B2 visa and volounteer work..

Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:57 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light
Default B2 visa and volounteer work..

Hi there,

My partner is going to apply for her B2 as my cohabiting partner soon, obviously she won't be allowed to work, however we both want to do some volountary work with the Humane Society and with the local gay community as it will be a good way to meet new people, and for my partner it will be a good way for her to keep busy, as she will be on a B2 will this be ok?

I'm sure when she goes for her interview they will ask her how she plans to spend her time, and I'd hate to not have double checked that it was ok first, it's a tricky enough situation as it is.

thanks peeps
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 visa and volounteer work..

Originally Posted by Meryl
Hi there,

My partner is going to apply for her B2 as my cohabiting partner soon, obviously she won't be allowed to work, however we both want to do some volountary work with the Humane Society and with the local gay community as it will be a good way to meet new people, and for my partner it will be a good way for her to keep busy, as she will be on a B2 will this be ok?

I'm sure when she goes for her interview they will ask her how she plans to spend her time, and I'd hate to not have double checked that it was ok first, it's a tricky enough situation as it is.

thanks peeps
The visa I'm on means I can only volunteer. As long as she will be not be receiving ANY compensation and as long as she isn't doing anything that someone else would be paid to do then she should be fine, but I'm no authority on this, so I'm sure someone else will come along soon with more experience than myself.
I also wouldn't mention it at the interview unless asked
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

triptastic is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

thanks peeps
Meryl,

My partner recently obtained a B2 visa for cohabiting purposes. All she was asked is:
- How long have you been a couple?
- Do you live together?

No proof of our relationship was requested. On the visa page of her passport it states the purpose of travel as "To accompany L-1B partner triptastic" then my petition code.

Hope this information is useful
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:20 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by triptastic
Meryl,

My partner recently obtained a B2 visa for cohabiting purposes. All she was asked is:
- How long have you been a couple?
- Do you live together?

No proof of our relationship was requested. On the visa page of her passport it states the purpose of travel as "To accompany L-1B partner triptastic" then my petition code.

Hope this information is useful
That's great it was so easy for you, it gives me alot of hope
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triptastic
On the visa page of her passport it states the purpose of travel as "To accompany L-1B partner triptastic" then my petition code.
Are you in the US yet? If not, be absolutely certain that you mention to the IO that she is entering as a B-2 cohabiting partner, and not a regular B-2 visitor.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 visa and volunteer work..

I wouldn't say "voluntary work" with the Humane Society, but it should be fine depending on what you are doing. Eg. While on B2 I volunteered as a "cat cuddler" and foster mum, neither of which are paid positions. I don't know that I could have worked the reception desk, because they do usually pay someone to do that.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

emartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of lightemartin is a glorious beacon of light

we both want to do some volountary work with the Humane Society and with the local gay community as it will be a good way to meet new people, and for my partner it will be a good way for her to keep busy, as she will be on a B2 will this be ok?
You've got good information from the other posters. One other point I would mention is that your partner cannot volunteer where she would be receiving a benefit, even if not financial. This includes not getting a vocational benefit, e.g. she could not do an unpaid internship in her professional field.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 10:48 pm
Dallas

Originally Posted by emartin
You've got good information from the other posters. One other point I would mention is that your partner cannot volunteer where she would be receiving a benefit, even if not financial. This includes not getting a vocational benefit, e.g. she could not do an unpaid internship in her professional field.
That's more or less as I thought, she would basically be cleaning out cages and taking dogs for walks, just enough to keep herself occupied for a few hours a week, we're both being as careful as we can, as obviously we want to keep inside the law.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

triptastic is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Are you in the US yet? If not, be absolutely certain that you mention to the IO that she is entering as a B-2 cohabiting partner, and not a regular B-2 visitor.

Ian
Thanks for the advice. We are not in the US yet, so will make a note of this for when we depart.