Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizenship and Applying for a Green Card

Dual Citizenship and Applying for a Green Card

Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Andrew N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship and Applying for a Green Card

I am currently a Dual Australian/British Citizen, and am live and work in the USA on an E-3 visa in my Australian passport. I recently married a US citizen, and beginning to apply for a green card.

Two questions:
1) Do I put both nationalities down on the forms, or should I just use Australia (the passport I use for the US)?
2) I do plan to get full US citizenship at some point. Is it possible to have tri-citizenship? (UK/Australia/USA?) I do not want to have to renounce anything!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:56 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship and Applying for a Green Card

Originally Posted by Andrew N
I am currently a Dual Australian/British Citizen, and am live and work in the USA on an E-3 visa in my Australian passport. I recently married a US citizen, and beginning to apply for a green card.

Two questions:
1) Do I put both nationalities down on the forms, or should I just use Australia (the passport I use for the US)?
2) I do plan to get full US citizenship at some point. Is it possible to have tri-citizenship? (UK/Australia/USA?) I do not want to have to renounce anything!

Yeah I am pretty sure there is a tri-citizen that posts on here.

As to your other question that poster could probably help you the most.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Two questions:

I'm in similar shoes. I put both nationalities down on my GC app forms. Yes, for us Oz & UK citizens, we can acquire US as a third nationality.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied, I put down that I was Canadian, even though I was also a UKC. This strikes me as a no-harm/no-foul sort of thing... you can enter one or the other, or both.

Is it possible to have tri-citizenship?
Yes. I am a tri-citizen (in order: UK/CDN/US).

I do not want to have to renounce anything!
You will renounce only your allegiance, not your citizenship. That said, the US Oath of Allegiance is not binding on either the UK or Australia (or Canada for that matter). In other words, only Elizabeth R gets to decide who is or isn't a citizen of a commonwealth country.

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:59 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

They know you as an Australian so stay Australian. They don't care about dual citizenship. Just pick one and keep it.
Old Oct 10th 2009, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

Andrew N is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great to know - thanks for all the great tips. I will just put Australian down but of course have all my passports and documentation with me if needed for an interview.

Thank you!