Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Apply to ESTA or Apply for visa for Criminal Record Issues

Apply to ESTA or Apply for visa for Criminal Record Issues

Old Jul 7th 2014, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Pippy0512 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apply to ESTA or Apply for visa for Criminal Record Issues

I can not believe that application just cost me $160!!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 6:12 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pippy0512
I can not believe that application just cost me $160!!
If you applied for a waiver directly with DHS, it would have been $585.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Ok thought I would update this thread, I had my meeting at the American embassy Monday morning along with the other 900 people that seemed to turn up! 3 hours later and the lovely American lady behind the counter told me my visa has been approved! Hooray! Honeymoon here we come :-)
My only question now is do I still need an ETSA?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you got a B2 visa, you no longer need ESTA approval. ESTA approval is only for traveling on the VWP.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

ihaveavisa is an unknown quantity at this point

no you don't need a ESTA ,depending who you are flying with you may not be able to use online check in as their system will think you need one

so you may want to get to the check in desk early so you can select decent seats
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

taiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to alltaiwanluthiers is a name known to all

Depending on airline... for Korean Air I can still select seats, the only thing you can't do is print out boarding pass ahead of time and stuff, as they will want to see your visa. In some cases you could basically check in, and then you print out something which has to be brought to the check in desk where they verify that you have a visa.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 9:37 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

When I travelled with my B visa, I had an early flight and needed to stay overnight at Heathrow airport. So after travelling up there the day before, I went to the airline ticket agent desk in the terminal and explained that I wanted to check-in at home but wasn't able to, due to having a visa and not an ESTA authorisation.

The ticket clerk happily input my visa details into the booking system, which then allowed me to check-in there and then at one of the computerised kiosks. Meaning that when I arrived for my flight the following morning, I was able to bypass the HUGE queue at regular check-in and stroll immediately up to the fast bag drop that had nobody waiting in line and present my pre-printed boarding pass.

It basically took me 5-10 minutes from getting off the bus outside Terminal 4 to getting airside and taking a seat at the gate facing my plane.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
When I travelled with my B visa, I had an early flight and needed to stay overnight at Heathrow airport. So after travelling up there the day before, I went to the airline ticket agent desk in the terminal and explained that I wanted to check-in at home but wasn't able to, due to having a visa and not an ESTA authorisation.

The ticket clerk happily input my visa details into the booking system, which then allowed me to check-in there and then at one of the computerised kiosks. Meaning that when I arrived for my flight the following morning, I was able to bypass the HUGE queue at regular check-in and stroll immediately up to the fast bag drop that had nobody waiting in line and present my pre-printed boarding pass.

It basically took me 5-10 minutes from getting off the bus outside Terminal 4 to getting airside and taking a seat at the gate facing my plane.
Which Airline did you fly with?

I am booked on Virgin flights next June :-)
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pippy0512
Which Airline did you fly with?

I am booked on Virgin flights next June :-)
Continental (now United). This was back in 2011.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Meaning that when I arrived for my flight the following morning, I was able to bypass the HUGE queue at regular check-in and stroll immediately up to the fast bag drop that had nobody waiting in line and present my pre-printed boarding pass.
This was an utterly brilliant idea!

Ian