Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

do I need form DS 156 and DS 158 for an F-1 visa interview?

do I need form DS 156 and DS 158 for an F-1 visa interview?

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:30 am
Just Joined

WillyPete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do I need form DS 156 and DS 158 for an F-1 visa interview?

Do I need to fill in DS 156 and DS 158 for an F1 Visa interview? The questions seemed to be covered by the DS 160 I filed online?
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do I need form DS 156 and DS 158 for an F-1 visa interview?

Originally Posted by WillyPete
Do I need to fill in DS 156 and DS 158 for an F1 Visa interview?
Do the instructions require the DS-156 and DS-158? If so, then yes.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: do I need form DS 156 and DS 158 for an F-1 visa interview?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do the instructions require the DS-156 and DS-158? If so, then yes.

Ian
thank you very much!
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 7:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you very much!
For others reading this thread, what did you find out? Needed or not needed?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 4th 2016 at 3:01 am. Reason: Got my own name wrong.
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For others reading this thread, what did you find out? Needed or not needed?

Rebel
College instructions say they're needed.... I was just curious because the info seems to be mostly duplicate with DS-160. I will fill them in, of course.

My interview at the embassy is on Monday, so I'll post whether I got the F-1 and if I needed the forms or not.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

College instructions say they're needed.... I was just curious because the info seems to be mostly duplicate with DS-160. I will fill them in, of course.
The DS-160: Frequently Asked Questions answers this exact question:

Are additional forms required?

No. The online DS-160 application replaced the DS-156, DS-157, DS-158, and DS-3032, which are no longer necessary.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
The DS-160: Frequently Asked Questions answers this exact question:

thank you so much good Sir!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Ok, my F-1 visa was denied due to lacking ties in home country. I had a history of addiction ( no criminal record) as well as an overstay of 28 days on my VWP due to a hospitalisation in the US. The interview was short and took about 3 mins....max.

My lawyer says the process can be arbitrary and a re-application may successful with a different interviewer. My financial sponsor and the College support me in this, do you guys think it makes sense to try and re-apply for Spring or Summer 2017?

Or will it just get refused outright? Non of my 'marks' against me make me ineligible so I'm wondering if I should give it another shot...

what do you lot think?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to go, the only thing to do is try again. If you don't try again, you'll never know.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you really want to go, the only thing to do is try again. If you don't try again, you'll never know.

Rene
Yes, indeed, I will definitely try again. :fingers crossed:

at least I wasn't found inadmissible, and I know that the process is very arbitrary... a different officer may have come to a different conclusion.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, indeed, I will definitely try again.
Keep in mind that you must now declare the earlier visa denial - and that denial may weigh negatively on your application... especially if you apply immediately. Still, I suppose there's nothing to lose!

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Keep in mind that you must now declare the earlier visa denial - and that denial may weigh negatively on your application... especially if you apply immediately. Still, I suppose there's nothing to lose!

Ian
thank you Ian, I suppose they would have seen the earlier denial anyway? I am in contact with an immigration lawyer in Florida, I'll see what he thinks and will take it from there.