Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I fly after applying for Citizenship - and is it all worth it re: Taxes

Can I fly after applying for Citizenship - and is it all worth it re: Taxes

Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

britmoving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I fly after applying for Citizenship - and is it all worth it re: Taxes

Hello lovely folks! So I'm in a pickle when it comes to deciding what to do. I've been a green card holder (via marriage) for 7 years now in America. I love America, but with my folks quite sick I know I have to go back for a while to take care of them in England. And by a while, I mean probably 4-5 years.

I've been going back and forth to the UK - although never going over 5 months of stay and I've kept below the time required to qualify for citizenship.

The obvious thought was Yes, go for citizenship but reading all the stories about Americans giving up theirs due to the complicated tax issues has me a bit worried.

My main question: If I apply, can I travel outside of the country straight after, and fly back for the various fingerprints, biometrics etc? Has anyone does this?

My other worry is time... can I afford to wait 6-12 months to get my citizenship and passport if I'm unable to travel during the wait.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I fly after applying for Citizenship - and is it all worth it re: Taxes

You can travel after submitting the N-400. Might be a good idea to wait until after the biometrics appointment, otherwise you'll be returning to the USA about a month later for that.

You must return to the USA for your N-400 interview. You should get an appointment notice about a month before the appointment date.

You can travel yet again using your green card, after the N-400 interview. You can reschedule the oath ceremony if you need to.

At each point, you will be asked to update your time outside the USA. Just make sure none of this added time makes you ineligible at any point.

Once you take the oath, you have to wait to travel until you get your US passport in hand.

It seems the whole citizenship process takes about 6 months total.

As for taxes, it won't impact you any more than when you were a US PR.

Rene
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I fly after applying for Citizenship - and is it all worth it re: Taxes

Originally Posted by britmoving
... reading all the stories about Americans giving up theirs due to the complicated tax issues has me a bit worried.
This is because the US taxes you on your worldwide income. So, even if you live outside the US, you're obligated to file a US tax return and, possibly pay taxes. The only way to avoid being taxed forever is to renounce your US citizenship... but, it's with a true sense of irony, that the US will actually fine you if your reason for renouncing is to avoid paying taxes!

Ian
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I'd add that from what I have read the majority of those US expats giving up citizenship for tax reasons (and making the most noise about it) tend to have rather complex and expensive tax issues. i.e. they are trying to avoid as much tax as possible potentially veering into evasion due to very high salaries.

If you have a "normal" tax situation of average earnings it is quite unlikely to be an issue.

In your situation I'd personally get citizenship and then you can come and go as you please to tend to your parents without fear of losing PR status.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I'd add that from what I have read the majority of those US expats giving up citizenship for tax reasons (and making the most noise about it) tend to have rather complex and expensive tax issues. i.e. they are trying to avoid as much tax as possible potentially veering into evasion due to very high salaries. ......
At the risk of being over-persnickity, I suspect that the complex tax issues are almost always due to investment income, and if the tax issues are related to salary at all, it is the salary paid by a personal investment holding company, not the sort of salary that most people get by virtue of "having a job".

Even executives of major corporations, with 8 or 9 figure salaries, are typically tied to the US because they are required to perform their executive responsibilities in the US and are therefore liable for US income tax whether or not they are US citizens.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
At the risk of being over-persnickity, I suspect that the complex tax issues are almost always due to investment income, and if the tax issues are related to salary at all, it is the salary paid by a personal investment holding company, not the sort of salary that most people get by virtue of "having a job".
Good point, I originally meant to write something like that but it got forgotten during editing.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Ahh thank you all for the replies! Makes sense. I don't have complicated tax affairs but I just thought it sounded awful to have to file in both countries. Good job I don't have much money I suppose!

Really appreciate the help... I will go for it and apply this week and try holding off flying back unless something really urgent happens with the folks.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:26 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

One other slight complication is, once you get your US Citizenship, you are expected to use a US Passport to return to US, so there is a likely delay in travelling abroad of a month or 2, while the passport application is in progress. You won't have the green card anymore.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
One other slight complication is, once you get your US Citizenship, you are expected to use a US Passport to return to US, so there is a likely delay in travelling abroad of a month or 2, while the passport application is in progress. You won't have the green card anymore.
You can pay to courier and expedite a U.S. PP...hubby did it but I can't remember how long it took. We took the application to the county courthouse in the nearest town...it was expedited from there.

Get a Passport in a Hurry

Also...although an USC should use an U.S. PP to exit the U.S...at a push a UK PP could be used. The U.S. PP could then be forwarded to a UK address for the return journey to the U.S.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 15th 2015 at 12:57 am.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
"A month or two" is a bit pessimist. Both I, and later Mrs P's renewal and little Miss P's first passport all took less than two weeks.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:16 am
Just Joined

That's good. I expect to have to expedite the passport bit... so much to do! Now I just need to learn those 100 citizenship questions :O
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"A month or two" is a bit pessimist. Both I, and later Mrs P's renewal and little Miss P's first passport all took less than two weeks.
I believe mine took 4 weeks, no rush option. I was told at the oath ceremony that it could be done in about a week if you go to the main office - in Miami for me. (in Jerseygirl's link). This was 18 months ago.

Btw from sending in N400 to Oath ceremony was 4 months. And there was a government shut down in that time.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britmoving
That's good. I expect to have to expedite the passport bit... so much to do! Now I just need to learn those 100 citizenship questions :O
I had my oath ceremony on a Thursday, I applied for my US passport at a passport office, in either Burlington or Montpelier VT the following day. My new passport arrived by mail on Monday. I am almost certain I had to make an appt for the passport office.

I also rescheduled my oath ceremony once because of my fathers illness in the UK. I mailed my N400 Dec 20, biometrics in Feb, interview April 4. First oath ceremony scheduled for June or July. Rescheduled for Sept 11. The entire process would have been around six months if I hadn't rescheduled my oath ceremony.

Last edited by DebzinUS; Jul 15th 2015 at 2:28 am.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Depending where the OP lives...the interview and oath ceremony may be on the same day...ours was.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Wow! That would be great if it was all the same day.

I'm hoping for 6 months-ish.. ideally by Christmas, but not expecting that. Be lovely if possible!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.