Citizenship application

Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

AndyW149 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship application

Quick question.

If I apply for citizenship am I able to leave and re enter the US with my green card while the application is being processed? Or can I not leave the country until the application is complete?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application

You can come and go as you please, but be aware of the requirements around amount of time spent in the USA.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 7:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A citizenship application does not land-lock you in the US - you can continue to come and go as you please, subject, as Tom said above, to you spend in sufficient time in the US.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll just add here that you need to keep track of all travel outside the US between the time the N-400 is submitted and your interview. You will be required to account for all time outside the US.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Minty will become famous soon enoughMinty will become famous soon enough

Quick answer is yes! I have just had my naturalization interview and made a quick trip to Canada that wasn't included on the N-400 application form when I submitted it. During the interview they will ask you a question regarding travel and in my instance they just added that trip to the form. No issues at all.

The only time travel may be a problem, and I'm not sure about this, is at the oath ceremony you hand in your green card. Therefore there may be a period of time before applying and receiving a US passport that you only have your current passport and no greencard. Not sure how you handle travel. Maybe you have to take your naturalization certificate with you? I don't know but its a question all the same.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 5:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since a USC needs a US passport to return to the USA, one would have to postpone travel.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since a USC needs a US passport to return to the USA, one would have to postpone travel. ....
Or postpone the citizenship ceremony.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Or postpone the citizenship ceremony.
And that's what I'm thinking about right now! I have my interview scheduled for next week and a trip to the UK at the end of July. If the oath ceremony was scheduled between the two, at this point I would reschedule the ceremony, I think.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shezi59
And that's what I'm thinking about right now! I have my interview scheduled for next week and a trip to the UK at the end of July. If the oath ceremony was scheduled between the two, at this point I would reschedule the ceremony, I think.
Your interview will be after the 4th of July? I ask because usually they tend to do the oath ceremony BIG on the 4th so you would not be swearing in at that time.

Passport turn around is from 5 to 10 days. There should be someone there at the oath ceremony to start the process for you.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minty
Therefore there may be a period of time before applying and receiving a US passport that you only have your current passport and no greencard. Not sure how you handle travel. Maybe you have to take your naturalization certificate with you? I don't know but its a question all the same.
I was lucky enough to live near a Regional Passport Agency. I had the oath ceremony on Sept 11, booked an appt with St.Albans, VT Passport Agency for the following day, a Friday (some I naturalized with headed there right after the oath ceremony). I had my new passport the following Monday, five days after my ceremony. Very easy, but only if you live close enough to one of the regional centers. I am pretty certain I didn't pay for an expedited service. I know they offered a same day service too.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Your interview will be after the 4th of July? I ask because usually they tend to do the oath ceremony BIG on the 4th so you would not be swearing in at that time.

Passport turn around is from 5 to 10 days. There should be someone there at the oath ceremony to start the process for you.
My interview is on the 7th. Processing is very slow this year it seems (I filed last October), so I caved in and booked a quick trip home.... wouldn't you know, my interview was scheduled within a couple of weeks of doing that!
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:45 am

My interview is on the 7th. Processing is very slow this year it seems (I filed last October), so I caved in and booked a quick trip home.... wouldn't you know, my interview was scheduled within a couple of weeks of doing that!
Maybe you should have booked your trip home earlier?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe you should have booked your trip home earlier?
It wasn't an option, Pulaski
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:30 pm

It wasn't an option, Pulaski
It was a joke - maybe if you had booked your trip earlier it would have triggered and earlier interview.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

It was a joke - maybe if you had booked your trip earlier it would have triggered and earlier interview.
Lol, sorry... Not had coffee yet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.