Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship completed....

Canadian Citizenship completed....

Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of
Default Canadian Citizenship completed....

My wife and myself attended the Canadian citizenship swearing in ceremony today so we're now officially Canadian (well dual nationality as we're Brits).......even though we're moving back to the UK on 11th December.

The ceremony was a much better process than the citizenship test in August but we didn't feel any different inside either during or after the ceremony. That's probably no surprise given that we're leaving soon but I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar experience?

Deep down I thought Canadian citizenship might have helped us feel more settled when we applied but it didn't. I guess if you feel you don't belong then a piece of laminated paper isn't going to make a difference.

It does feel like a milestone for us though, in that it's written the final chapter in the book of the adventure story that began in January 2004 when we originally emmigrated to Canada.

I'm listening to Robbie William's "Feel" song (see KK's thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637331 on MBTTUK Anthem) while typing this- very poignant.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship completed....

Well done and I'm sure in a way it makes the time you've spent here a little more worthwhile even though you may never make use of it.

I don't think anything really makes any difference what you do if you don't feel settled in a place. I've tried and tried and it always feels like something is missing, but you guys have done well if you've been here since 2004, I haven't even managed a year without feeling immensely unhappy. lol

Put it all down as an experience you've learned much from and you can look forward to the next chapter of your life now. That's what I intend to do if nothing else and I feel even if I haven't achieved much here I have learned alot from the experience.

Good luck on your move back to the UK...I'm jealous wishing I was back for Christmas!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Ciderman- congrats- if you feel anything like hubby and I -we felt like we deserved it after all the SH*T we have been through!! We came in 2002.

Hope your move to UK goes well-we are envious as we are really close to making the move back ourselves....'cept ours will be in Spring co s we have an elderly dog and we want to be able to go back on Queen Mary....

Best of British mate!!

Originally Posted by Ciderman
My wife and myself attended the Canadian citizenship swearing in ceremony today so we're now officially Canadian (well dual nationality as we're Brits).......even though we're moving back to the UK on 11th December.

The ceremony was a much better process than the citizenship test in August but we didn't feel any different inside either during or after the ceremony. That's probably no surprise given that we're leaving soon but I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar experience?

Deep down I thought Canadian citizenship might have helped us feel more settled when we applied but it didn't. I guess if you feel you don't belong then a piece of laminated paper isn't going to make a difference.

It does feel like a milestone for us though, in that it's written the final chapter in the book of the adventure story that began in January 2004 when we originally emmigrated to Canada.

I'm listening to Robbie William's "Feel" song (see KK's thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637331 on MBTTUK Anthem) while typing this- very poignant.

Last edited by shelley748; Oct 28th 2009 at 10:22 pm. Reason: additional text
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I got my Citizenship 10 days before I jumped ship and I must say I felt a bit of a fraud on the day of the ceremony knowing that I was leaving, but my kids were both born there (as was my oh) so I felt after spending over 8 years of my life in the place I may as well get a souvenir

Anyway congratulation at least that's something else you can tick off the To Do list