Citizenship application

Old Jul 2nd 2017, 3:59 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application

Originally Posted by Rete

Passport turn around is from 5 to 10 days.
Visa journey timelines are not reflecting this, nor is my experience or that of colleagues. Two colleagues had to wait around 6 weeks recently for a simple renewal.

My USA passport took 10 days but that was only because I paid for expedited delivery and needed to travel urgently so I called to see if they could progress it faster. They did BTW; had a call 48 hours later from the person processing my application. She sent it UPS next day air by 1030. Exceptionally good service.

There should be someone there at the oath ceremony to start the process for you.

And this was kinda the mistake I made. I forgot that USPS charges a $25 fee for passport acceptance, whereas it would have been free at the ceremony.

My thinking was - and I still stand by this - that processing my application that day was far quicker at my local USPS than with 800 others vying to do the same.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Your interview will be after the 4th of July? I ask because usually they tend to do the oath ceremony BIG on the 4th so you would not be swearing in at that time.

Passport turn around is from 5 to 10 days. There should be someone there at the oath ceremony to start the process for you.
Update: Passed my interview this morning, the field officer thinks the oath ceremony will be about 60 days out - she didn't think going to the UK for a week this month will be an issue but, if it comes through early - she said just let them know I will be out of the country.

Job done.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shezi59
Update: Passed my interview this morning, the field officer thinks the oath ceremony will be about 60 days out - she didn't think going to the UK for a week this month will be an issue but, if it comes through early - she said just let them know I will be out of the country.

Job done.
Congratulations! Was there any doubt. Quite an easy test of language skills and knowledge. So you will have time to go on your trip and relax and have fun and then back again to wait for the ceremony date. Perfect.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Job done.
Congratulations!
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Update: Passed my interview this morning, . ....
Congratulate!
Congratulations! Was there any doubt. Quite an easy test of language skills and knowledge. .....
"Quite easy"?!?! I found it to be similar to a US driving test.

The interview and test questions should not be any challenge at all to a native English speaker with a vague awareness of US history and an equally vague awareness of how the government of the US is organized.

Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand. The rest was spent shooting the breeze about, in no particular order: the Falklands war, the Gulf war(s), Saddam Hussein and other Middle Eastern despots, the (then current) Afghan war and previous conflicts in Afghanistan, the method of government in the UK, the Royal family, the history of the Royal family and how it relates to the government of the UK, including the Act of Union, renovating houses, in the UK and US, rewiring work and electrical standards, plumbing, roofs, and other sundry construction topics, such as hardwood flooring, crawlspaces the joys of working in them, and how to deal with the dirt, damp, and the bugs and critters you might find down there. It was a busy hour!
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations! Was there any doubt. Quite an easy test of language skills and knowledge. So you will have time to go on your trip and relax and have fun and then back again to wait for the ceremony date. Perfect.
Thanks Rete - I'm a quiet member here (and sometimes not so much!) but I read lots and learn much. BE experiences have definitely been a helpful guide on what to do / not to do!

Originally Posted by tom169
Congratulations!
Cheers Tom!
Old Jul 8th 2017, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Congratulate!

"Quite easy"?!?! I found it to be similar to a US driving test.

The interview and test questions should not be any challenge at all to a native English speaker with a vague awareness of US history and an equally vague awareness of how the government of the US is organized.

Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand. The rest was spent shooting the breeze about, in no particular order: the Falklands war, the Gulf war(s), Saddam Hussein and other Middle Eastern despots, the (then current) Afghan war and previous conflicts in Afghanistan, the method of government in the UK, the Royal family, the history of the Royal family and how it relates to the government of the UK, including the Act of Union, renovating houses, in the UK and US, rewiring work and electrical standards, plumbing, roofs, and other sundry construction topics, such as hardwood flooring, crawlspaces the joys of working in them, and how to deal with the dirt, damp, and the bugs and critters you might find down there. It was a busy hour!
I was nervous about the interview the night before, a little when I got up on the morning of - not so much by the time I got to the office. I was prepped and ready - but even so, there is some flutterings relative to how big a deal it feels I guess...

The officer was great - personable, sense of humor... she asked if I had any British titles; I said 'no but sometimes I think I'm a princess', she cracked up and it broke the ice. Altogether a very pleasant experience.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 6:24 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Now you have to basically make sure that you don't get arrested / cited for any traffic offences between now and your oath ceremony.

I drove like an angel for the 45 ish days I had to wait for my oath ceremony. I'm sure you won't have a problem, but just bear in mind the questions asked on form N-445 (which will soon be reaching you).
Old Jul 8th 2017, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Now you have to basically make sure that you don't get arrested / cited for any traffic offences between now and your oath ceremony.

I drove like an angel for the 45 ish days I had to wait for my oath ceremony. I'm sure you won't have a problem, but just bear in mind the questions asked on form N-445 (which will soon be reaching you).
That's a really good reminder - thanks!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Just wanted to post an update to my application for naturalization, I attended the oath ceremony last Friday and am now the proud owner of a naturalization certificate and a 'USC' status!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to post an update to my application for naturalization, I attended the oath ceremony last Friday and am now the proud owner of a naturalization certificate and a 'USC' status! ....
Woo hoo! Congratulations! ..... Not sure if that's the best smilie for the occasion, but oh well.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Woo hoo! Congratulations! ..... Not sure if that's the best smilie for the occasion, but oh well.
It'll do
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I attended the oath ceremony last Friday and am now the proud owner of a naturalization certificate and a 'USC' status!
Congratulations! End of the journey!

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations! End of the journey!

Ian
Thanks Ian, it does feel good to be done with it all!