job.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone recently took an E3 interview in Sydney? How long does it take to get your passports back?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auckmarty
Additional question. Do I need to bring an actual photo to the interview? The DS-160 has you upload a digital photo and its not... 100% clear if I also need to bring an actual photo. Apparently some consulates require it, some do not, sometimes depending on visa class
One in Toronto they said the electronic pic didn't come through, and the machine in the consulate was on the fritz, so I had to leave the consulate and wander Toronto streets in winter looking for the photo place where they shafted me about $30 for 2 photos. The moral of the story is: take a bloody photo, just in case.

1. Do I need to attend a new visa to change my employer ( Changing from ABC to XYZ) - I have long way to go before my visa expires or can apply via USCIS and if yes, how long does it take and if i am allowed to work with new employer before the approval notice.
You can do either. However if you need to leave the US during the remainder of your E3 time you will have to go to a consulate somewhere and get a new E3 sticker so you can re-enter the US. I don't know the current timeframe although I know it's much easier and faster to just get a new E3.

2. Do I need to attend for a new visa if I change my work location with same employer but different client (from NY to California)
Read the visa instructions. They state that if your actual job changes significantly you must get a new visa. ie. the pay rate, the job functions approved in the LCA etc. I don't think the office location would matter (but that's just an opinion).
Old Jul 24th 2014, 7:43 am
Just Joined

call is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a weird experience the other week at the Sydney Consulate in regards to my E3.

My company filled in an LCA and put me as a Video Editor using the SOC (ONET/OES) code 27-4032, but at the interview, I was rejected. I was so shocked and didn't get great clarification from the officer, but he mentioned that the job code wasn't acceptable, or wasn't a 'code 7 or above'. Why would the LCA be approved then? He couldn't give me advice, but suggested I go back to my employer and better classify my position.

I'm really shocked and now I think maybe I need to hire a lawyer. Does anybody have any experience dealing with this kind of rejection? Extremely unpleasant experience.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by call
My company filled in an LCA and put me as a Video Editor using the SOC (ONET/OES) code 27-4032, but at the interview, I was rejected. I was so shocked and didn't get great clarification from the officer, but he mentioned that the job code wasn't acceptable, or wasn't a 'code 7 or above'. Why would the LCA be approved then? He couldn't give me advice, but suggested I go back to my employer and better classify my position.
The LCA relates to the salary that is being paid, not to whether the position in question is suitable for an E-3 visa.

Looking at 27-4032.00 - Film and Video Editors, this position is described as having education of "Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.", which most likely doesn't qualify under the requirements as a "specialty occupation" as required for an E-3.

His referenced to "better classify" the position means applying for an LCA in a category that does qualify as a "specialty occupation" - and then confirming (via the LCA) that you are being paid suitable for that position in that category.

And yes, getting the company to get a lawyer involved might be a good idea at this stage...
Old Jul 25th 2014, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Joey_A is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi friends, Just want to let you all know that The Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, is currently experiencing technical problems with the U.S. non-immigrant visa system.

This issue is worldwide and applies to all countries, nationalities, and visa categories.

If you had your visa interview between July 21st and July 24th and your visa was approved, your visa and passport return will likely be delayed by several days.

Please follow travelgov Facebook page at (www.facebook.com/travelgov) for the updates if you already have interview and waiting for your passport or if you are planning for E3 renewal in near future.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:55 am
Just Joined

call is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by docnetau
The LCA relates to the salary that is being paid, not to whether the position in question is suitable for an E-3 visa.

Looking at 27-4032.00 - Film and Video Editors, this position is described as having education of "Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.", which most likely doesn't qualify under the requirements as a "specialty occupation" as required for an E-3.

His referenced to "better classify" the position means applying for an LCA in a category that does qualify as a "specialty occupation" - and then confirming (via the LCA) that you are being paid suitable for that position in that category.

And yes, getting the company to get a lawyer involved might be a good idea at this stage...
Really appreciate your clarification! The frustrating thing now is that I can see a more appropriate 'specialty' job code that would probably not be an issue at all, and if anything, is more appropriate for my title!

The official was really cool about it, he obviously didn't want to deny me and told me to just reclassify it with the company, and I should be fine. I could just get them to redo the LCA but yah, I'm a little concerned I'll get a grilling at the second interview and they'll want to know more details.

Ugh. What a pain in the ass. Strangely I know people who have used the same job code and been fine, both with E3 and H1B. I've had a few recommendations regarding lawyers for my E3 and they range around $3000. Ouch!
Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Hello all - would appreciate any thoughts on my situation..

I'm currently in the US on an H1B and am in the process of looking for a new job. Said job would be on an E3 visa simply due to its ease of access and no wait times for starting etc.

I've read throughout this thread that there may be difficulties with obtaining a new E3 from Canada as opposed to renewing for those coming from the US on the VWP. I wonder though if the same applies for my situation where I would be coming from the US on an H1B? Albeit, it would technically be out of status at that time as I would resign before leaving to go up and apply for the new E3. As an aside, I was, many years ago, on an E3 too that my current employer changed over to H1B some years back.

I noted the following from the Ottawa consulate: "E-3 visa applicants may apply via the normal process at the US Embassy or any Consulate across Canada" but would love to hear some thoughts here.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I have always got my renewals in Toronto. I think part of the issue now is waiting time for an interview. I haven't actually seen an firsthand experiences written here about someone turning up and being denied an E3 application.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by augigi
I have always got my renewals in Toronto. I think part of the issue now is waiting time for an interview. I haven't actually seen an firsthand experiences written here about someone turning up and being denied an E3 application.
Cheers augigi. I guess the concern is I would be really getting a new E3 (changing from H1B) rather than a simple renewal and have heard that in that particular circumstance you should go back to Australia. Some consulates even specifically say so e.g. Mexico City but none of them in Canada explicitly say you can't.. would just hate to run into any problems up there
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

meelou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pinkhandbag
Hi all,

I asked two E-3 questions here but for whatever reason they didn't seem to attract any replies - perhaps because I didn't do the greatest job in writing them. So I'm giving it another shot here, apologies for the double post. I would really appreciate any input anyone may have.

1. I'd like to secure a new E-3 with a new employer before I resign from my current E-3 employer. The problem I see is that I need to give my current employer four weeks notice. Is it possible for my new E-3 to have a start date four weeks in the future and my current E-3 to remain valid until then? Does changing employers via I-129 have any advantage in this regard, versus getting a new visa from a consulate?

2. I have a dependent on E-3D with an EAD that expires in late 2013. If they are to get a fresh E-3D at a US consulate today, can they return to the US and immediately continue working on their current EAD? Some posts I've found on the net suggest this is OK; that the EAD is valid so long as the holder is in E-3D status of some kind and their EAD has not expired. I'm struggling to find anything official though. I want to make sure they don't have to quit their job if I change employers by getting a new visa from a consulate instead of I-129.

I've been searching the web and USCIS with little success so far. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone may have!

Thanks in advance
phb
Does anyone have any answers to part 2 of this question? I'm looking for a similar solution...
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by malj
Cheers augigi. I guess the concern is I would be really getting a new E3 (changing from H1B) rather than a simple renewal and have heard that in that particular circumstance you should go back to Australia. Some consulates even specifically say so e.g. Mexico City but none of them in Canada explicitly say you can't.. would just hate to run into any problems up there
I went to Sydney for a new E3 last week. They asked for my resume which I didnt have handy. BAM! Got a 221(g).
Old Aug 1st 2014, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

kitty_katty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

This is a fantastic thread - I have looked through a bit, but apologies if this has already come up (with hundreds and hundreds of posts I haven't looked totally in depth).

I have been on an E3 for nearly two years and I'm tossing up whether I want to leave, stay in my current role, or get another

A couple of questions:
1. I know this is has been brought up before but my visa has an end date of 08/27 and the I-94 09/04. It seems you all agree that I should use the LCA date...problem is I don't what the expiry on the LCA is ...I don't think I have a copy. Would that be the date on the E3 visa in my passport?
2. I know I can get a new LCA for a new employer, however, as my E3 visa is soon to expire, I take it I should just get a new visa - correct?
3. I'm currently interviewing with another organisation and should I get an offer and decide to get a new visa, can they lodge the 9035 form whilst I am still working out my notice period at my current employer? Or do I have to stop working before they do that? How long can I keep working for my current employer?

I see that you've mentioned Canadian appt times are horrific at the moment-any one been to London recently?

thanks so much!
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kitty_katty
1. I know this is has been brought up before but my visa has an end date of 08/27 and the I-94 09/04. It seems you all agree that I should use the LCA date...problem is I don't what the expiry on the LCA is ...I don't think I have a copy. Would that be the date on the E3 visa in my passport?
2. I know I can get a new LCA for a new employer, however, as my E3 visa is soon to expire, I take it I should just get a new visa - correct?
3. I'm currently interviewing with another organisation and should I get an offer and decide to get a new visa, can they lodge the 9035 form whilst I am still working out my notice period at my current employer? Or do I have to stop working before they do that? How long can I keep working for my current employer?
1. Your Visa should include the LCA expiry data under the annotation field. It's probably the same date as your visa expiry date.

2. Not sure what you're asking. If you want to get a new E3 (new employer) or an E3R (renewal, same employer), then you need a new LCA.

3. The LCA is not in any way tied to you until you apply for your visa, so yes, they can apply for it whilst you're still working for your current employer. You can even apply for your new visa whilst still working for your current employer - as long as you still have a valid LCA.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello, I have a situation here and thought discuss with people here on BE. I applied for a new E3 last week in Sydney and got a 221(g). That application is still in process. Can I travel on my existing E3 and stay in US until my application in in AP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.