Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

does a thin bank balance matter for L1 visa

does a thin bank balance matter for L1 visa

Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

partymac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default does a thin bank balance matter for L1 visa

Hi,

First post

I work for a US company in the UK and my role requires me and family to move to the USA. My company will be managing a L1A (blanket) application on my behalf. I understand that they will need 6 months bank statements as part of the application; my concern is my bank balance is pretty lean this year (I purchased a property earlier this year). Is the bank balance a consideration in approving or rejecting an application?

Many thanks for any help/guidance!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 2:16 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does a thin bank balance matter for L1 visa

Do they ask for bank statements? I don't remember however, I can tell you that as a family of 5 living on one income we weren't exactly rolling in it so I can only surmise that it doesn't matter....
maybe someone wil come along who knows more.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the process of getting our L1b/L2 visa and the attorneys have not mentioned needing our bank statements.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Tillymin is an unknown quantity at this point

Our L1A individual petition was (finally!) submitted this week. We didn't need to include bank statements.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

partymac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Good luck to all those applying.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

we moved to the US (on L1b) with around $10K in total to our name.

We were not once asked to provide proof or our finances
Old Sep 11th 2017, 12:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

While you are not required to prove your finances for an L-1A/B, don't under estimate the need for funds when you arrive in the US.

What you face will vary considerably from place to place across the US, but you could face up to $2,000 in deposits for utilities, and a minimum of $3k deposit and up-front rent to rent a home, $5k-$6k is probably typical for larger cities, and in the case of NYC or SF that could rise to $10k.

Then you'll need at least one vehicle, so that could easily be another $2k-$4k for a down payment.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
While you are not required to prove your finances for an L-1A/B, don't under estimate the need for funds when you arrive in the US.

What you face will vary considerably from place to place across the US, but you could face up to $2,000 in deposits for utilities, and a minimum of $3k deposit and up-front rent to rent a home, $5k-$6k is probably typical for larger cities, and in the case of NYC or SF that could rise to $10k.

Then you'll need at least one vehicle, so that could easily be another $2k-$4k for a down payment.

Most (note...not all) relocations on L1 take care of a lot of that though. I remember we didn't actually start spending any of our own money for some time as the company provided an apartment, car etc for three months as well as grossed up $10K relocation allowance. By the time we left our provided apartment our personal savings had nearly tripled. Which was nice.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:09 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

This

I moved on an L1B, and didn't need to provide any proof of finances. But spent a good $8-10k within my first 3 months of moving.

My company didn't provide a relocation package though, hence the cost