Can I apply?

Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I apply?

Originally Posted by figthefox
I should say that I arrived in the US in 2012 and had to wait two years to apply for my green card which I’ve had since the beginning of 2015. .....
Ian would have said "to get good information you have to give good information."

You can apply for citizenship 90 days before the third anniversary of you receiving your green card. If you know the date it was issued, count back 90 days, so if "the beginning of 2015" was during the first three weeks of January 2015 then you are already in the window when you are allowed to file.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

figthefox is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Rete I’m not explaining myself very well. We did everything by the book with regards to the VISA. I had the conditional green card for two years and then applied for my permanent resident status.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 8:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the explanation. Then you have had your green card since 2012. The conditional permanent resident's green card is still a green card and those two years count towards your eligibility for naturalization (3 yrs based on marriage to a USC).
Old Oct 28th 2017, 8:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Rete I’m not explaining myself very well. We did everything by the book with regards to the VISA. I had the conditional green card for two years and then applied for my permanent resident status.
Your time as a conditional resident still counts, so you are beyond eligible now. Yes, you can apply.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2017, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

figthefox is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help! I will get on with it!
Old Oct 29th 2017, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You said you had to "wait two years for your green card". Are you now saying that those two years were when you had a conditional green card? .... If that is what you meant then you really are confused!

Everyone in the world either "has a green card" or they "don't have a green card". Someone who has a conditional green card is in the former category.

As Noorah said above, time when you had a conditional green card counts as time when you had a green card.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 29th 2017 at 2:39 am.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 11:34 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at your green card and find the "resident since..." date.

If you are married to a USC and have been married to the same USC for at least 3 years, add three years to your "resident since" date.

If you are not married to a USC or have not been married to the same USC for 3 years yet, add 5 years to the "resident since" date.

The result of either of the above is the date you are eligible. You can start the process 90 days before that date.