Citizenship through US military

Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship through US military

Im currently in the process of getting a K-1 visa, I've just had my medical and I am awaiting it to be received by the embassy so I can book my interview.

I am seriously looking at joining the US Airforce and I am due to see a recruiter on my next trip. I was wondering if anyone has gone down a similar route of joining the military as a non-citizen, how they found it and if they've gone through citizenship process in that way? I couldn't find anything on search for a topic like this.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship through US military

I believe first you would need to adjust status to that of a legal permanent resident after you are married. When you enlist you'll have access to legal advice via the military.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

That’s what I understand from my research. Though I also read that they require you have your green card prior to shipping out for basic so that makes me think you can start the process whilst your AOS is pending, they can get the security checks done and then as soon as you get your interview they’ll give you a ship out date. That’s what I understand from what I’ve read, haven’t seen anyone else’s experience to base it off.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As Tom said your best bet will be legal advice through the Military themselves.

Once you arrive in the US on your K1 you could also visit one of the Military Information/Enrollment offices to find out more info.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike95
Im currently in the process of getting a K-1 visa, I've just had my medical and I am awaiting it to be received by the embassy so I can book my interview.

I am seriously looking at joining the US Airforce and I am due to see a recruiter on my next trip. I was wondering if anyone has gone down a similar route of joining the military as a non-citizen, how they found it and if they've gone through citizenship process in that way? I couldn't find anything on search for a topic like this.
You don't need the medical to be received by the US Embassy to book your interview date. You could have booked it before or even today.

The reason why you aren't getting much information on joining the US military as a PR for the purpose of obtaining US Citizenship is because the forum has seen very few instances of this scenario.

There is one poster wanting to join the US military as soon as he gets his PR after entering the US on an approved Immediate Relative Visa is for educational purposes. Whatever the reason for your decision to join the military it would appear, as he has pointed out, it might take up to a year for security clearance in order to go through basic training. His issue is supporting his family while waiting out that security clearance.

You are aware that once you have adjusted status, you will be eligible to apply for US naturalization 2 years and 9 months from the date of your approved PR status which will be shown on your green card.

Is there a reason why you wish to become a US Citizen perhaps a year sooner? Are you hoping to be able to petition for an immediate relative, i.e. a parent, to come to reside in the US?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't need the medical to be received by the US Embassy to book your interview date. You could have booked it before or even today.

The reason why you aren't getting much information on joining the US military as a PR for the purpose of obtaining US Citizenship is because the forum has seen very few instances of this scenario.

There is one poster wanting to join the US military as soon as he gets his PR after entering the US on an approved Immediate Relative Visa is for educational purposes. Whatever the reason for your decision to join the military it would appear, as he has pointed out, it might take up to a year for security clearance in order to go through basic training. His issue is supporting his family while waiting out that security clearance.

You are aware that once you have adjusted status, you will be eligible to apply for US naturalization 2 years and 9 months from the date of your approved PR status which will be shown on your green card.

Is there a reason why you wish to become a US Citizen perhaps a year sooner? Are you hoping to be able to petition for an immediate relative, i.e. a parent, to come to reside in the US?
Thanks for your reply. Whenever I go on the website to book the interview, when I input my details it says the case is not ready for an interview yet, I assumed this was because they don't have the results of my medical yet but your statement would mean otherwise. Is there something I'm missing or could it just be a technical error?

Well, that makes sense, I thought as might. Citizenship is only one of the reasons why I am thinking about joining the military. Financial stability, healthcare, the interest and adventure involved and an element of believing I should do my bit, however small to serve the country I am looking to make my home. The security clearance element is something I need to explore and I will update my findings when I can for others.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

On the interview note, I have sent an email to their support email so hopefully it gets sorted.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is the poster I was referencing:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...ide-us-908579/

If you go to a major shopping center, you will find recruiting offices setup in store fronts for the various services. If you are planning on coming to the US to visit with the fiancée, stop in at one of there and talk to them in person.