Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

carpenter looking to move to colorado

carpenter looking to move to colorado

Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: carpenter looking to move to colorado

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
To be read carefully. Some ways are buried or not obvious (e.g. spouse born in Northern Ireland).
The OP has been given the link several times already; but yet hasn't responded to numerous requests as to which US visa(s) they might qualify for.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:52 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarkefamily
Why not is the question more so were drawn to the place from other sources which i need not mention. Because iv got ambition and drive and I want to succeed in life not be someone who sits back and watches the world go by. Iv already been to australia and didnt like it so im moving on to my next adventure i believe theres a perfect place out there for everyone and I'm free and not governed by governments anymore

Want to be "not governed by governments" but you want to come to the USA? Can I have a pint of what you're drinking? The reality is, even if you can find a way to get a work visa (and I strongly doubt it), not only will you be governed by arguably a worse government than you've already got, one that puts more importance on how much money you have than access to basic healthcare, but as a non-citizen you won't even be able to vote to change it!

I'm not being patronizing but you know nothing about life here. It's not what you think it is. It's not the place to come because you're tired of life in the U.K. Whatever gets you down there, will still exist here. There's no such thing as the utopia you are seeking. Have you thought about why you're so unhappy? Often small changes can make a big difference. Stop looking for a reason to come here because it's not going to happen. So make the most of what you've got, which is a lot more than many people in this world. I really am baffled by people who think life in the U.K. is so awful. You really have no idea what a privilege it is. The grass isn't always greener.

You will find that coming here for a "nice life" is very rare among westerners. Most of us are here because either they were transferred here by their company or because they are married to or are closeky related to an American. People from developing countries want to come for a "nice life". That's not to say we don't have a nice life here, but for many that wasn't the primary reason. Because life is no better or worse here than the U.K. except here I have my husband. And I'd have a wonderful life with him wherever he happened to be. I came for him, not to chase the American dream. There is really no economical advantage here over the U.K.

Last edited by Twinkle0927; Mar 24th 2018 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

The US is NOT the land of milk and honey you think it to be.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not is the question more so were drawn to the place from other sources which i need not mention. Because iv got ambition and drive and I want to succeed in life not be someone who sits back and watches the world go by. Iv already been to australia and didnt like it so im moving on to my next adventure i believe theres a perfect place out there for everyone and I'm free and not governed by governments anymore
That would seem to exclude the US, having had numerous dealings with the Building Dept, OMG.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

clarkefamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
To be read carefully. Some ways are buried or not obvious (e.g. spouse born in Northern Ireland).
I like this I will read up Folinsky it has hidden agendas
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrating to another country that requires a visa means that you are governed by a government and one that is not always to your liking and one that, frankly, does not have your best interest in mind. The US government cares little for immigrants and the process to come here to live and work is froth with paperwork, costs a goodly sum per person, and until you become a citizen can deport you regardless of green card status for what your country considers minor infractions of the law.

You thought Australia was the place for you and found it did not live up to your expectations. It is quite as likely that your expectations of finding that perfect place in the US is also a dream that falls far short.

Unless you are willing to dump the fiancée and find a USC naïve enough to want to marry you, you have no skills that will enable you at the moment to seek fulfillment of that dream. The only thing that might help is if either you or the fiancée have citizenship in a country which will allow you to apply for the diversity visa lottery while it is still in available.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

clarkefamily is an unknown quantity at this point

whos in construction on here?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Construction is not on the list of skilled workers eligible for a visa.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:43 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty much irrelevant. There may be someone in construction but unless they came here on a work visa specifically for construction workers (which doesn't exist) then they can't offer any advice with moving here.

Keep dreaming and enjoy your holidays here. That's all it's going to be.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 8:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well not buy a ticket...
They might not get a printed ticket but often passage is purchased.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

We are. California E2 visa. Only way to avoid government is go join a cult in the boonies. Plenty of them but not recommended.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Why does that matter? It doesn't change the information you've been given.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2018, 9:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this I will read up Folinsky it has hidden agendas
Why, are you or your fiancee from an eligible country for the DV lottery?

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2018, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I am.

No paid leave, no healthcare coverage, crap wages and thanks to twenty years in the UK self employed my pension prospects suck. I had over twenty years time served as a highly skilled joiner in the boatbuilding industry (think 100 quid/hr skilled to get some idea). I couldn't even get a job as a kitchen fitter here when I moved out, nobody trusts skilled immigrants! Currently working as an aluminium roofer/builder with a bit of general construction thrown in, only got that job because the boss was willing to take a punt on the unknown.

Canada was somewhere I looked at before meeting a US wife, which changed things up a bit. Canada is screaming for skilled trades, so much so that they don't issue enough work visas to meet demand! The points system was easy to reach target, especially if you have a smattering of French to bump up the numbers. But, unlike Colorado, you can't buy cannabis legally in Canada.

Cultural differences here are underestimated, they nearly speak English which helps but I found it easier living and working in France than I do here.

On a positive note, with the way things are going with talk about visas here it might not be many years before the US offers a skilled trades visa but I wouldn't want to waste my life hanging about hoping for it to happen. Unfortunately, much as we like to avoid government interference, immigration puts us right in the forefront of government red tape.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 12:17 am
Banned

Well if it's access to legal marijuana that matters, the British Columbia border might be a good part of Canada to consider so that you can make quick hops over here to us in WA and contribute to our tax coffers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.