B-2 Visa as a UK Citizen

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Thellere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B-2 Visa as a UK Citizen

Hi all, I've done a little research and I've found posts on various message boards about how difficult it is to get a B-2 as a UK citizen.

From what I've read, the main issue is proving sufficient ties to the UK, which I understand, as a 20 year old, may be difficult. I have the following documents ready to go:

- Proof of student loan
- Proof of studying at university
- Business Ownership forms, proving I run a small business
- A bank statement and cost estimates, showing that I receive just enough money to keep me going for about 5 months and no longer

Would these be sufficient to prove ties to the UK? I know that having a return ticket is also advisable, but I don't intend to book the flight for a while yet. My trip is expected to last about 4.5 months, since I'm visiting my girlfriend and she's adamant about a road trip (can't say I'm too against it, some of the places she wants to take me look gorgeous on Google Images ) So entering under VWP is a bit too short a time. When we're not travelling, we'll either be staying at her apartment or with friends who've already agreed to put us up. Is a written statement enough to show that I'll have somewhere to stay?

Would these be enough to show proof of ties? If not, what other stuff can I take to prove ties?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Thellere; Dec 22nd 2014 at 2:31 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:46 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B-2 Visa as a UK Citizen

tbh I'd say your odds are not good

1) this doesn't show you are tied to the UK at all
2) if you are studying at university, how are you going to be away for 4.5 months?
3) if you own a business that you can be away for , for 4.5 months , it isn't a tie to the UK
4) shows that you have funds but not much else

your biggest hurdle is that the vwp would allow you to do what you want albeit only for 90 days, you have no real reason to need a B2.

you realise that being turned down for it may affect your chances of being able to use the vwp in future?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Contra logical.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to break up the sightseeing into 2 separate VWP trips, spending more than 90 days outside the USA in between visits.

A 20-year-old who is eligible for the VWP will most likely get a B2 visa denied, because there is no reason you need to stay in the USA longer than 90 days at a time.

If you do apply for the B2 and it gets denied, you will have trouble getting ESTA approved for the next 6 to 12 months. Make sure you're ok with that outcome before applying for the B2.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Your proofs are weak. No proofs are strong, a job (employment) and a mortgage are as good as it gets, and you can walk away from both.

As mentioned above, if you're turned down for a B2 you can also wave goodbye to an ESTA for 6-12 months, or more. Be thankful you have the VWP.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

And, if you go for the B2, you better have a return ticket with a clear return date, and a detailed itinerary of the lengthy road trip.

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thellere
From what I've read, the main issue is proving sufficient ties to the UK...
With respect, the main issue is not "proving sufficient ties to the UK". The main issue is people being greedy!

- Proof of student loan
- Proof of studying at university
- Business Ownership forms, proving I run a small business
- A bank statement and cost estimates, showing that I receive just enough money to keep me going for about 5 months and no longer
None of these show proof of your strong ties to the UK. Why? Because you could abandon any of them in an instant!

Would these be sufficient to prove ties to the UK?
No.

So entering under VWP is a bit too short a time.
You know what? That's just too frikkin' bad. There are, quite literally, hundreds of millions of people who do not have the opportunity you have... but, apparently, that's not good enough for you.

If you apply for a B-2 visa and it is denied for any reason whatsoever (including you being eligible to travel on the VWP), you must thereafter declare that visa denial on all subsequent US visa applications including ESTA. This will cause ESTA to also be denied and your plans to holiday in the US will come to a very abrupt end.

Is a written statement enough to show that I'll have somewhere to stay?
No.

Would these be enough to show proof of ties?
No.

You likely don't want my advice, but I'm going to offer it anyway: don't be greedy... you'll end up getting burned.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

An in-depth review of OP's situation might be in order. There may be other factors to crank in. It depends sometimes on how it is presented. Also, sometimes, a person just looks trustworthy. [Yeah, I know it is subjective].

The posts here do give the negative factors and it may very well be likely that they will cause a denial. But every case is a matter of weighing positive and negatives.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
.... every case is a matter of weighing positive and negatives.
Indeed. .... "Do I want a four month trip or a zero month trip?"
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

I have seen a few approvals in what seemed similar circumstances.

Just from my observation, but how do you present your case?

Fill the form in, turn up , couple of questions and that is it.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:19 pm

It may just be a cräp shoot. In truth nobody knows but the consular officer who approves or denies the application.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Upside is known, you get one.

Downside is a waste of time and money applying and potential impact on VWP.

Your call.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, the main issue is not "proving sufficient ties to the UK". The main issue is people being greedy!

None of these show proof of your strong ties to the UK. Why? Because you could abandon any of them in an instant!

No.

You know what? That's just too frikkin' bad. There are, quite literally, hundreds of millions of people who do not have the opportunity you have... but, apparently, that's not good enough for you.

If you apply for a B-2 visa and it is denied for any reason whatsoever (including you being eligible to travel on the VWP), you must thereafter declare that visa denial on all subsequent US visa applications including ESTA. This will cause ESTA to also be denied and your plans to holiday in the US will come to a very abrupt end.

No.

No.

You likely don't want my advice, but I'm going to offer it anyway: don't be greedy... you'll end up getting burned.

Ian
But Ian you could abandon anything in an instant. You can quit any job no matter how good. You can sell a house long distance and live on the money. You can even leave your kids behind. This is all the guy has if that is not enough what the hell do they want?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
But Ian you could abandon anything in an instant. You can quit any job no matter how good. You can sell a house long distance and live on the money. You can even leave your kids behind. This is all the guy has if that is not enough what the hell do they want?
A story that adds up?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
But Ian you could abandon anything in an instant.
Correct.

You can quit any job no matter how good. You can sell a house long distance and live on the money. You can even leave your kids behind.
Yup - all true. In fact, over the years, this forum has seen people do all of these - yes, including leaving their kids.

People from VWP countries are privileged... but, invariably, someone decides that 90 days just isn't good enough - and we have all been witness to the results of that poor decision.

This is all the guy has if that is not enough what the hell do they want?
They want him not to apply for a B-2 visa... it's as simple as that. If he does apply, then he must be prepared for the consequences. As I said earlier: people are greedy... and all they know is that they want. And, as every member here knows, the US government simply doesn't care about what you want.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.