Can i work?

Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Shoie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can i work?

Hello,
I have just received my package after going for the green card interview in London. i had to leave for work in Libya before it came through (2 uk passports) so i haven't had chance to see what's what.

My question is .... Can i work straight away when i enter the u.s & get processed for the first time? do i get a temp work permit or something?

as i mentioned, i'm woring in Libya, i am due to go to the u.s in 5 weeks but was going to be returning to work after 3. however, i've just been offered a job in u.s & will probably take it..... if i can work straight away when entering.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can i work?

Tell us which visa category you are entering under. K-1, CR-1, IR-1, DV, other?
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

I'm getting my greencard processed on entry no k1 or anything.
as stated above, i went for the green card interview & got told to give them the pack received when i get there & they will process me in.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shoie
I'm getting my greencard processed on entry no k1 or anything.
as stated above, i went for the green card interview & got told to give them the pack received when i get there & they will process me in.
CR1
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
CR1
Cheers Ray. if you say so. i haven't got a scooby.
so, can i work as soon as i get to u.s on a cr1?
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... i haven't got a scooby.
How can you possibly apply for an US immigration benefit without knowing anything about it? It must be nice to go through life without a clue... no worries or distractions! Probably keeps the stress level down... well, at least until you need some information.

The assumption for a CR-1 visa is is that you're married to a US citizen. You don't say, and we're not mind readers.

so, can i work as soon as i get to u.s on a cr1?
If you have a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, yes. You'll need proof that you've applied for a Social Security number but that won't stop you from working. Oh, to answer your earlier question, when you enter the US your visa will be validated - and that validation is the equivalent of a US "green card" until such time as your physical card arrives in the mail.

Ian
Old Dec 19th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How can you possibly apply for an US immigration benefit without knowing anything about it? It must be nice to go through life without a clue... no worries or distractions! Probably keeps the stress level down... well, at least until you need some information.

If you have a CR-1 or IR-1 visa, yes. You'll need proof that you've applied for a Social Security number but that won't stop you from working. Oh, to answer your earlier question, when you enter the US your visa will be validated - and that validation is the equivalent of a US "green card" until such time as your physical card arrives in the mail.

Ian
I was not implying that i don't have a clue about the application. i just didn't realise that the stamp was a cr1. I knew everything i needed to know about filling for my GC. at the interview they informed me of what happens when i travel & said "you will be processed & they will give you a temp green card" but i have not seen my passport to look at the stamp.
Believe me, i have many worries & distractions & hell of a lot of stress, running a seismic exploration crew is not easy. maybe that's why i missed the information about the cr1.
just for the record, i am a member on many different forums of many different subjects that i am "Clued up on" & always there to give advice & information.
I have been through the visa process for Algeria, Libya, Dubai, Madagaskar, Argentina & had 3 different u.s visa's as well as working in Germany, France & Belgum so i hope to be able to pass on some knowledge on this site too.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was not implying that i don't have a clue about the application. i just didn't realise that the stamp was a cr1. I knew everything i needed to know about filling for my GC. at the interview they informed me of what happens when i travel & said "you will be processed & they will give you a temp green card" but i have not seen my passport to look at the stamp.
Believe me, i have many worries & distractions & hell of a lot of stress,
Hi, I've moved your thread to the US Immigration forum where you'll get more on topic replies.

Your visa is called an Immigrant Visa (class CR-1 indicates that you are married less than 2 years to a US citizen).

When you arrive to the US, you will be admitted as a "Permanent Resident". PRs carry a "green card" as evidence of their status.
You are work & travel authorized immediately; the endorsed visa in your passport serves as your 'green card' until the actual card is produced and mailed to you.
You can accept the position in the US immediately. Be sure you have a good US mailing address at arrival; you can update it with the agent when you're getting processed in and that is where your GC and Social Security card (if you ordered one) will be sent.

Here's a little guide to the process. Safe travels, and welcome to America.
Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
Port Of Entry (POE)
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Ian, that's not really very fair. The first post says what he is applying for (more or less) and he shows some knowledge about it.. not "without knowing anything about it".

Let's help people use the correct terminology so they will understand the resources they come across.. like Immigrant Visa instead of the incorrect CR-1/IR-1 'visa' (no such thing).

My DH is one of those morons who didn't really know what he was applying for. As you know, I did all the paperwork and he did as he was told.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, that's exactly what i wanted to know. i already have a home, ss & lisence as i've been living in savannah for 6 years. i was working there for 3 & for the last 3 years i have been working away on 6 weeks on 3 weeks off rotation so i have been coming back on a visa waver every time until now.
Thanks again
Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:20 pm

Thanks for that, that's exactly what i wanted to know. i already have a home, ss & lisence as i've been living in savannah for 6 years. i was working there for 3 & for the last 3 years i have been working away on 6 weeks on 3 weeks off rotation so i have been coming back on a visa waver every time until now.
Thanks again
Sounds like you are all set then!

Did you ever have an issues with your VWP re-entries? That Q comes up very now and again from people who work offshore and don't have a permanent home outside the US... one guy even got a 5 year ban for it.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Sounds like you are all set then!

Did you ever have an issues with your VWP re-entries? That Q comes up very now and again from people who work offshore and don't have a permanent home outside the US... one guy even got a 5 year ban for it.
no problem at all. just always explained that i was on vacation from work again & over to see my wife. I just use my mother's address in uk.
Been going back for 3 weeks every 6 for the past 3 years.
the only problems i get are from a passport full of arabic visas but when i explain that i'm out there finding oil so they can have cheap gas for their big v8 truck, they have a border patrol laugh (the corner of their lip twitches) and i go sailing by.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I.m curious. How do we know that Shoie has a CR-1? He/She doesn't seem to know what they have and no where is it mentioned that he/she has a USC spouse. There are no "old" posts from him/her to indicate what they might have derived a visa from.

BTW if you have lived and worked in Savannah, GA for 6 years, what visa did you have that allowed you to live and work here and to obtain a social security number?

I'm wondering if perhaps you didn't either win the visa lottery and/or derived your visa at the US Consulate through employment based application for permanent residence.

I do hope you come back and answer those questions for me.

And Ian, be nice, not everyone is visa savvy and that does not apply to only USC but to foreigners. My DH didn't have a clue what I applied for for his immigration to the US. It was only after the fact that his lightbulb got lite

Last edited by Rete; Dec 19th 2009 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Your last response while I was typing mentions a spouse
Old Dec 19th 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

ok. here goes.....
I'm a 33 year old brit bloke that married a usc 1 1/2 years ago. i went for a greencard through marrige & had the interview 2 weeks ago.
i was working in louisiana first for 5 months on a 6 month H2B. got ss within a month cos local cops didn't know whe law & forced us to get state DL. then continued to work in Savannah. applied for L1B & got it 9 months later (all while still working) that lasted 3 years, then i took this job & became a tourist so didn't go for the extensions.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 9:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Okay, I.m curious. How do we know that Shoie has a CR-1
Men know the ways of men ....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.