Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 cohabiting visa and other options for long term girlfriend of a J1 holder

B2 cohabiting visa and other options for long term girlfriend of a J1 holder

Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Lorneo1067 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B2 cohabiting visa and other options for long term girlfriend of a J1 holder

Just to add guys mine is a J1 INTERN/TRAINEE VISA (18 months). Don't know if that makes any difference?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: B2 cohabiting visa and other options for long term girlfriend of a J1 holder

Eligibility for a J-2 Visa depends on the specific exchange program being offered to the J-1 non-immigrant by a sponsor organizations. The exchange categories of au pair, camp counselor, secondary school student and summer work travel do not permit J-2 Visas. In addition, although some categories allow for spouses and/or dependents to accompany a J-1 Visa holder, there are specific programs that do not.

https://j1visa.state.gov/basics/j2-visa/

This is written on official USA Visa website
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorneo1067
Just to add guys mine is a J1 INTERN/TRAINEE VISA (18 months). Don't know if that makes any difference?
It should make no difference. A J-1 is a J-1... regardless of purpose.

This is written on official USA Visa website
You should never assume that a web site, even an official one, correctly interprets the actual law. You'd be surprised by the number of errors we regularly find on official US immigration web sites.

For example: the reason that some people can't get a J-2 visa is because a child might not be allowed to get one, whereas a spouse would. Both would get a J-2 visa. For a spouse, I doubt it makes a difference.

Ian
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. Im hoping that she will still be able to get her J2 Visa, he's made me really worried with what he said. Iv emailed the company that is doing my Visa and asked them about the J2, so hoping for good news back. If I don't hear back soon ill give them a call tonight.

Thanks
Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Iv emailed the company that is doing my Visa and asked them about the J2, so hoping for good news back.
I'm not sure what good calling them will do. The J-2 is a derivative visa... so all she needs is a copy of your valid J-1 visa and a copy of the marriage certificate. This has nothing to do with the company... they're not sponsoring her J-2 visa... indeed, they're not involved with that at all.

Ian
Old Feb 9th 2017, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys to give you an update and another question..

After I told my employer that I would like to bring my girlfriend a long and it looked like the J2 Visa would work for my girlfriend after I convinced the employer that the sponsor company supported it. They have now came out with another idea of offering my girlfriend a job in a small shop they own. Which is quite nice for them to offer however they said she would have to get J1 Summer Visa. After that is over they would evaluate the situation potentially offering her the position or her returning on a J2 on my J1 Visa. Does anyone know the requirements for a J1 Summer visa? As from what Iv read online she needs to be in studies? At the moment she has a job in Real estate but has already graduated high school/A levels and a small college course. (Not university)
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old Feb 9th 2017, 11:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Your girlfriend wouldn't be able to get a J-2 anyway...you need to be married for that. And, once married, the company has no involvement in obtaining her J-2, so I don't know what they mean by "they support her J-2".

Trying to get a J-1 for her seems like a much more complicated route to me. I suggest getting married and getting the J-2.

Rene
Old Feb 9th 2017, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

After I told my employer that I would like to bring my girlfriend a long and it looked like the J2 Visa would work for my girlfriend after I convinced the employer that the sponsor company supported it.
To clarify, she can only get a J-2 if you two get married. If you do get married, then neither the company nor the sponsor has anything whatsoever to do with her visa. Once you are married, neither the company nor the sponsor has any control over whether or not she gets a J-2 visa. That is entirely her decision... not theirs - and whether or not they support it is completely irrelevant. She must apply for the visa on her own.

Ian
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi guys to give you an update. Me and my girlfriend are applying for J1 Camp counsler visa which seems like we would make the requirements easy and my employer seem to say they are quite loose on giving this visa as it is only for 4 months. We then would return on a J1 Visa 18 months if we enjoy the place and job. However I'm starting to have some worries about my police background check, around 4 years ago I got caught shoplifting (very stupid I know but was young and foolish) for this I received a fine and was told it would not be in my record and would never have to declare that Iv been arrested. The required check I have to do is an acro police background check. I have done many enhanced CRB checks in the past as my job requires one from the disclosure and barring service which is government official. I did one in September 2016 and had nothing recorded ( will send pic in next message) however I'm worried about this acro police background check as it's different? Should I be worried? Any other information will be helpful thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Couldn't seem to send picture.

Police Records Of Convictions, Cautions, Reprimands and Warnings

NONE RECORDED

Information from the list held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002

NONE RECORDED

DBS Childrens Barred List Information

NONE RECORDED

DBS Adults Barred List Information

NOT REQUESTED

Other Relevant Information disclosed at the Chief Police Officer(s) discretion

NONE RECORDED
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

I received a fine and was told it would not be in my record and would never have to declare that Iv been arrested.
That may be true as far as the UK is concerned... but you're not dealing with the UK when you apply for a US visa.

I'm worried about this acro police background check as it's different? Should I be worried?
Regardless of what the ACRO certificate shows, you are obligated to disclose the details of the arrest and conviction.

Ian
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys to give you an update. Me and my girlfriend are applying for J1 Camp counsler visa which seems like we would make the requirements easy and my employer seem to say they are quite loose on giving this visa as it is only for 4 months. We then would return on a J1 Visa 18 months if we enjoy the place and job. However I'm starting to have some worries about my police background check, around 4 years ago I got caught shoplifting (very stupid I know but was young and foolish) for this I received a fine and was told it would not be in my record and would never have to declare that Iv been arrested. The required check I have to do is an acro police background check. I have done many enhanced CRB checks in the past as my job requires one from the disclosure and barring service which is government official. I did one in September 2016 and had nothing recorded ( will send pic in next message) however I'm worried about this acro police background check as it's different? Should I be worried? Any other information will be helpful thanks
What were the circumstances regarding the shoplifting - how old were you at the time and did the police actually place you under arrest?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
What were the circumstances regarding the shoplifting - how old were you at the time and did the police actually place you under arrest?
Was 18-19 at the time but was under arrest, didn't get taken to the police station or read my rights. Just on the spot fine for me and my group of friends
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Wasn't under arrest *
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Just on the spot fine for me and my group of friends
I suggest you get a new set of friends.

Ian