Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B1/B2 or I visa with UK Police Caution

B1/B2 or I visa with UK Police Caution

Old May 17th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

intrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really nice
Default Re: B1/B2 or I visa with UK Police Caution

p.s. the medical cost £135.
Old May 17th 2010, 6:38 pm
Banned

bowenaj37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by intrepidtraveler
The only medication I take is for mild asthma, which I raised with the doctor. Otherwise I am young and healthy. The medical involved taking a urine sample, listening to my chest, checking my ears, eyes and mouth.

I ticked no to being a drug abuser or addict as I'm not.

Really, really hope they grant me the b2 visa when the result comes in.

Will keep you posted.
The fact they took it to the medical sounds like things are in your favour.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

intrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really niceintrepidtraveler is just really nice

I guess they could have denied the visa straight away at the interview if it was a categoric no.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:09 pm
Banned

bowenaj37 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess they could have denied the visa straight away at the interview if it was a categoric no.
Yeah they probably respect the fact you have been honest with them
Old May 26th 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Medical came back all clear. Results were sent to American Embassy on Monday. So just waiting for a response from them.....not sure how long it will take but I've been told it will be 5 - 10 days (that's what it says on the form they gave me after the interview).

Old May 26th 2010, 11:02 am
Just Joined

I have just received an email from the US Embassy.

My visa can now be issued! I am over the moon.

I hope this reassures anyone else in my position, especially with a drug caution. It doesn't necessarily mean you're inadmissible for life. You just have to prove the crime was a one off mistake and you're not an addict or a threat to American society.

I am so glad I was open and honest to the consulate. Especially as I hope to work there in the future.

Old May 26th 2010, 2:06 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to prove the crime was a one off mistake and you're not an addict or a threat to American society.
If your visa arrives without a waiver on it, you didn't even have to prove anything you just said.

With actual criminal convictions you either need a waiver or you don't. The consular officer determined that your caution was not an actual criminal conviction for US immigration purposes.

If you truly needed a waiver, you can't talk your way out of it by establishing it was a mistake. It doesn't work that way.

Congratulations and thank you for following up with us.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:04 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

It's my guess that the vx will arrive without any waiver notation. Things may have changed since the last time that I did a waiver at London, but the USCIS office in London takes at least 2-3 weeks to issue a waiver.

I suspect that the FSO just wanted assurance that the applicant was telling the truth and has been cleared.

--J
Old May 27th 2010, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

According to the email from the embassy the visa will take 5- 10 days to process. So does that mean I won't have to wait around for a waiver?

i.e. do you think there will be anything on the annotation part of my visa?

Here's the email I was sent.

-------------------

Dear Visa Applicant

Please be advised that we are now in a position to issue your U.S. visa. Please resubmit your passport to us for visa issuance. Note that you have three months from the date indicated above in which to resubmit your passport.

You are NOT required to complete a new DS-156 or 160 application form or submit a new photo.

Important Notice: Your application could take between 5 – 10 workdays to process once it has been received by the Embassy and this cannot be expedited. Once processing is complete, your passport will be handed to SMS. A further one to two days should be allowed for delivery.
Old May 27th 2010, 9:59 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

According to the email from the embassy the visa will take 5- 10 days to process. So does that mean I won't have to wait around for a waiver?
A waiver -- if any -- will be endorsed or written DIRECTLY on the visa, in the annotation section. So: if a waiver was actually done, it'll show on the vx.

--J
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

belge is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on receiving the visa.

Could you tell me how long, from ringing the embassy with the correct documents to having the visa delivered, the process took?
Old Jun 5th 2010, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone have any advice on what to expect at Port of Entry?

I'm assuming they will ask why I have the b1 / b2 visa.

Will I be taken off for a secondary interview?

Visiting NYC for tourism purposes at the end of the month. Have visited the states on VWP legally before my caution. This is the first visit since.

Cheers
Old Jun 5th 2010, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any advice on what to expect at Port of Entry?
You should expect that you will be asked a few questions - which you will answer honestly and succinctly without elaboration.

Ian
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:10 am
Just Joined

F1VisaApplicant is an unknown quantity at this point

intrepidtraveler,
Reading your posts has made me feel a litte better about my chances of getting a US visa. My case is rather similary to yours, and I really hope you end up getting your visa with no problems.<moderator snip>

Please reply here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672085

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 12th 2010 at 3:59 pm. Reason: question multiposted across threads