Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Chickandnancy's question about son sponsoring their family

Chickandnancy's question about son sponsoring their family

Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:26 am
Just Joined

chickandnancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chickandnancy's question about son sponsoring their family

hi im im married with son 18 daughter 14 living in north uk, my oldest son 28 is a us citizen and wanting to sponsor my family , can anyone tell me the quickest way my husband is already in usa on b2 visa looking after grandchildren because sons job has got him working longer hours is it better if we all go over and he files an i130 and gc or can we stay here until approval tia
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chickandnancy's question about son sponsoring their family

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to our US immi sub-forum, and hopefully given it a more relevant title, the good folks there will be able to advise on the process.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chickandnancy
hi im im married with son 18 daughter 14 living in north uk, my oldest son 28 is a us citizen and wanting to sponsor my family , can anyone tell me the quickest way my husband is already in usa on b2 visa looking after grandchildren because sons job has got him working longer hours is it better if we all go over and he files an i130 and gc or can we stay here until approval tia
I wouldn't "shout" about that if I were you...

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...nent-residents
For you (the parents)

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...nent-residents
For the USC's siblings
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And just to add to the above, you can check the Visa Bulletin here to see when those in the same categories that are getting their visas now applied, just to give you an idea of timings.

AFAIK, there's no way for you all to move together, you'd get your visas much, much quicker than your other children, but the pros will be along shortly to help you figure it out.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...uary-2017.html

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your USC son needs to file an I-130 petition for each parent and each sibling. For the parents, it takes about 8 to 10 months to get an immigrant visa. For the siblings, it takes 12 to 15 years or so.

Once the parents immigrate, they could petition for the other kids as well, with probably a 7+ year wait. See the Visa Bulletin for details.

The immigrant visa process is done outside the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:28 am
Just Joined

chickandnancy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys husband got his b2 visa to help look after our granchildren yes he told the embassy his son and wife both had good jobs and were struggling to juggle work school and activities with the children and they gave him a 10 year b1/b2 visa and the lady at the embassy actually said to husband you do know your son can sponsor you ? i wanted to stay here until approval was wondering how long it would take or are we better off all going over to minnesota we do own a home there
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys husband got his b2 visa to help look after our granchildren yes he told the embassy his son and wife both had good jobs and were struggling to juggle work school and activities with the children and they gave him a 10 year b1/b2 visa and the lady at the embassy actually said to husband you do know your son can sponsor you ? i wanted to stay here until approval was wondering how long it would take or are we better off all going over to minnesota we do own a home there
Answered above.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i wanted to stay here until approval was wondering how long it would take or are we better off all going over to minnesota we do own a home there
As per the first line of Noorah's post no. 5 above.

HTH.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

US son sponsors Father

Say a year, then Father sponsors sons oldest one may well take much longer but younger so say another 2 years.

US son sponsors Mother bout a year before she wants to move.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:14 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

i wanted to stay here until approval [/QUOTE]

That's good because that's the way it has to be done.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

... or can we stay here until approval tia
By "here" I assume you mean UK. Yes, you must all stay in the UK until each of your immigrant visas are approved. Including your husband.

Your USC son should file an I-130 now, for at least you and your husband. He can file for his siblingsl too, to get them a holding place in line (although it will be many years until anything happens with this route).

Your husband should return to the UK when his US visit is done. Then you and he can move to the USA together when your immigrant visas get approved (8 to 10 months after filing I-130).

The 2 remaining kids can't move to the USA at the same time as you and your husband, but you can each sponsor them after you immigrate to the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Chickandnancy's question about son sponsoring their family

The Husband is in the US and can stay and adjust.

I assume the Mother would not wish to leave the younger child?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Husband is in the US and can stay and adjust.

I assume the Mother would not wish to leave the younger child?
Probably. Which means the husband will be living separate from the rest of the family for quite some time.

Bottom line is, they are not all going to be getting to the USA as a family unit.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Probably. Which means the husband will be living separate from the rest of the family for quite some time.

Bottom line is, they are not all going to be getting to the USA as a family unit.

Rene
They could wait for the slowest to go together, but as the OP was wanting the quickest route I focussed on that.