DV Lottery

Old May 1st 2013, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ricky_85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DV Lottery

Hi there,
for the second time in a row, I'm so lucky to not have been selected for the DV lottery

A simple question:
I use a website which helps me in filling in the proper application with photo etc.

I'm wondering if this website is a scam, like many on the internet, and the proof that this website is not a fake is that in the Dept of State website I enter all my data (included the long confirmation number) and then it says 'has not been selected'. Otherwise, if the website had given me fake credentials, I wouldn't be able to read all that.

Am I right?
Old May 1st 2013, 4:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DV Lottery

Since the chances are winning the DV lottery are miniscule, I would not assume that 2 unsuccessful applications mean the site is a scam. That said, you could most probably fo it yourself without the aid if any other company.

Clearly being able to view the results using a confirmation number confirms that the application was indeed made.
Old May 1st 2013, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes.

But as I said, if every data I enter in the Dept of State Dv lottery website is correct, and it says 'Has not been selected' etc, it means the website I used gave me right confirmation numbers and it's not a scam. I should think so, right?

I'm feeling depressed...
Old May 1st 2013, 4:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ricky_85
Yes.

But as I said, if every data I enter in the Dept of State Dv lottery website is correct, and it says 'Has not been selected' etc, it means the website I used gave me right confirmation numbers and it's not a scam. I should think so, right?

I'm feeling depressed...
Probably. To be on the safe side, in the future, don't use a 3rd party website (especially if this website is having you pay a fee). Just go directly to the Dept of State DV lottery website to fill in your application. It's free to enter.

Rene
Old May 1st 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

I know, but the website helps you in matters like the picture size etc and in case you lose the registration numbers.
Old May 1st 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Since the chances are winning the DV lottery are miniscule, I would not assume that 2 unsuccessful applications mean the site is a scam.
Chances of being selected are between 0.5 to 1%. About 50% of those selected actually end up qualifying for a visa, but of course this varies a lot from country to country.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but the website helps you in matters like the picture size etc and in case you lose the registration numbers.
I'm not sure why you continue to defend a web site that has likely scammed you!

Ian
Old May 1st 2013, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Conchur is an unknown quantity at this point

Although it's all water under the bridge now, you should probably be aware that US DV Lottery website also provides you with these tools free of charge. You can even call up your confirmation number if you've lost it using a few personal details (such as your email address, date of birth and full name).

Hope your entry into the lottery was successful!

--Conchúr
Old May 1st 2013, 9:49 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually I think sometimes even if you enter random info on the status check, it'll still show up as "HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED", at least that was the case when I tried a few years ago.
Old May 2nd 2013, 2:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

DV is due to be chopped as part of CIR.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Bearnut is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as you use the official travel.state.gov site then it will be correct.

Yes it's lottery, don't worry ... This is our 14th year of trying! Of course people do get lucky I know a few.

Good luck for next year.....got to be in it to win it.....as they say.

Hi there,
for the second time in a row, I'm so lucky to not have been selected for the DV lottery

A simple question:
I use a website which helps me in filling in the proper application with photo etc.

I'm wondering if this website is a scam, like many on the internet, and the proof that this website is not a fake is that in the Dept of State website I enter all my data (included the long confirmation number) and then it says 'has not been selected'. Otherwise, if the website had given me fake credentials, I wouldn't be able to read all that.

Am I right?
Old May 4th 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'm not sure why you continue to defend a web site that has likely scammed you!

Ian
I had twice a troublesome issue since they kept calling me wanting more money, they said I had more chances to win the DV lottery. It was a pain in the ass.

Having said that, my doubt persisted when I started this thread, but I read some positive answers and I tried to even change a letter in the code in the DV lottery State Dept. website. I couldn't log in.
That means this website I pay has done its job, yet their mkt policies are bothersome.

PS. My uncle won a green card and has always paid his due to a website.