Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Cohabiting partner visa - Marital Status and Kids

Cohabiting partner visa - Marital Status and Kids

Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

tier2l1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cohabiting partner visa - Marital Status and Kids

Originally Posted by Rete
In the US a great many insurers do offer insurance to cohabiting partners the same as they do to any married couple (straight and/or gay). Has your employer definitely stated that they will not provide coverage for your cohabiting partner? And if so, what is there reason for doing so?

If they won't, then it is private insurance meaning healthcare insurance purchased under Obamacare or state programs (which I'm not certain she would be eligible for).

At worse, she has no coverage and if in need of a doctor, will have to rely on Urgent Care Centers for medical assistance. In the scheme of things, by the time deductibles and co-pays are considered with insurance will cost her a lot less than healthcare premiums.
My employer has not told anything but reading other threads it appears that only married spouses are eligible for benefits. So, I want to prepare for the worst.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

tier2l1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
For marital status, I would use "other" and put legally separated there.
I am not legally separated. It is just that divorce from ex is still pending in court.

For UK Visa, both me and my partner gave status as 'Unmarried Partner' as that is deemed to be our current status. This was after consulting with an immigration attorney. We both included a detailed note on our previous relationships and documents to indicate that they were ended.

For the US Visa, I see two options:

Option 1:
My status: married (as my divorce from ex is still not formalised)
Cohabiting partner status: divorced (as she has got her divorce order for her previous marriage)

Option 2: Both me and my partner mark marital status as 'Other' and specify cohabiting partner.

Which will be accurate?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are they, though?

Rene
An assumption on my part as the divorce has been in process for 7 years. And the assumption is incorrect I see. Never heard of a divorce taking so long but then have no idea where the divorce is taking place and why the hold up. Not my business and to the OP, I'm not asking for an explanation.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 31st 2018 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tier2l1
I am not legally separated. It is just that divorce from ex is still pending in court.

For UK Visa, both me and my partner gave status as 'Unmarried Partner' as that is deemed to be our current status. This was after consulting with an immigration attorney. We both included a detailed note on our previous relationships and documents to indicate that they were ended.

Option 1:
Cohabiting partner status: divorced (as she has got her divorce order for her previous marriage)

Option 2: Both me and my partner mark marital status as 'Other' and specify cohabiting partner.

Which will be accurate?
Just my layman's opinion, but Option 1 seems more correct.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
...... unless she gets seriously ill or has an accident and then they could face tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills.

Even the Urgent Care Centres in my home town charge around $400 just to be seen by the doctor.
You live in CA ... need I say more LOL

It does come anywhere near that figure here in MS.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 11:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tier2l1

Option 1:

Which will be accurate?
A well-respected member of BE who recently decided to stop posting and leave the forum had what he called his "three rules for completing forms". I think you will find them useful.

Ian's three rules for filling out forms:

1) Take each question at face value;
2) Do not ascribe any meaning to the question beyond that which is plainly written; and
3) Do not try to alter the question to fit your circumstances.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2018 at 12:00 am.