Applying for N400 - finally.

Old Aug 10th 2017, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for N400 - finally.

Originally Posted by Adnams
Whats NY's?
With respect, it's irrelevant - since you don't live there. If you live in Indiana, you'll be interviewed in Indianapolis... but you send the application to the Chicago Lock Box.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
NYC was showing as processing priority dates of Sept 10th 2016 as of the end of June, but I received my interview letter early in July and my priority date was Dec 27th 2016 so I wouldn't necessarily take what USCIS publishes as gospel. Are you sure your field office (where you'll have the interview) is Chicago? The page for Indiana shows only four counties (I'm guessing those closest) as being handled by Chicago with the rest of the state being handled by Indianapolis.

Bear in mind that irrespective of which office will handle your case, you send your N-400 to Chicago - and to the lockbox address given on the USCIS N-400 page, not the field office address.
Yes I am sure its Chicago, but and I'm guessing here, we would interview, bio, oath etc in Indianapolis. Do you mind me asking when you filed, considering that you received your interview letter in July.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, it's irrelevant - since you don't live there. If you live in Indiana, you'll be interviewed in Indianapolis... but you send the application to the Chicago Lock Box.

Ian
I was just being curious as to relative times.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am sure its Chicago, but and I'm guessing here, we would interview, bio, oath etc in Indianapolis. Do you mind me asking when you filed, considering that you received your interview letter in July.
Do you read all the replies to your questions or just pick one that you like?

The poster you are questioning lives in NYS. He interviewed in NYS. It does not matter where he filed or what his timeline is. Besides which he answered those questions in post #14.

Unless you want to move to NYS and wait out the three months of continuous residency there before you are qualified to file, then his filing office and timeline is irrelevant to you.

You've been told that you need to file at the Chicago office and will interview in Indianapolis. There is no guessing about it ... it is fact.

May I suggest that perhaps you would benefit from the services of an experienced immigration attorney to help you and your become US Citizens.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Do you read all the replies to your questions or just pick one that you like?

The poster you are questioning lives in NYS. He interviewed in NYS. It does not matter where he filed or what his timeline is. Besides which he answered those questions in post #14.

Unless you want to move to NYS and wait out the three months of continuous residency there before you are qualified to file, then his filing office and timeline is irrelevant to you.

You've been told that you need to file at the Chicago office and will interview in Indianapolis. There is no guessing about it ... it is fact.

May I suggest that perhaps you would benefit from the services of an experienced immigration attorney to help you and your become US Citizens.
Wow, take it easy, seriously!? I read all the replies thank you very much. I was simply curious as to the NyC posters relative processing times purely as an interesting point. I clearly understand that we don't file through that location. And yup we used our companies immigration attorney to get our original visas and Gc's it was a nightmare so that's why this time we're flying solo. Having been a Member of this site for a long long time I'm surprised at your attitude..
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:16 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding travel restrictions, note that between the oath ceremony and applying for & receiving a US passport, you are essentially land locked, as US Citizen MUST use a US passport to (re)enter US. It only takes 3 or 4 weeks, or I think you can do same day if you want to jump through extra hoops.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You checked the link I gave you and confirmed you're not in one of the four or five Indiana counties that are served by the Chicago field office? You are correct that your interview will be at the field office (probably Indianapolis, maybe Chicago).

Your oath ceremony may be at the field office, or at a courthouse, or if your approval is close to a "patriotic" holiday like 4th July, you might be part of a mass ceremony at a large venue to mark the holiday.

Your biometrics will be done at an application support center, of which there are a lot more than there are field offices, so it might well be closer to your home than the field office you interview at.

I mentioned in my previous post that my priority date is December 27th 2016. That was the date USCIS accepted my application, which I mailed to them a week or so before.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.
I was under the impression that we had to renounce our Uk citizenship and handover our UK passports at the "ceremony"? Is that not the case then? And if we refuse to handover passports or renounce our UK citizenship can the officer refuse our application?
The actual wording in the oath is:
I, [NAME], hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...

This is what I said at my ceremony last Friday. I handed over my green card but the USCIS officer didn't even look at my passports (I took them as travel docs as instructed). I've now applied for US passport which will take 3 weeks (expedited) and processing in 6-8 weeks standard service.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 10:04 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Adnams;12313921]
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, of course!

You don't have to do anything at all. The UK - not the US - determines who is or isn't a UK citizen. You don't lose UK citizenship by becoming US citizens. One has nothing to do with the other. The US has no authority or ability whatsoever to influence your status as UK citizens.

No, unless your UK passports are expired.

Thanks for your help.
I was under the impression that we had to renounce our Uk citizenship and handover our UK passports at the "ceremony"? Is that not the case then? And if we refuse to handover passports or renounce our UK citizenship can the officer refuse our application?
As one Brit friend noted "I told Liz to go to hell. Liz said I can't do that." The fine print in a US passport has warnings about dual citizenship and implications thereof.

But what happens is that US requires a renunciation while HM government does not recognize the renunciation.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

So finally got the N400 fed-exed off overnight today, yep only took us three weeks of dithering. Anyway I know our processing center is approx nine months behind but I just wondered how long it usually takes for them to enter our forms into their system and moreover how long does it usually take from their receipt of our forms to them processing the CC payment?
Anyone got recent experience of this?
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

So finally got the N400 fed-exed off overnight today, yep only took us three weeks of dithering. Anyway I know our processing center is approx nine months behind but I just wondered how long it usually takes for them to enter our forms into their system and moreover how long does it usually take from their receipt of our forms to them processing the CC payment?
I filed an application within the last 12 months, so recent-ish I guess, receipt was pretty quick and a biometrics appointment within 2 weeks of filing, but that's been pretty standard in my experience. It's the waiting for processing that takes the months.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow, that seems quick for biometrics. Ty
Old Sep 5th 2017, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry they'll be really quick at taking your money.