Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Applied for Citizenship.. Green Card now Expired

Applied for Citizenship.. Green Card now Expired

Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

DuncanCunningham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applied for Citizenship.. Green Card now Expired

So I moved here in 2001. IR1 Visa. After a few years the conditions were removed and I got my Permanent Resident Card. It was renewed in 2007 (for 10 years) and I was told that I could apply for Citizenship as I was eligible. i didn't have the money for that back then.

Come to 2017 and I finally decide that i should apply for Citizenship, in November. I then discover that my Green card has expired. It seems as though the process to get citizenship is much longer than I had anticipated.. like 18 months.

The problem I have is this. Should I need to find another job I can not use my Green card anymore because it has expired. I don't have the $500+ to renew it as I spent a good $700+ on the citizenship application.

I've read that I can get my passport stamped but the details are vague and I've been unable to figure out what to do. Contacting the USCIS is well nigh impossible for me.

Do I have no other choice but to apply to renew my green card or can I have my passport stamped quickly so I can prove my legal status for getting a job, should I need to?

I've had a job for over 10 years so I kind of forgot about all of this stuff.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applied for Citizenship.. Green Card now Expired

Can you use your social security card to satisfy the I-9?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

For a job, all you would need to show is a State ID or driving license and unrestricted SS card. No need to shore a green card or passport stamp.

If you want to travel abroad, that's different, then you would need an I-551 stamp in your passport.

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Can you use your social security card to satisfy the I-9?
One thing from column B and one thing from column C. SS card plus something else.

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
One thing from column B and one thing from column C. SS card plus something else.

Rene
ok, so I'm looking at wikipedia about I-9s

So if I don't have an item from List A, I need a item from List B and C

List A;
An unexpired U.S. Passport
A U.S. Passport Card
A Permanent Resident Card
An unexpired Temporary Resident Card
An unexpired foreign passport with an I-551 stamp, or with Form I-94
An unexpired Employment Authorization Document
An unexpired Employment Authorization Card

I thought that my only option was to get a I-551 Stamp in my passport.

I'm looking through the lists B and C. I think I might be able to pull off a Drivers Licence and SS card. Not looked at the SS card in ages, might have a get a new one of those too.

thanks Guys.. you ROCK!!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DuncanCunningham
thanks Guys.. you ROCK!!
No problem
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:48 pm

If your SSC does not have the legend "for use only with DHS authorization", you're good to go.

If it has the legend, you might have trouble now getting it removed, until you become a USC, because you don't have proof of current status. Even an I-551 stamp in your passport will only be valid for 6 months, so I'm not sure SS would accept that... but you could try.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

I have a friend who works in a recruiting role. He told me that if they ran a E-verify, it would pop up a flag to prompt the person processing the SSN to ask for further proof from me. this means that I'm screwed unless I pay out another $600 to get my green card renewed before the citizenship process is complete.

My status hasn't changed, i just haven't paid my ongoing fee, which is what it is, to the US government for a card that tells people that my status hasn't changed in the last 10 years. I see no reason how it could change unless I was really naughty or something.

So, I do have to renew my green card to just prove what is already known. I guess it is like a DL, yeah you've not suddenly failed the test but you have to pay to renew it so it is in line with the latest cards out there.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:36 pm

Since your status does not expire, I don't understand why e-verify would flag anything. Your status as a PR allows you to work, and that hasn't expired.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Start a job and see what happens. Don't need to sit around and complain about a possible scenario.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since your status does not expire, I don't understand why e-verify would flag anything. Your status as a PR allows you to work, and that hasn't expired.

Rene
I don't know, either. I applied for my UK passport to be renewed and that was a piece of cake and fast.. i had it in my hand 1 month after I applied for it online and the website was great.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:55 pm

I don't know, either. I've been here just over 16 years and I'm still surprised by some of the stuff that goes down.

I applied for my UK passport to be renewed and that was a piece of cake and fast.. i had it in my hand 1 month after I applied for it online and the website was great.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on your friend's information. The green card is just proof the status, not the status itself. The card might expire, but your status does not.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Start a job and see what happens. Don't need to sit around and complain about a possible scenario.
I'm not complaining, and I already have a job thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what would happen if I had to change jobs. I like to know what I'm getting myself into and do my best to not go into something blind and then have others help me clean up the mess I made due to my ignorance.

If you don't want to see any further updates to this thread I'm sure you can figure out a way to unsub it.

Last edited by DuncanCunningham; Jan 24th 2018 at 9:07 pm. Reason: adding more details rather than a new post.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to figure out what would happen. I like to know what I'm getting myself into and if you don't want to see any further updates to this thread I'm sure you can figure out a way to unsub it.
You got given answers from this forum (including me) then received contradicting advice from someone else. Sounds to me like it's come full circle.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 9:08 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Very few jobs require a green card if you have other proof of work authorization. Those few are largely related to law enforcement and positions subject to export control restrictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.