Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I use ESTA for this special type of business activity?

Can I use ESTA for this special type of business activity?

Old Apr 21st 2015, 12:19 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use ESTA for this special type of business activity?

Originally Posted by henry2015
Thanks guys for all the feedback, you've given some good perspective. First lawyer has said he can write a letter for $350.00 saying it is within the VWP.

Maybe new thread/topic, what're the good Immigration Lawyers?
Hell I can write you a letter saying that.... I'll even do it for half the price

doesn't mean that it's true though.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

First lawyer has said he can write a letter for $350.00 saying it is within the VWP.
Whether it's a $350.00 letter or a $0.01 letter... it'll make no difference because the lawyer won't be the one making the decision whether or not to let you enter the US. That decision rests solely with the CBP officer... and he isn't going to give a fuzzy rat's ass what the lawyer thinks.

Maybe new thread/topic, what're the good Immigration Lawyers?
Complete waste of time... and "good" is highly subjective. This thread might be interesting, though.

Ian
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

henry2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Whether it's a $350.00 letter or a $0.01 letter... it'll make no difference because the lawyer won't be the one making the decision whether or not to let you enter the US. That decision rests solely with the CBP officer... and he isn't going to give a fuzzy rat's ass what the lawyer thinks.

Complete waste of time... and "good" is highly subjective.

Ian
Ok noted.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Ok noted.
Have you been to the U.S before on Visa Waiver? Do you have experience of what it's like when you arrive and the kind of questions they ask?
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
Have you been to the U.S before on Visa Waiver? Do you have experience of what it's like when you arrive and the kind of questions they ask?
Good point. No, what do I have to look forward to?

Edit: I understand they'll ask Business or Pleasure, but that's about it.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:35 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

No, they don't need to ask you that, you have already indicated it on your customs form.

Before I moved over here on an L1a visa and got my Green Card I came frequently on VW, a mix of business and pleasure. The main question I would get is how long my stay is, who I work for, what I would be doing while in the US.

And even if you get lucky, and they don't ask you a lot of questions and turn you away this trip, that's not the end of it. The next time you come back, the officer will scan you passport and see that you were here for a 10 weeks business trip, and may ask you about that.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That might be it, or you might be asked more, or you may be sent to "secondary" (the CBP offices near the immigration desks) further questioning.

Between the cursory "Business or pleasure" and being summarily put back on a plane with negligible questioning, there are almost an infinite shades of grey.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
No, they don't need to ask you that, you have already indicated it on your customs form.

Before I moved over here on an L1a visa and got my Green Card I came frequently on VW, a mix of business and pleasure. The main question I would get is how long my stay is, who I work for, what I would be doing while in the US.

And even if you get lucky, and they don't ask you a lot of questions and turn you away this trip, that's not the end of it. The next time you come back, the officer will scan you passport and see that you were here for a 10 weeks business trip, and may ask you about that.
Thanks for that info.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I will write the letter for $300.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 3:59 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I will write the letter for $300.
sorry I've already undercut you @ $175
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

But I have 4 x as many posts as you but am charging less than twice more!
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:38 pm
Professional Cat herder

ah but by that argument I have 4x more of a life than you and am still charging less per karma unit!
Old Apr 21st 2015, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Do people still use karma?
Old Apr 21st 2015, 5:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do people still use karma?
I do. I probably send a dozen or so each week, and receive 4-6.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I do. I probably send a dozen or so each week, and receive 4-6.
Pretty poor return on investment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.