Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for B2 in London being Norwegian, and after K1

Applying for B2 in London being Norwegian, and after K1

Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Angel Flower is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Applying for B2 in London being Norwegian, and after K1

Hi all,

I am a Norwegian citizen who moved to the UK in Jan. 2007.
I went to visit the US for the first time in my life Feb, 08 for 2 weeks, then Summer 08 for 5 weeks or so, then Fall 08 for 90 days.

I met my love in the Fall of 08 therefore I stayed some weeks longer than planned.

Day 90 I went to enter Canada through Vancouver and one officer there denied me entry as I hadn't been in Europe since June, plus not printed my return ticket and bank statements. I had a tourist visa for Canada in that passport. They sent me back to the US and I got 1, 5 day overstay as had to look for a flight out to Mexico Instead. So not my fault, I intended to leave on time..

In Jan 09 I wanted to go over from Mexico to the US to visit my boyfriend, but got denied entry and sent to London on a plane.

Me and my boyfriend were adviced to apply for K1 visa, which we did and it took very long time..

I was in the US on it and he was abusive, and we ended up not marrying... very sad after all that work..

so now, I still want to be able to visit the US on a B2 maybe.
I have my spiritual organization there and they have an annual Summer gathering i would like to attend every year.

I was thinking about applying in London since we've lived there for a few years.

My friends who had few days overstay got a ten year B2 visa. They were not asked any docs and both were English.
I don't have any ties to Norway except my family and an online business. I could also apply in Oslo, since my citizenship is Norwegian,. but I've heard they easier give B2 visas in London and I 'd rather live in the UK if I had to choose. Another thing I may do is to move to Peru and buy land there, live there and work with yoga and healing. If this does happen, I would be applying in Lima showing my ties to Peru, like the land, the yogacentre etc. my legal status. I guess this could work. I think I will be spending quite much time in Peru in future and won't be in Europe except sometimes...

I could provide letter from my family, the business possibly and also an invitation from the spiritual organization in California. It's essential that I attend those gatherings for my spiritual work here and my own evolution and healing.. I have no intention of moving there now when my fiance left me and was abusive...it's not that interesting anymore...

I am sure there must be a way I could visit as a tourist.. i am from a rich, Western country with good relations to the US and a big family in Norway.

In all this I have my son of soon 12 years old who has been and will be accompanying me.

Thanks for any tips and advice! My feeling is to apply in London few months after I left the US ON TIME with the K1 and explain what happened that we didn't marry , plus when I was overstayed that it wan't my fault.

Hope to get this sorted once and for all! Thanks for any inputs!

Blessings,

Angel
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Doeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to beholdDoeman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Applying for B2 in London being Norwegian, and after K1

I'm far from qualified to give advice, but perhaps I can offer some pointers. If you've overstayed a visa previously it will negatively impact your chances of being able to travel to the US in the future. Same things goes for being denied entry in the past. I wouldn't keep my hopes up but maybe there's a small chance you'll be able to obtain a B2.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for reply. Yes, I know this. But the overstay wasn't my fault and was just 1, 5 day and the entry denial also just due to that 1, 5 days which wasn't my fault and also due to that I told about the relationship. I know that for overstays over 180 days, one gets blocked for 3 years and overstays over one year, the block is for 10 years. I have just 1, 5 day overstay and had bad luck with my fiance.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:09 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The US does not care if it wasn't your fault - you should have planned ahead and ensured you would not outstay your welcome. Will you get the B2? Maybe, maybe not - no one can give you a percentage figure.

Thanks for any tips and advice! My feeling is to apply in London few months after I left the US ON TIME with the K1 and explain what happened that we didn't marry , plus when I was overstayed that it wan't my fault.
To be clear, are you in the US at the moment? The tenses you use in this sentence are very confusing.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 10:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angel Flower
I don't have any ties to Norway except my family and an online business.
Since you're living in the UK now, you don't need to show ties specifically to Norway, but you do need to show some ties outside the USA...could be in the UK or elsewhere.

I am sure there must be a way I could visit as a tourist.. i am from a rich, Western country with good relations to the US and a big family in Norway.
Your family is not considered any kind of tie in the eyes of immigration. But the only way for you to visit the USA right now is to apply for a B-2 visa, since you can't use the VWP anymore.

Not to burst your bubble, but although your intentions were good, the VWP overstay was your fault (immigration won't see it any other way). The only way it wouldn't be your fault is if there were weather delays or you were in the hospital and couldn't travel.

When you apply for the B-2, bring proof of 1) evidence that you do not intend to remain in the USA; 2) evidence that you must return to your residence outside the USA; and 3) evidence that you have the funds to cover you for the length of your visit in the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies!

In terms of evidence that one do not intend to stay in the US, can you please give some examples?
Could the fact that I have a son 12 year old be a fact? Maybe I would go for the spiritual gathering alone and he would stay with family or friends in Europe as the gathering isn't for kids anyway. I could make it a shorter trip, say 2 weeks.

And maybe work commitments/ service projects I am part of could be evidence I intend to return?

Perhaps also a rental agreement or proof of house if I own one, could be evidence?

And maybe even a letter from my past fiance that we are not together and will not be?

Funds would be no problem to prove. I could bring a bank statement.

Is my online business enough as proof that I need to return as I can only have someone else manage it for a short time. Please let me know. I am self emlpyed and will continue to be.

And how many months after returning from the K1 is it advice able to wait before applying? Is 3 months enough? Or a year better?

I could certainly find the paper from that one time I wad denied entry in case they needed to look at it.

Also, as said, the spiritual organization I am a member of could write an invitation to the Summer gathering. I am also doing volunteer work with this organization for a while. I guess this would help?

Thanks and blessings
Old Feb 14th 2014, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

And by the way, seems good that I may apply in London instead of Oslo in the case. I do plan to buy land in Peru as well, which would be a good tie outside the US!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of evidence that one do not intend to stay in the US, can you please give some examples?
The main ones people use are: proof of a residence outside the USA that you don't intend to abandon, a letter from an employer stating when you'll be back at work, a letter or other proof from school with a date that you need to be back to attend class. That sort of thing.

Could the fact that I have a son 12 year old be a fact?
Perhaps if he stays behind, might be a way of showing you need to return to him.

And maybe even a letter from my past fiance that we are not together and will not be?
No. This does nothing for you, and would raise more questions instead of proving anything.

Is my online business enough as proof that I need to return as I can only have someone else manage it for a short time. Please let me know. I am self emlpyed and will continue to be.
Being self employed may be a problem.

And how many months after returning from the K1 is it advice able to wait before applying? Is 3 months enough? Or a year better?
There is no set time frame.

Also, as said, the spiritual organization I am a member of could write an invitation to the Summer gathering. I am also doing volunteer work with this organization for a while. I guess this would help?
Will you be doing that volunteer work while you are in the USA? That's a potential problem, too.

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:01 am

And by the way, seems good that I may apply in London instead of Oslo in the case. I do plan to buy land in Peru as well, which would be a good tie outside the US!
I don't see how owning land in Peru is going to help you. Unless that is your main residence outside the USA and you can prove it.

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rene!

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I do think that if my son stayed behind, that would indeed show that I need to return to Europe.

I would be living between Peru and Europe. I do not live just one place. I spend some time each year in Peru and this time could potentially grow if I start projects there for the inka people, I am starting a non profit organization so when that happens, I will be very busy.

In the US I would just be a tourist

Traveling and attending the gathering.

Being self employed is best for me, I have many courses and qualities I can use being self employed, but if it is necessary for the visa, i could potentially be employed for a few months. But it does not feel right to do that when I know that my work is in my fields that I am educated in and I can earn more doing that and help more people doing that! I would think they would understand that people have different qualities and would work with different things!

I will not be going to school and my son is homeschooled, but I don't need to tell that, it is my choice. The fact that he would stay behind, would be enough.
If I owned land in Peru and had projects there, I could be able to prove that. But it may take some months/ a year or two before I am able to purchase this land. It's a long term project.

Thanks!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

PS! What about ESTA? I have read that people sometimes get it through despite that they have been denied at the border or had a short overstay. Can this be true? Thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:38 am

PS! What about ESTA? I have read that people sometimes get it through despite that they have been denied at the border or had a short overstay. Can this be true? Thanks.
Since you previously overstayed on a VWP trip, you can no longer use the VWP, ever. So ESTA does not apply to you in your situation. ESTA is simply a pre-clearance to travel on VWP, which you no longer qualify for.

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Yes, this is what I figured, just wanted to clarify.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 5:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have thought you will be hard pushed to get it through for this summer so it may be moot.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for reply. Yes, I know this. But the overstay wasn't my fault and was just 1, 5 day and the entry denial also just due to that 1, 5 days which wasn't my fault and also due to that I told about the relationship. I know that for overstays over 180 days, one gets blocked for 3 years and overstays over one year, the block is for 10 years. I have just 1, 5 day overstay and had bad luck with my fiance.
To clarify, the overstay was your fault. You are never guaranteed entry into a country you are not a citizen of and you didn't plan properly just in case something went wrong. You can blame others or circumstances but at the end of the day its up to you to ensure you leave on time, which you didn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.