Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Do companies generally have their own immigration policies that differ from the law?!

Do companies generally have their own immigration policies that differ from the law?!

Old Jun 17th 2016, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

TeamTolson38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do companies generally have their own immigration policies that differ from the law?!

My husband has been offered a job with JP Morgan in Jersey City. We live in London UK. Currently he works for a different bank but he worked for JPMorgan for 13 months starting in 2014. JPMorgan phoned him yesterday to say that they have an 'internal immigration policy' that you have to work a year immediately preceding a move to the US (for a visa L1a) but all the websites I've checked including the official UCSIS website say it only has to be one full year in the preceding 3 years. It seems crazy to me that their internal policy is creating problems for them when there is no problem with the american side of things. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any thoughts?
Old Jun 17th 2016, 12:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do companies generally have their own immigration policies that differ from the l

It is not an immigration policy on their part, per se, but rather a hiring policy. If they don't wish to use the immigration policies in place for an L transfer set by the USCIS, then that is their right. They are not trying to circumvent US immigration policies. They have their own hiring rules, domestic and foreign. They also have attorneys who can advise them if they wished to override their internal policy and stay within USCIS immigration laws.

For all your husband knows, they might have a candidate that they wish to give the position to who is already in their employ.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 17th 2016 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do companies generally have their own immigration policies that differ from the l

Seems fair enough to me tbh, I'd imagine most companies would rather move current employees rather than those that work for somebody else. At least that way the employee would have current knowledge of the company and be known to be committed to it, before they spend a small fortune on relocating them.

I don't think this is specifically an immigration issue, so perhaps might be better off in the main USA forum? Let me know if you want me to move it for you.
Old Jun 17th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

TeamTolson38 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I see, JP Morgan head hunted my husband, thats why it seems strange