Brit to USA (VISA Options)

Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit to USA (VISA Options)

Yes, the better options are F-1, J-1, or R visa, as someone above mentioned.

Or perhaps there is no visa available for what you want to do.

I dont know if the kids are allowed to study on a B visa.

Rene
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't an R1 fit you and your plans better?

I wonder if you have realistically assessed the cost of your plans. Travel/housing/health insurance for five, possible education costs and general living costs will be substantial. You say that you will be supported by the church in the UK but also say that it is a small church plant from the US. Are they realistic about the total cost and can they provide the necessary evidence that you will be fully supported?

There are potential tax implications also as Pulaski points out in #9.

Not at all wishing to be negative, but there are some hurdles that need to be jumped.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Mercyknight is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, the better options are F-1, J-1, or R visa, as someone above mentioned.

Or perhaps there is no visa available for what you want to do.

I dont know if the kids are allowed to study on a B visa.

Rene
Thank you for all your help, I've spoken to an immigration lawyer, and they're saying the same thing.

In regards to school, you have to apply for H-4 for the kids, and you have to reimburse the public school for their tuition.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... I dont know if the kids are allowed to study on a B visa. .....
Children "living" in the US are required to be educated, they don't even need to be in the country legally for school/ education to be mandatory.
Originally Posted by Mercyknight
....In regards to school, you have to apply for H-4 for the kids, and you have to reimburse the public school for their tuition.
An H-4 is derivative of an H-1, so doesn't apply to what you are considering. If your lawyer suggested that, you should find another lawyer!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 30th 2017 at 2:00 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Doesn't an R1 fit you and your plans better?

I wonder if you have realistically assessed the cost of your plans. Travel/housing/health insurance for five, possible education costs and general living costs will be substantial. You say that you will be supported by the church in the UK but also say that it is a small church plant from the US. Are they realistic about the total cost and can they provide the necessary evidence that you will be fully supported?

There are potential tax implications also as Pulaski points out in #9.

Not at all wishing to be negative, but there are some hurdles that need to be jumped.
Yes, I just need to hope I can persuade them to issue an R1 visa! Yes I'll be receiving $3000 in monthly support and we'll have £15000 to help with the costs of moving.

However this is all dependent on the right visa being acquired
Old Aug 30th 2017, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Yes I'll be receiving $3000 in monthly support ....
For a family of five that is borderline poverty income (which is a very low bar in the US), even in a very low cost area unless you are also being provided with housing and use of a car.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Children "living" in the US are required to be educated, they don't even need to be in the country legally for school/ education to be mandatory.

An H-4 is derivative of an H-1, so doesn't apply to what you are considering. If your lawyer suggested that, you should find another lawyer!
The lawyer didn't suggest H-4, sorry that was me reading another forum.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So do they provide housing and transport? Where would this be?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is an option in the application form to book the same interview slot with a group/party/family you're travelling with.
The interview - yes... you can all be together. However you'll have 5 separate visa applications and a fee for each.

I'm also a qualified teacher...
You're likely not qualified to teach in the US.

... was thinking of homeschooling them, or paying for private tuition.
Private tuition is likely to be very expensive. Home schooling is possible, but for most states, you must first get permission of the local school board - because they are still responsible for reporting the children's progress.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.... Private tuition is likely to be very expensive. .....
Private education in a church-linked school in a rural/semi-rursl area that meets the minimum requirements for education is available for just a few thousand dollars a year - certainly under $5,000. The educational provision may be fairly rudimentary.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 5:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note:
Schools are not allowed to deny access based on immigration status. So theoretically, the OP's children could go to school on a B visa.
They would need to satisfy residency requirements within the school district's boundaries. Plenty of undocumented kids go to school, they just hit problems with financing if they want to go to college.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

My children will be offered a scholarship by a private christian school.

Does this mean, if I apply for my kids to be on a B visa, they're not in breach of their conditions because it's a "private" school? Or as soon as we get there should we simply change their visas over to the student ones?

FYI, just to tell you where I'm landing with my decisions. I'm aware it's a long shot, but I actually have had a Scottish friend in exactly the same situation and they allowed him to do what I'm planning (I know it's all down to the border guards too)

I'm planning on applying for B2 for my family (individually) it comes in at around £600 and being very clear and honest during the interview.

I'm aware of the pitfalls, but for just as many negative responses I've seen, I've also found lots of positive outcomes.

I do have a couple more questions:

1) Will they check that we can support ourselves?

The reason I ask that question is because we're about to get a £25k windfall, and I'm tempted to wait for that to come through. I do have 4 credit cards with a total of £5000 credit available on them (not used) would that help our case?

2) What are the turn around times for B2?

What do you guys think? Grateful for your responses by the way...
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:00 pm

My children will be offered a scholarship by a private christian school.

Does this mean, if I apply for my kids to be on a B visa, they're not in breach of their conditions because it's a "private" school? Or as soon as we get there should we simply change their visas over to the student ones?

FYI, just to tell you where I'm landing with my decisions. I'm aware it's a long shot, but I actually have had a Scottish friend in exactly the same situation and they allowed him to do what I'm planning (I know it's all down to the border guards too)

I'm planning on applying for B2 for my family (individually) it comes in at around £600 and being very clear and honest during the interview.

I'm aware of the pitfalls, but for just as many negative responses I've seen, I've also found lots of positive outcomes.

I do have a couple more questions:

The reason I ask that question is because we're about to get a £25k windfall, and I'm tempted to wait for that to come through. I do have 4 credit cards with a total of £5000 credit available on them (not used) would that help our case?

2) What are the turn around times for B2?

What do you guys think? Grateful for your responses by the way...
I think you have ignored most of the advice you've been given and what you are planning to do re obtaining visas is likely to reduce the likelihood of them being issued. .... And as you are VWP eligible, and not retired, a B-2 is already a long shot for you.

BTW What sort of school you send your children to has no bearing on whether they should be in the US, attending school on a B-2 visa.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Clearly you've not read my response.

1) Acknowledged it was a long shot having read everyone's comments
2) Nobody has said it's impossible

Like I said, I've seen just as many positive outcomes with similar situations.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Here's from the London Embassy website:

Note: The decision to approve or deny your application will be based on the interview and information provided orally. However, the consular officer may ask for documentary evidence of the following:

Funds sufficient to cover all expenses while in the United States;
A residence abroad to which you intend to return.

Given that you plan to go as a family of five for an extended period I think it is highly likely that you will be asked to provide proof of funds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.