Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do we have a chance? Employment Based.

Do we have a chance? Employment Based.

Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

SavannaMay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we have a chance? Employment Based.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I did an L-1 transfer. My company asked me to transfer (so I had some extra leverage as compared to if I had asked for the transfer).

Part of the agreement with the company was that they would sponsor my Green Card application if the job worked out for me and them. I was not prepared to transfer on an open ended arrangement. If the job did not work out then I would return, but at least I had the comfort of knowing that the company was willing to sponsor my Green card.

The job worked out and the company applied for my Green Card some 7 months after my arrival. Any decent company would be agreeable to this arrangement.

While some folks say that companies don't want to sponsor for Green Cards because the applicant could then just go and work for someone else, I think a good company with a good employee recognises that a happy employee is one that is as likely to stay with the current company, which is providing stable employment, as one who would jump ship
Thank you for this reply, I was hoping I would hear from someone who actually did do an L-1 transfer. It makes sense to make it part of the agreement, if you can, as I hate the idea of having no stability and it was also a worry to think that companies may imply they'll sponsor you and perhaps be a little deceitful in that. I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you though. How long did you work with your company before they asked you to transfer and were you management/senior level?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SavannaMay
Thank you for this reply, I was hoping I would hear from someone who actually did do an L-1 transfer. It makes sense to make it part of the agreement, if you can, as I hate the idea of having no stability and it was also a worry to think that companies may imply they'll sponsor you and perhaps be a little deceitful in that. I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you though. How long did you work with your company before they asked you to transfer and were you management/senior level?
My husband was transferred on a L1a visa...they applied for our GCs right away. We were in a different position...he was a partner with one of the Big 4 Accountancy firms.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this reply, I was hoping I would hear from someone who actually did do an L-1 transfer. It makes sense to make it part of the agreement, if you can, as I hate the idea of having no stability and it was also a worry to think that companies may imply they'll sponsor you and perhaps be a little deceitful in that. ....
You realize that most of the US is a "hire and fire" economy, right? Workers have almost no protection from layoff/redundancy. I could show up at work tomorrow and be told that my services are no longer required and there is almost nothing that I could do about it.

So as applies to what you are asking about, there is nothing to stop an employer terminating your husband's job at pretty much any time. It would make no difference if he was on a visa, a green card, or was a citizen.

As I think someone mention above, holidays are almost universally less generous than in the UK, and there is literally zero legal minimum holiday entitlement - it isn't uncommitted for someone to have zero holiday in their first year after being hired. Typically you get more holiday if you are a manager, or with time served, so you might get additional annual holiday after five or ten years service. Ten days holiday is fairly common, more than 20 days is unusual.

Oh, and most people don't get all the bank holidays. If you're lucky you'll get the six main ones - 1/1, Memorial Day (UK: spring bank holiday), 7/4, Labor Day (seven days after UK August bank holiday), Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had worked for them for 10 years and was transferred under an L-1A (management level).

However, there were plenty of Brit expats in the company who had transferred on L-1's (probably b's) with far less years of employment that me.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Come, come Mr Pulaski - it is not all doom and gloom

Some European and Brit companies transfer folks to the US and they keep their holiday allocation.

I retained my 5 weeks when I moved and so did my colleagues .... but then we did have a great company to work for.

Agree though that it is a"hire and fire", no contract environment. Bit scary that ......
Old Oct 24th 2017, 10:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Come, come Mr Pulaski - it is not all doom and gloom

Some European and Brit companies transfer folks to the US and they keep their holiday allocation.

I retained my 5 weeks when I moved and so did my colleagues .... but then we did have a great company to work for.

Agree though that it is a"hire and fire", no contract environment. Bit scary that ......
My husband retained his UK holiday entitlement. He was transferred L1a and the company applied for the GCs right away. He had a considerable hike in salary + relo package. Had it not worked out he could have moved back to his position in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Come, come Mr Pulaski - it is not all doom and gloom ......
I know, at least not with me. .... I have six weeks and ten public holidays.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I came over on an L1, being offered a job in the US after working for them for 4 years in the UK. I suspect if I'd pushed it, I could have moved over considerably earlier than that. I remember a couple of colleagues moved after 2 or so years in the UK. Applying for a GC after a year in the US was part of the written deal. I think I'd been in the US almost 2 1/2 years by the time I got it and would have had to repay the legal costs in getting it had I left within a year of obtaining it. I left 18 months after getting the Green Card...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 24th 2017 at 11:32 pm.