Applying for a B2 UK citizen

Old Apr 17th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

butterz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a B2 UK citizen

Hi all.

My wife is planning a trip to the US to visit her friend who is having a serious bit or surgery. She would like to stay for a more than 3 months. I have been reading the threads and it seems like its quite difficult to get B2 if you are eligible for the VWP. I will be here and will support her financially and additionally she is staying with one of our friends and she will also be helping her out. Do you think the following documents would be enough, what other documents would you recommend. She is employed at the moment but it is temporary so cant get a letter from there.

council tax.
letter and bank statements from friend.
our bank statements.
proof of marriage?

Or do you think its pointless to apply. she has a valid ESTA from last year and we have been numerous times. we even went to college there.

I believe she has booked the appointment and may have paid. Should she just cancel it and shorten the trip.

Thanks
Old Apr 17th 2015, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a B2 UK citizen

If she has paid, it is too late to cancel. The result will be either approval or denial. If denied she will need to redo ESTA.

If she hasn't paid, she can let the application lapse and continue using her current ESTA.
Old Apr 17th 2015, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by butterz
I believe she has booked the appointment and may have paid.
There are only two possible outcomes from a visa application: approval or denial. Anything that isn't an approval, is a denial... anything at all - including her not needing a visa because she's eligible to use the VWP. If she has paid and tries to cancel or withdraw the visa application, the visa will be marked as denied - because it clearly wasn't approved. That visa denial will have to be declared on every subsequent US visa application - including ESTA - and will also then cause ESTA to be denied. That will effectively prohibit her from coming to the US at all for 6-12 months.

So, if she's paid and she doesn't want to have an automatic denial on her record, she must attend the interview for the visa and hope for the best.

If, however, she hasn't paid - she can let the appointment lapse and simply use her current ESTA. She doesn't need to cancel or withdraw the appointment.

Ian
Old Apr 17th 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

yeah I see that you cant cancel. and i think shes paid just saw pdf with the confirmation of appointment. Guess we just have to go and hope for the best.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:13 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Not many friends globe trot for a few months to be a home health aid for free while leaving their spouse. Most people can't afford it, and the people who can afford it can also afford to come back home intermittently. Unless you wealthy and retired, the Consular Officer will think the story is bogus. They'll suspect that the B visa is being sought to pave the way for a change of status or some other outcome. Can't say I blame them.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She might want to review the activities permitted as a visitor.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Whats that supposed to mean? I don't like what you guys are insinuating here.

Its seems tricky to get a B-2 for some reason all I am interested in is whether there is a way to strengthen the application. For example showing that you can afford it is a good start if there are any suggestions like that would be great. Otherwise thanks for your time.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 11:07 am
Account Closed

You said she is reliant on being funded by you.

Anyway let us know how it goes.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Whats that supposed to mean? I don't like what you guys are insinuating here. .....
We're trying to warn you how the consular officials who process visas think. Ties to the UK are a good thing, ties to the US may have negative connotations.

As was observed on another thread recently, we may be seeing a disproportionate number of B2 rejections here on BE.

In the light of what Boiler said, your wife will need to be very careful how she presents the purpose of her visit, lest it look like she is coming to work as a domestic helper or provide nursing assistance. "Imported domestic staff" is a particular concern for the US, and if your wife gets a B2 she should be very careful about what she tells the immigration officer when she arrives in the US, because if it sounds to him like she is coming to work she is going to get sent back despite having the visa.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Seemingly she has no ties to the UK of consequence not something she can manufacture.

People with ties would not be looking at spending six months in another country staying with a friend.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 7:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Its seems tricky to get a B-2 for some reason all I am interested in is whether there is a way to strengthen the application.
Yes, it's tricky to get a B-2 if you are otherwise eligible to use the VWP. There are ways to strengthen some applications...but for your case, I don't see any way.

Rene
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

I guess its hard to figure out what can prove that she has good ties. If having a husband and family living here aren't good enough then what would. In some threads people with businesses and mortgages seem to have problems as well.

Originally Posted by Boiler
People with ties would not be looking at spending six months in another country staying with a friend.
Things happen in life sometimes you have go and do the unexpected.

well nothing to do now just have to hope for the best and try to collect and documents that seem relevant.