B2 visa extension

Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Rachelward0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 visa extension

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help.
I have been in the USA 4 months as I have a b2 visa and planned on staying for the full 6 months (have enough money saved etc). Now I read somewhere that you are able to ask for an extension of the b2 visa, I wanted to add on another 3 months, reason bein is that my boyfriend here has a court date and I wanted to act as a witness, which isn't until end of February. Does anyone have experience in extensions and if it's a difficult process?

Many thanks
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 visa extension

Google is your friend.

Extend Your Stay. If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires.

What is the expiration date on the I-94 in your passport?

Please read this site carefully. https://www.path2usa.com/usa-visitor-visa-extension There are serious ramifications if your extension is denied

Last edited by Rete; Oct 25th 2017 at 10:01 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Ok I did read up on it, I'm just not sure how easy/difficult it is to get an extension. I can stay up until 20th December.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 10:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Like all things dealing with the USCIS or its branches, nothing is an absolute. Won't know if it will be granted unless you try. Unless you are called as a material witness in the trial, you can still leave by the 20th of December to ensure remaining in status on the original I-94.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:02 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The application can take months to process. Be advised that if the extension request is denied and you remained longer than the original authorized period of stay then the visa may be considered void and no longer valid for entry per 222(g). You'd have to replace it in your home country prior to seeking entry again.

STATE 051296

Alien admitted until specified date, applies in timely fashion for extension or change of status, remain in U.S. after date on I-94 expires and application is subsequently denied: subject to 222(g)
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Agree crg
Extensions can take months, not 3, more like > 7
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

How did you get a b2 visa in the first place?

Are you not eligible for the VWP?
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

So I had a previous b2 denied years ago stupidly applied for one with not understanding vwp, so I've had esta denials since and then got granted a b2 a couple of years ago. I don't want to run the risk of losing the visa I currently have, and if they reply after months then would that count as an overstay if I only have 5weeks until the end of my 1-94? And does anyone know if it's easy or not to get an acceptance. I know for example not to apply for a b2 if u can travel on vwp so I thought people here could advise on whether it's a good or bad idea to even apply for an extension. Thanks again
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelward0
if they reply after months then would that count as an overstay if I only have 5weeks until the end of my 1-94?
My understanding is "yes".

And does anyone know if it's easy or not to get an acceptance.
My understanding is "not easy".

No personal experience, though.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2017, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

I would say bad idea to go the extension route.
-I have no first hand experience, but why risk it.

Think from the person making the decision, how can they possibly stay here 6 months and then possibly more without earning.
Leave before your I94 expires and you are best not attempting a return until you have been out at least the time you have been in
You also do not want the IRS after you
Old Oct 27th 2017, 12:00 am
Concierge

Why not just take the easiest route and leave on time and return to the US at the time of the trial to be a witness. If that is not feasible go to his attorney's office and have a deposition taken of your testimony to be introduced at the trial as evidence. You are then in the clear on the visa route and live to come back to the US without hinderance.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelward0
So I had a previous b2 denied years ago stupidly applied for one with not understanding vwp, so I've had esta denials since and then got granted a b2 a couple of years ago. I don't want to run the risk of losing the visa I currently have, and if they reply after months then would that count as an overstay if I only have 5weeks until the end of my 1-94? And does anyone know if it's easy or not to get an acceptance. I know for example not to apply for a b2 if u can travel on vwp so I thought people here could advise on whether it's a good or bad idea to even apply for an extension. Thanks again
Unless you have a valid reason then you should not extend your B2. My husband did a change of status using the I-539, so not the same thing but along similar lines, making a case to stay and showing evidence of why the need to stay. Note it should be a "need" not a "want". IMO you do not have a valid reason.

Having said that you can submit it and then by the time it is processed, the court case will have come and gone so you could stay until a decision is made on the extension but if the decision is no then, as others have made, you've lost the visa. Depends on your risk tolerance (and future plans).
Old Oct 27th 2017, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Ok thank u for all the helpful advice I really appreciate it. It's a small claims court of 10,000 so attourneys aren't actually involved, but me speaking would be quite crucial. Because I've already been here for so long, I'm not sure if I'm out for a few weeks for example if I went to Canada or something or even the UK and then travelled back before the case went to court that would be long enough out of the county (will only be 2 months) when I've been here will be 6 months).