Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any useful info for studying to be a nurse in UK to then work in US?

Any useful info for studying to be a nurse in UK to then work in US?

Old Mar 9th 2020, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Klp100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any useful info for studying to be a nurse in UK to then work in US?

Hello,
I am new to this forum so please feel free to point me in the right direction for better advice.

My husband and I want to live and work in the US and have thought that perhaps one of us studying to be a nurse in the UK and then getting some form of work visa would be the most beneficial route for us.

If anyone has any helpful advice or info I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any useful info for studying to be a nurse in UK to then work in US?

Originally Posted by Klp100
Hello,
I am new to this forum so please feel free to point me in the right direction for better advice.

My husband and I want to live and work in the US and have thought that perhaps one of us studying to be a nurse in the UK and then getting some form of work visa would be the most beneficial route for us.

If anyone has any helpful advice or info I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi, welcome to BE.

Becoming a nurse isn't very likely to lead to an employment based visa I'm afraid. It can happen, but is pretty rare (used to be it never happened, but we've seen a couple of people manage it in the past couple of years). Definitely study to be a nurse if that's what you really want to do, but I wouldn't do that solely as a way of getting to the US personally.

What do you both do now? I'd say the most feasible route would be to work yourself up in to a senior managerial or executive role in a multi-national company and then ask for a transfer, much more likely than being sponsored by a new employer, most of whom aren't prepared to pay a small fortune and wait months when they can just hire a US citizen immediately. But if you can give people more info on what you currently do and what qualifications you have, they may be able to suggest another route.

Have a read of this for info on all of the various routes, which will hopefully give you a way forward - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

Best of luck.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 1:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any useful info for studying to be a nurse in UK to then work in US?

Training as a nurse, is unlikely to get you to the US, it is possible, but not very likely.

Generally speaking, investing several years of your like in an educational program with the primary objective of immigration to another country, and a country which is notoriously difficult to immigrate to, is likely to lead you to a job you don't much enjoy and, in all honesty is not likely to succeed in getting you to the US either.

There are numerous routes to the US, and as Christmasoopa said, the most likely is through transfer by your employer, so the best advice might be to excel in what you do and seek out companies with operations in the US and with a record of transferring employees.

All that said, please would you share what has drawn you to focus on trying to immigrate to the US, because life actually living here, as I have done for 18 years, might not actually be the bed of rose that you're expecting.
Old Mar 9th 2020, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Also UK training doesn’t always meet US training as UK is specialized and US is general. Plus nurses are not as in demand as they used to be several years ago. You really should only be going into nursing or any profession as something you want to do
Old Mar 9th 2020, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know someone who came to the US on a H1b through nursing, seems unusual but certainly some positions require a degree. More common is EB3 and that seems more the province of agencies filling in shortages, you have to commit to a certain period of time, they get you an Immigrant Visa, Takes time but has benefits, I assume they are not offering top wages or placing people in attractive areas.