Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Business Visa Options - Anything suitable?

Business Visa Options - Anything suitable?

Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

GodBeldof is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Business Visa Options - Anything suitable?

Hi,

Hoping I can grab some advice here to see if it's worth looking at this more formally.

In short, I'm a part owner of a limited company which runs a number of media websites. Currently we're based in the UK.

There may well be a new EU law on the horizon which could potentially damage our business. I know the UK is leaving, but this law could be passed before then.

We're currently thinking about plans in the event the law does go through and relocating the business to another country is something we're considering. If possible, the US would then be a strong contender.

Are there any visas which would fit the bill? We'd basically want to relocate our business, winding down our operations in the UK. Would acquiring an existing US company - we would move the affected part of our business over - come with a particular visa?

I should note myself and my business partner would bring our families over with us.

Any advice much appreciated!
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Visa Options - Anything suitable?

L-1A if you retain the UK business as a going concern with local manager, E-2 would be the cheapest alternative if you fold the UK business, assuming you're British or from another country with a trade treaty. Or self-directed EB-5 if you're investing $1,000,000 (or half that in an area needing economic stimulus), assuming you will be generating some local jobs/employment opportunities for US citizens/legal residents.

Only the EB-5 leads to permanent residence and potentially citizenship.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business Visa Options - Anything suitable?

Originally Posted by GodBeldof
Are there any visas which would fit the bill?
An L-1 visa would be perfect for opening up a new branch of your existing business and transferring yourselves to the US... but the UK business must stay in operation. An E-2 visa would also work if you didn't want to maintain the UK business. The E-2 would not lead to any of you getting green cards and being allowed to stay permanently in the US, but the L-1 would.

Or, as Pulaski notes, if you have money to burn, an EB-5 is pretty much the equivalent of buying yourselves green cards!

Ian