Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British citizen with full US SSN card

British citizen with full US SSN card

Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

jamie.ppb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen with full US SSN card

Hello,

Long story short... I'm a UK passport holder but I also have a US SSN card with no apparent rescrictions.

I'll tell you how this came about.... In the mid 80's my parents moved the family to Houston where we lived for around 3 years. My father worked in the oil & gas industry. I was 8-11 years old and went to the local school as normal.

From what I can remember we had no intention of returning to the UK but ill health on my mothers family side meant we had to leave the US.

My question is... Based on my SSN card status, can I return to the USA and work without restriction based on being accepted as a permanent resident back in the 1980's?

Thank you in advance.

James
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:14 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen with full US SSN card

A SSN is like a NiNo here. Nothing to do with immigration.

If you are not a permenant resident and dont have a visa that allows you to work then no you cannot go to the USA and work.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamie.ppb
My question is... Based on my SSN card status, can I return to the USA and work without restriction based on being accepted as a permanent resident back in the 1980's?
Even if you had become a permanent resident (i.e., had a green card), that status would be long abandoned by now.

Having a SSN does nothing for you in terms of getting a work visa to the USA. The only thing it does is save you the step of having to get a SSN if you do indeed end up working in the USA somehow.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 6th 2018 at 6:40 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
.... If you are not a permenant resident and dont have a visa that allows you to work then no you cannot go to the USA and work.
Or a US citizen.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

jamie.ppb is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the swift responses. Not the news I'd hoped for but 'hey ho' life goes on in old blighty!