Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1 sponsorship advice needed please

L1 sponsorship advice needed please

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

florida311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question L1 sponsorship advice needed please

Hi all,

We (hubby and self) are looking at the various visa options to relocate to the US. L1 or EB5 seem to be the most suitable for us at the moment but before we make a decision we need to be sure we have covered all angles. I only joined this forum last week but have found the answer to a lot of my questions already by reading through manyof the threads.

However I have not been able to find the answer to question I have from a point raised on another forum, so I figured I would post on here to ask if anyone can help.

My question is does anyone know if it is possible for a person already in the US on an E2 visa to sponsor someone else in the UK to go over to the States on an L1 and work for them.

Look forward to your replies
Heather
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 sponsorship advice needed please

An L1 would require you to have already worked for them in a UK division of the company for at least 12-months.

I could be a mile off here, but I think an E2 established business can bring over others on an E2... could be wrong, but I think I heard that on here somewhere. Please wait for someone else to verify/dismiss before exploring that further
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1 sponsorship advice needed please

Originally Posted by florida311
My question is does anyone know if it is possible for a person already in the US on an E2 visa to sponsor someone else in the UK to go over to the States on an L1 and work for them.
I believe the answer is yes *if* the person being sponsored worked for your company (the same one you have established in the US) in the UK for at least a year prior to sponsorship. In other words, you can not sponsor someone for an L1 when you only have a business in the US and no UK counterpart.

Ian