Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:13 am
Just Joined

rayzay28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

Hello All,

Have been looking through these forums for the past few days trying to get some conclusive answers to queries I had regarding the visa application process. I have read up on most of the general info however was wondering for some help with a few questions.

Does the wait time for AP at all depend on what type of visa you apply for? I've applied for a B2 visa and would imagine since it is just a 6 month approval, it could take less time than someone applying for say an H1-B.

Is there any sure answer of whether traveling to the US under VWP resets your AP process? Can you travel to other countries?

I know this is a DC problem not an Embassy problem so are there avenues of following up with any particular agencies which could help speed up this process? I have heard mixed things

Full disclosure: I am a British Citizen of Pakistani origin (and have a Pakistani name). I pursued higher education at a prestigious US university (graduating in 2011) and wanted to visit the US to assess a potential angel investment opportunity. The realm of activities I would be doing while in the US were also covered under the VWP however, there was a possibility I would have to be in the US for longer than 90 days so I applied for a B2 visa to be safe. I was thinking I could travel to the US for now and return in a month or two if the process is still ongoing but am scared to do so if it will reset my AP. I had my interview with the US Embassy in London on the 14th of January. The lady who interviewed me only asked the reason of my visit and then told me she would approve my visa but it could take "a few weeks". I wasn't sure if this was just generic terminology she says to everyone who undergoes AP (even those who have to wait months or years), or if she actually meant my case.

Thoughts?

Would really appreciate constructive and helpful comments. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Best,
R
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:48 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

It takes as long as it takes, I dont think it has any bearing what type of visa you are applying for. At the end of the day they are conducting checks to stop potential threats entering the country - how long those checks take and how much it might inconviance they subject is of little concern when ensuring national security!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rayzay28
Does the wait time for AP at all depend on what type of visa you apply for?
No.

Is there any sure answer of whether traveling to the US under VWP resets your AP process?
No.

Can you travel to other countries?
Yes - but depending on which countries you visit, you might re-trigger a new AP process.

I know this is a DC problem not an Embassy problem so are there avenues of following up with any particular agencies which could help speed up this process?
No. There is no way to speed up the process; there is no way to find out where you are in the process; and there is no way to find out how much longer it will take.

I have heard mixed things
Those who suggested it was possible... well, they lied to you.

Thoughts?
For the US, this is a matter of national security. They are unconcerned with how long it takes or how inconvenient it is for you.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, not to my knowledge.

Is there any sure answer of whether traveling to the US under VWP resets your AP process?
No, there's no sure answer.

Can you travel to other countries?
Yes, you can travel to other countries. Whether that affects your current AP process, is unknown.

I know this is a DC problem not an Embassy problem so are there avenues of following up with any particular agencies which could help speed up this process?
No. You cannot follow up; it will take as long as it takes.

The lady who interviewed me only asked the reason of my visit and then told me she would approve my visa but it could take "a few weeks". I wasn't sure if this was just generic terminology she says to everyone who undergoes AP (even those who have to wait months or years), or if she actually meant my case.
It was generic. AP can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to a year or more.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thoughts?
You opened the box. It's out of your control now.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

One suspects that ESTA will not be approved while a file is open for AP. You won't be traveling to the States at all until it is resolved.

It will take however long it takes to make sure you aren't a terrorist with the same name or whatever.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No. The time the AP takes depends on the issue(s) being investigated and degree of difficulty finding the information required to resolve the issue(s).
No, there is never a "sure answer".
Is there any sure answer of whether traveling to the US under VWP resets your AP process? Can you travel to other countries?
What do you mean "DC problem"? Whatever, there is no "following up" or finding status other than 2 possibilities - onging or completed.
I know this is a DC problem not an Embassy problem so are there avenues of following up with any particular agencies which could help speed up this process? I have heard mixed things
Regards, JEff
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

marbella-james is an unknown quantity at this point

Whilst i agree with 99% of what everyone else has said you can actually check on the status of your AP by calling the state dept. in Washington. +1-202-663-1225 option 1/3/9/0 you will be asked for your file number or passport number.
With AP, there is alot of waiting to be done but generally if its a flat denial you would know pretty quick.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

also i just wanted to add that the process can be helped by speaking to the "right people".
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marbella-james
Whilst i agree with 99% of what everyone else has said you can actually check on the status of your AP by calling the state dept. in Washington. +1-202-663-1225 option 1/3/9/0 you will be asked for your file number or passport number.
Sure, you can check. But the only answer you'll ever get is "it's processing", until one day they tell you "it's done processing". I mean, you can't check on any progress being made, i.e. where you are specifically in the process or how much longer it will take.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:52 pm

also i just wanted to add that the process can be helped by speaking to the "right people".
And who would the right people be? It would be helpful to know.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Sure, you can check. But the only answer you'll ever get is "it's processing", until one day they tell you "it's done processing". I mean, you can't check on any progress being made, i.e. where you are specifically in the process or how much longer it will take.

Rene
Ive spoken with them a few times and depending on where your file is the process they will tell you a certain amount-i found out that mine was back from ARO and just sitting at the embassy in Madrid(the embassy here dont really keep you informed of anything).
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ive spoken with them a few times...
Who is "them"? If you want to be secretive... fine. But if you're going to announce that you can speak to the "right people", then please articulate who those "right people" are. Otherwise, people might just get the idea that you're bragging about knowing something they don't... and isn't that just too bad for them!

i found out that mine was back from ARO and just sitting at the embassy in Madrid(the embassy here dont really keep you informed of anything).
As a practical matter though, how does that information help you? You still don't know if the process is complete or not; you don't know whether things went well or not; you don't know if it's sitting in the approve pile or the reject pile... should I go on?

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Who is "them"? If you want to be secretive... fine. But if you're going to announce that you can speak to the "right people", then please articulate who those "right people" are. Otherwise, people might just get the idea that you're bragging about knowing something they don't... and isn't that just too bad for them!

As a practical matter though, how does that information help you? You still don't know if the process is complete or not; you don't know whether things went well or not; you don't know if it's sitting in the approve pile or the reject pile... should I go on?

Ian
Hi Ian,

When i say 'them' i am of course referring to the state dept in Washington as per my previous comments. and in no way am boasting as that serves no one.

Sorry to say that you are wrong; I have found out that my file has is still open, not rejected, ARO have finished there side of things and i am now sending my passport back to the embassy-all this without waiting for the embassy to contact me as they are slow to do anything.

Persistence is key.

Granted, every region is going to be different but that doesnt stop someone taking the initiative to call up. Maybe i'm different in the sense that i'll always seek out exactly what im looking for rather than to wait just because i was told to. As you know i live in Spain so some of the people in CBP/DHS/State that i got in touch with wont be able to help those applying in say London.

For example, CBP in Rome has jurisdiction over quite few countries in Europe incl Spain when it comes to certain issues on visas. Yes, visas are generally a State dept issue but they all communicate with each other.

A very tool ive found is LinkedIn-most embassy staff are listed on there for each region. Anyone that works or has worked in a sales environment, this would be second nature to network and to find the relevant person.

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 30th 2013 at 2:59 pm. Reason: fixed quotes
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:08 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

A person who is waiting for AP is considered to have been denied a visa unless and until they are issued the visa. All applications are recorded as issued or refused within a business day. There is no such thing as a pending visa application.

Visa denials must be disclosed on the ESTA application and/or the VWP Form I-94W.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.