Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B1 VISA for conducting research into a potential new business

B1 VISA for conducting research into a potential new business

Old Jan 1st 2015, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

miltones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B1 VISA for conducting research into a potential new business

Originally Posted by Hotscot
As long as everything falls into place.
80% of new businesses in the US fail.

Would you be competing with Rosetta Stone?
I'm definitely coming straight to you next time I need some frank, honest criticism.

Haha. No it's a services company. I hear RS is rubbish anyway. Duolingo is free and getting better all the time.

It's not a new business, per se. I would initially be rerouting US clients from the UK company. So that's a good base to start from. Excluding office setup, it would be profitable from day 1.

The business was setup 7 years ago and has been growing steadily since then. Last year has seen the strongest growth.

I can't see any reason why the model wouldn't work in the USA. If I can attract US clients from the UK. Then we should stand a chance of doing the same from within.

The US market is something I've felt guilty about not pursuing for a while.
Old Jan 1st 2015, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miltones

The US market is something I've felt guilty about not pursuing for a while.
At the end of the day it could be a great experience with, I assume, less risk than a new startup?

And if it failed by being economically nonviable, for whatever currently unknown local reasons, you'd still have the backup of the UK base?

I'm kinda doing the opposite, building up here, with a very defined captive customer base, but eventually hiring someone to run it when I come back home. (Or continue to run it myself but I'd need to travel back and forth a lot.)
Old Jan 1st 2015, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

miltones is an unknown quantity at this point

We should swap! What don't you like about doing business in the US?

I've done more research and it seems to me that L1-a might be even easier than E2.

I just need to rent an office, and file the petition. No need to spend 100k on cars with badges. The business needs weight of course, but was true of the E2 also.

My business has 18 employees FTE, and evidence of potential for US growth. This seems to tick all the boxes for transferring myself to a subsidiary office.

Any thoughts?