Birth Certificate ever needed?

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Leander is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Birth Certificate ever needed?

My wife is a USC and I am about to send off my I-485.
Because of a long and unhappy family backstory she refused to use the family name on the birth certificate when she was a teenager. Instead she used her stepfather's last name which somehow ended up in her passport (which shows no trace of her birth name) and since then on every paper that has her name on it. This change from one name to another just happened, without any official process, any court involvement, any paper trail. The absolute only record that shows she ever had another name is her birth certificate.
Now I am sitting here over the forms and stare at the field "Other names used (including maiden name):". Because of the missing documentation of the name change I am hesitant to put down my wife's birthname because that would probably cause a lot of problems with immigration. Are they ever going to want to see her birth certificate or are we going to be okay just sending a copy of her passport? The way I understand the instructions is that a copy of the passport will do for now. But even if that is so: are we going to be asked to bring a birth certificate to any of the interviews at any point?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Certificate ever needed?

Originally Posted by Leander
My wife is a USC and I am about to send off my I-485.
Because of a long and unhappy family backstory she refused to use the family name on the birth certificate when she was a teenager. Instead she used her stepfather's last name which somehow ended up in her passport (which shows no trace of her birth name) and since then on every paper that has her name on it. This change from one name to another just happened, without any official process, any court involvement, any paper trail. The absolute only record that shows she ever had another name is her birth certificate.
Now I am sitting here over the forms and stare at the field "Other names used (including maiden name):". Because of the missing documentation of the name change I am hesitant to put down my wife's birthname because that would probably cause a lot of problems with immigration. Are they ever going to want to see her birth certificate or are we going to be okay just sending a copy of her passport? The way I understand the instructions is that a copy of the passport will do for now. But even if that is so: are we going to be asked to bring a birth certificate to any of the interviews at any point?
Her real name is the one she was born with and is her maiden name. The casual adoption of her stepfather's name should be listed under "other names used/known by". Do not leave out this information. To do so, could invalidate your application for adjustment of status.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Certificate ever needed?

Originally Posted by Rete
Her real name is the one she was born with and is her maiden name. The casual adoption of her stepfather's name should be listed under "other names used/known by". Do not leave out this information. To do so, could invalidate your application for adjustment of status.
I have a USC friend who had a similar situation. Her family birth name was not one she used all her life, because when she was an infant, her mother divorced and remarried, and then used the step-father's name on all my friends records thereafter. My friend also got married and divorced, and filed the immigration paperwork in her married name. So my friend had a few name discrepancies. She received an RFE (Request for Further Evidence) regarding this, and simply wrote a letter explaining the history of her names, and it was accepted by USCIS at the I-129F fiance visa petition stage.

Best Wishes,
Rene