Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B1 changed to E2 how to apply for extension

B1 changed to E2 how to apply for extension

Old Nov 10th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

janetarthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B1 changed to E2 how to apply for extension

My husband & I moved to Florida in Sept 05. We came in on a B1 & then filed through Texas for a change of status to E2.This was all on the advice of our immigration attorney. It all went through & our present E2 expires in Feb 08.
One of our problems is that our attorney has changed firms & doesn't deal with immigration anymore. The other more pressing one is that our business is soley to do with property. We live in 1, long term local renters are in another 2 & our 4th is a 'flip'. As we haven't been able to fulfil our statements made in our original application, i.e projected profits, W2 employees etc what would be the chances of having the application for extension granted for say, another 2 years. We were lead to believe that all was going to be ok as my husbands employer would sponsor him, now they have come back after a year & said they will only sponsor pharmacists, so that's that!!!!!!

We would need to find a reasonably priced attorney to aid us with the application in the Orlando area. Does anyone know of one please?

Also a 'friend' has said just cut your losses & run, Texas won't entertain your renewal application. He knew someone in a very similar situation who just got on a plane & just left his house & everything, saying, they won't even bother to come after me. That to me just sounds totally illegal & abhorrent.

Mind you I can see why somebody would do this because you follow all their rules & regs, then something goes wrong like a property crash & what do you do.

If anybody out there has any ideas or suggestions please post them. I'm going out of my mind already, not knowing where to turn next
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B1 changed to E2 how to apply for extension

Originally Posted by janetarthur
Does anyone know of one please?
Start here: http://www.aila.org/.

Ian
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, Ian.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You can extend you I-94 thru the USCIS ...
you are just land locked ..you cannot leave ..
well you can but you won't be getting back in
until you go for visa renewal interview..

Your initial advice received was not the best ...
but it done more than it should be ..

If you have not reached the expected figures you may have problems
especially regarding US employees ..thats the whole idea
of that visa ...

More Florida E-2 advice at www.thefloridaforums.com

Edit ...Are you an E-2 manager or the more normal
E-2 business owner

Last edited by Ray; Nov 10th 2007 at 10:18 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The business does not sound E2 suitable.

But you ust have a lot of money tied up so dumping and running is unlikely to be of interest anyway.

Do you mind being landlocked?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Having read the full story elsewhere
unless the rents you are recieving are covering your cost
selling up ..even is this difficult market is pretty much
your only option ...

The Embassy would never have given you the E-2 visa
in the first place anyway ..
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
The business does not sound E2 suitable.

But you ust have a lot of money tied up so dumping and running is unlikely to be of interest anyway.

Do you mind being landlocked?
We don't have any issues in being landlocked at all. Our only priority is being able to stay in the US legally........Our rentals & my husbands salary covers all our mortgage costs so we are just about ok that way.
I know this will be a stupid question but how simply is it to get your 1-94 extended.......how do I go about it..I have no idea. I just can't think straight at the moment.........I'm just so worried!!!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have any issues in being landlocked at all. Our only priority is being able to stay in the US legally........Our rentals & my husbands salary covers all our mortgage costs so we are just about ok that way.
I know this will be a stupid question but how simply is it to get your 1-94 extended.......how do I go about it..I have no idea. I just can't think straight at the moment.........I'm just so worried!!!
Googling for "extend I-94" brought up this:

http://www.us-immigration-attorney.com/visa-i94.htm

Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Elvira.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

E2 requires a substantial investment of your own money, not borrowed.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
E2 requires a substantial investment of your own money, not borrowed.
Hi:

Not necessarily so.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

With everything I read so far there seems no point in throwing more money at the E-2 renewal process............when by all accounts we shouldn't have been let into the U.S. in the first place......So that aside, to give us more time to just try & sell our properties should we try & get a 2 year renewal on our I-94.

If so what's the best way of going about it? Would my husband still be entitled to carry on working because if he couldn't we wouldn't be able to survive financially?

Any ideas please anyone!!!!!

Last edited by janetarthur; Nov 11th 2007 at 5:47 pm. Reason: removed smiley
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

With everything I read so far there seems no point in throwing more money at the E-2 renewal process............when by all accounts we shouldn't have been let into the U.S. in the first place......So that aside, to give us more time to just try & sell our properties should we try & get a 2 year renewal on our I-94.

If so what's the best way of going about it? Would my husband still be entitled to carry on working because if he couldn't we wouldn't be able to survive financially?

I fear what you are asking is beyond the expertise and experience of most forum members. IMHO you need competent legal advice.

See Ian's post (# 2) above.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

I agree with your IMHO...............thanks for your input
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:09 pm
Ray

Iff Your husband got an EAD of the back of your E-2
then once the E-2 business has been sold or disposed off
then the EAD is invalid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.