Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship and passport application

Citizenship and passport application

Old Jun 23rd 2022, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship and passport application

Just a note in case this is useful for someone and also because i am chuffed as about to become a US citizen after arriving here on an L1-B 10 yrs ago
17 Nov 2021 - Sent in application
11 May 2022 - interview. Unlike Mrs NewAdventure who had oath ceremony the same day as her interview a few months ago, their background check system was down so i had to wait for oath ceremony
24 Jun 2022. Oath ceremony scheduled. I am travelling back to UK on 17 July so there won't be time to apply for a US passport by the usual method. I phoned up today to make an in person appointment. Phone lines open at 08:00, i didn't get through until 08:30 and then had a 25 min wait. Making appointments 2 weeks out, 6 July - our nearest location (Atlanta) was fully booked so i made an appointment in DC. The guy at the other end of the phone was very friendly and chatty. As he went on about his father's experience in the UK during WWII, i did wonder about the poor people pulling their hair out trying to get through to make an appointment. It is possible to change appointments, so i might try again in a couple of days time and see if i can get an Atlanta appointment. I have to take along the completed form, passport photo, all the other bits of paper and proof of travel.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 1:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and passport application

Glad you were able to get an appointment for an expedited passport.

Can't wait to hear your description of today's oath ceremony.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rete. Write up, as requested:

I was one of 62 new citizens coming from 31 different countries at the first outdoors ceremony in SC since covid. Location was Middleton Place, a plantation house owned at one time by Arthur Middleton, one of the signatorys on the Declaration of Independence. We had a singing of the national anthem, a reading of the Declaration of Independence and then a short but thoughtful address by the judge reminding us that the privileges and rights that we enjoy can't be taken for granted and must continue to be fought for. Overall a respectful, celebratory occasion; all officials relaxed and happy. We had a recital of 'America the Beautiful' by solo sax and then were free to walk the grounds, being reminded of the shared history of the place and very different lives of those that lived here. I was accompanied by eldest daughter and it was great to be able to share the occasion with her. Only when we got home did we discover that the Supreme Court had overturned Roe vs Wade...
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Good news and bad news on the same day.

Your oath ceremony sounds wonderful. I'm glad you had all the pomp and circumstances deserved on such an important occasion.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 5:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Thanks Rete. Write up, as requested:

I was one of 62 new citizens coming from 31 different countries at the first outdoors ceremony in SC since covid. Location was Middleton Place, a plantation house owned at one time by Arthur Middleton, one of the signatorys on the Declaration of Independence. We had a singing of the national anthem, a reading of the Declaration of Independence and then a short but thoughtful address by the judge reminding us that the privileges and rights that we enjoy can't be taken for granted and must continue to be fought for. Overall a respectful, celebratory occasion; all officials relaxed and happy. We had a recital of 'America the Beautiful' by solo sax and then were free to walk the grounds, being reminded of the shared history of the place and very different lives of those that lived here. I was accompanied by eldest daughter and it was great to be able to share the occasion with her. Only when we got home did we discover that the Supreme Court had overturned Roe vs Wade...
Are they giving out welcome letters form the President again? I had mine under the previous administration and get a lovely welcome letter with president Trumps signature / child’s drawing of the Manhattan skyline on it.. (I was surprised at the kind and welcoming words on it)…
Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
Are they giving out welcome letters form the President again? I had mine under the previous administration and get a lovely welcome letter with president Trumps signature / child’s drawing of the Manhattan skyline on it.. (I was surprised at the kind and welcoming words on it)…
Not at our ceremony
Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:32 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Not at our ceremony
I wonder why the Biden Admin does not do it… they are printed and not hand signed so can’t be that much work to photoshop on the new signature… I had always read they are more welcoming to immigrants. Our senior Senator was even there to hand out the certificates and flags and take pictures (pre CV19).

congrats and welcome

Last edited by tht; Jun 27th 2022 at 6:37 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I just realised that his signature looks like it says Anal Mumph.
Old Jun 28th 2022, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

My letter from Trump went straight in the trash.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
My letter from Trump went straight in the trash.
More than I got from Biden.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 2:18 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I wonder why the Biden Admin does not do it… they are printed and not hand signed so can’t be that much work to photoshop on the new signature… I had always read they are more welcoming to immigrants. Our senior Senator was even there to hand out the certificates and flags and take pictures (pre CV19).

congrats and welcome

No bells and whistles back in the 1990s when I had my ceremony. Received the certificate from some functionary and headed home.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 1:02 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No bells and whistles back in the 1990s when I had my ceremony. Received the certificate from some functionary and headed home.
Same as at hubby's ceremony. No screen speech by the Prez and no letter either. No biggie really.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 6:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Same as at hubby's ceremony. No screen speech by the Prez and no letter either. No biggie really.
Donald had an inclination to believe “l'etat, c'est moi” and wanted people to know it. Remember the 2020 Economic Stimulus Checks were issued with President Trumps name thereon?
Old Jun 29th 2022, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
More than I got from Biden.
All the paper was burnt from the previous administration... blank or not, take no chances!

I only jest..
Old Jun 29th 2022, 9:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Donald had an inclination to believe “l'etat, c'est moi” and wanted people to know it. Remember the 2020 Economic Stimulus Checks were issued with President Trumps name thereon?

The President was George Bush when Jim was naturalized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.