Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit to USA (VISA Options)

$250k?

Seriously?
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:36 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
$250k?

Seriously?
You'd have to pay me a lot more than that to bring three kids here! 😀

We have a combined income of just over $100k for 2 adults with no pets. It's comfortable. Adding three kids and private tuition into the mix and I could see that more than doubling.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You'd have to pay me a lot more than that to bring three kids here! 😀

We have a combined income of just over $100k for 2 adults with no pets. It's comfortable. Adding three kids and private tuition into the mix and I could see that more than doubling.
I have posted draft budgets a number of times, reaching the conclusion that, for much of the US (not NY, SF, DC maybe Boston), that $100k per annum income would he a reasonable starting point for a family of four with two average vehicles, say sedan plus MV/SUV, and public schools. .... And been criticized by some for saying that is too much.

Conversely I have argued that for a family of four, that $60k per annum is near the lower end of what is reasonable, and again been "reminded" by someone, that many American families get by on much less. I still believe that with established family support network and established friend ls and neighbours, you can get by on less more easily than if you just arrive from overseas and land in the 'burbs. .... Which is why I said earlier in this thread that nobody is going to believe that a family of five is going to live on $3k/mth.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I'd include LA in that too, Pulaski, from experience, unless commuting 3 hours a day is acceptable.

$250k is definitely a bit OTT, but indeed $36k is equally silly.