Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Divorce after I-751 NOA but before Permanent GC

Divorce after I-751 NOA but before Permanent GC

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 4:05 pm
mj

> I just spoke with an immigration atty.... He immediately said....

> What do you think of this story? Is it malarkey?

Well, all 4 service centers have different processing times. Nebraska is in the 5 or 6
month range, according to some posts in the collection.

Heres are some NSC timelines

June 7, 2000 submitted I-751 June 26, 2000 NOA Nov 25, 2000 Approval (no interview)

July 19, 2000 submitted I-751 ???? NOA February 6, 2001 Approval (no interview)

November 13, 2000 mailed in I-751 November 18, 2000 received return receipt (post office)
December 11, 2000 received NOA (no approval yet)

Would you like a prediction based on this small sample? You will be waiting till May or
June until you get an approval letter and you will not be required to go for an
interview. Mike

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 4:51 pm
*Bob

>
> Would you like a prediction based on this small sample? You will be waiting till May or
> June until you get an approval letter and you will not be required to go for an
> interview. Mike

Thank you, and I hope that you are right.

There are some really fine people here to have taken the time to answer my questions.
Yesterday I spent most of the day talking to various immigration lawyers over the phone
about my situation. I heard all sorts of contradictory answers. The experience made me
leery about paying money to these guys. There was only one that impressed me with his
knowledge, candor, and willingness to give me 15 or so minutes of his time. If I should
need a lawyer down the road I will go to him.

The answers I got here are equal to or superior to those from the attys.

Thanks again,

Bob

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 4:58 pm
*Bob

*Bob wrote:

>
>
> Andy,
>
> I just spoke with an immigration atty who I think is lying to me. I told him that I
> filed my I-751 form in mid Nov of last year and received my Notice of Action (NOA)
> Letter (dated Dec 4th) around Xmas. He immediately said that if I haven't received a
> second letter from the INS within about one
> (1)month of the NOA letter asking me to come in for the "stamp", it means the INS has
> selected me (either randomly or deliberately) for an interview. Is this guy BSing me
> to extort fees? Everything that I have read in my research points to the process
> taking many months. I cannot see the INS being so fast.
>
> What do you think of this story? Is it malarkey?
>
> Bob

I will add that this same atty after serving up the above load of you-know-what then
proceeded to tell me that I needed to retain him immediately because some new INS
regulation was creating a windfall of new work for attys. He added that if I waited a
month he might be too busy to help me.

This is what I expect to hear from a used car salesman! "I suggest you buy it now because
there's another fellow who's hot to trot to buy it. He's coming back later today with his
bank loan."

Lucky thing I have a good built-in BS detector.

Bob

Old Feb 24th 2001, 5:34 am
Onigiri

>

>
> >
> >
> > Would you like a prediction based on this small sample? You will be waiting till May
> > or June until you get an approval letter and you will not be required to go for an
> > interview. Mike
>
> Thank you, and I hope that you are right.
We go on and on and on and when finally the faqdaddy weighs in , he does so with
confidence and info from archives. So take a hobby up there in Canada, shovel some snow
for the neighbours, ask what that kid of your PM has done lately, watch the skies for the
geese coming home. Or post here some more. For example, what with all this excitement and
everything, I do not recall you describing the I-751 attachment for evidence of the life
that WAS. If you had just attached a white paper with the scribble, "yup, we did live
together; yessirreeee.....bop.....did we live together...yup yupup..pup..pyeeeee" and not
much else, you have not helped our faqdaddy at all. Mike's estimate must surely depend on
the assumption that your I-751 attachments were nice and kosher and match what the k1faq,
Ma_Hyde or the Jonathan (of the Poop of the Canada Geese) would approve. List the evidence
that you attached with the petition of Nov 2000. RSVP.... and do not draw patterns on the
sheet rock with your fingernails.

> The answers I got here are equal to or superior to those from the attys.
>
> Thanks again,