I-485 / I-130 vs. I-129F HELP

Old May 11th 2002, 10:20 am
Dennisl

Default I-485 / I-130 vs. I-129F HELP

I applied for a K-1 via a I-129F and was told that they needed more proof of meeting.
Frustrated, (as I send numerous digital photos--they must have wanted originals), I
called an immigration attorney and he told me that since my fiance is in Canada and I
am in California, that she did NOT need to immigrate here on a K-1. When I told him
that our goal was to get married ASAP and get her working (she has a job offer
already), he said that we can just get married and apply for an "Adjustment to
Status" via a I-485 / I-130. He said that he could get her a green card in about a
week by standing in line at INS for us. Total cost = $1,500-2,000. That seems
expensive.

Now for the question:

Is the I-485/I-130 the fastest way to get her here and can I do the paperwork easily
myself with INS or do I need the attorney. Also, since I currently have a I-129F in
process, will that present a problem if I decide to move ahead with the I-485 / I-130
application process?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Frustrated in San Diego

Old May 12th 2002, 2:20 am
Crg

Default Re: I-485 / I-130 vs. I-129F HELP

I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately, I am facing the same sort of
situation. My fiance and I would love to be able to marry in Scotland when I go over
for a visit in September, but we aren't clear on how that would work. We originally
planned on me filing for a K-1 for him, but we've heard that if we marry, he can come
here and we can simply file for an AOS, as he would be my spouse. If you hear
anything else as to whether or not this can be accomplished legally and with the
least amount of hassle, please let us know, and I will do likewise!

Good luck and best wishes--we all need it these days!

"dennisl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > I applied for a K-1 via a I-129F and was told that they needed more proof of
    > meeting. Frustrated, (as I send numerous digital photos--they must have wanted
    > originals), I called an immigration attorney and he told me that since my fiance is
    > in Canada and I am in California, that she did NOT need to immigrate here on a K-1.
    > When I told him that our goal was to get married ASAP and get her working (she has
    > a job offer already), he said that we can just get married and apply for an
    > "Adjustment to Status" via a I-485 / I-130. He said that he could get her a green
    > card in about a week by standing in line at INS for us. Total cost = $1,500-2,000.
    > That seems expensive.
    >
    > Now for the question:
    >
    > Is the I-485/I-130 the fastest way to get her here and can I do the paperwork
    > easily myself with INS or do I need the attorney. Also, since I currently have a
    > I-129F in process, will that present a problem if I decide to move ahead with the
    > I-485 / I-130 application process?
    >
    > Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
    >
    > Frustrated in San Diego

Old May 12th 2002, 10:20 pm
Mrs_blackross

Default Re: I-485 / I-130 vs. I-129F HELP

don't pay a lawyer for something like that, unless she has a criminal record or
medical problem. see my timeline below, and then go to the doc steen site
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm and read up on how to do it
the way the lawyer suggested, WITHOUT forking out $2k in lawyer's fees on TOP of the
INS filing fees. adjusting from tourist is not the reccommended way to do it but it
can be done, and it IS legal.

and for the record, there is no WAY a lawyer (or anyone else for that matter) can
legally get her a green card within a week...if that were the case, there would be no
need for EAD's or AP's..and then boards like this wouldn't exist.
--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"dennisl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I applied for a K-1 via a I-129F and was told that they needed more proof
of
    > meeting. Frustrated, (as I send numerous digital photos--they must have wanted
    > originals), I called an immigration attorney and he told me that since my fiance is
    > in Canada and I am in California, that she did NOT need to immigrate here on a K-1.
    > When I told him that our goal was to get married ASAP and get her working (she has
    > a job offer already), he said
that
    > we can just get married and apply for an "Adjustment to Status" via a
I-485
    > / I-130. He said that he could get her a green card in about a week by standing in
    > line at INS for us. Total cost = $1,500-2,000. That seems expensive.
    >
    > Now for the question:
    >
    > Is the I-485/I-130 the fastest way to get her here and can I do the paperwork
    > easily myself with INS or do I need the attorney. Also, since I currently have a
    > I-129F in process, will that present a problem if I
decide
    > to move ahead with the I-485 / I-130 application process?
    >
    > Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
    >
    > Frustrated in San Diego